Damn the Torpedoes, Mobile Bay, August 6-8, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn the Torpedoes, Mobile Bay, August 6-8, 2010

An authentic US and CS Navy event, 145th Annivarsary of the Battle of Mobile Bay. Includes School of the Sailor ashore and afloat, events for the public, and memorial activities. Exact costs will be figured in January. Post here or PM for further information, and see the attached handbills.
    Attached Files
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
    William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Re: Damn the Torpedoes, Mobile Bay, August 6-8, 2010

Actually, this is the 146th, not 145th. But come anyways!
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."

Comment

I await with eager anticipation.
      Steven Flibotte
      Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
      Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
      Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Comment

Shantyman, where are located?
        [FONT="Arial Black"][I][/I][/FONT] Jamey B Creel
        CSS Tallahassee Marine Guard
        ggg-grandfather Duncan Stievender Creel, pvt Confederate Marine Corp / gg-grandfather George Shelton Pickle, 51st GA, CO A

Comment

I wish this was closer for us to attend..Sounds like a great opportunity for education in the Navy way..Not enough out there for Naval impressions I would love to see more of it.
          Matt Burbank
          25th MVI Co.H
          29th MVI
          New England Brigade

Comment

This event is not happening. Sorry. There are suitable boats out there across the appropriate, historical ports of call. Naval kit is pretty easy to sew in terms of relative garment complexity. Make it happen. I couldn't, even using Bob as a shill.

Go to Steven Hesson's CW Navy group on yahoo. I seem to have gotten the heave ho from there.

Chris Rideout
            Tampa, Florida

Comment

Huh? None of your post makes sense, Chris.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                Huh? None of your post makes sense, Chris.
                Nutin' new there.

The event is canceled. I was for want of a kewler moniker the man behind the curtain and Bob was the pretty face.

There is plenty of oppty to put together a great naval event as this one could have been if not for my utterly repellent ways and the total ruination of any standing / relationships I once may have had in this hobby.

CJ Rideout
                Tampa, Florida

Comment

PM sent.

- Silas Tackitt
                  Silas Tackitt,
                  one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Chris -
                    You're losing forum privileges faster than we're making forums. Cool it.
                    Paul Calloway
                    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                    Proud Member of the GHTI
                    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

No heat here....just update.

Thanks

Chris Rideout
                      Tampa, Florida
                      Last edited by OldKingCrow; 03-24-2010, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
                        This event is not happening. Sorry. There are suitable boats out there across the appropriate, historical ports of call. Naval kit is pretty easy to sew in terms of relative garment complexity. Make it happen. I couldn't, even using Bob as a shill.

Go to Steven Hesson's CW Navy group on yahoo. I seem to have gotten the heave ho from there.

Chris Rideout
                        Tampa, Florida
                        Chris, Sorry this didn't work out. There is/was interest from some folks on this forum , I just couldn't participate at this time. I directed them to you for further information on the event as I didn't feel I had all the information and you were actually honchoing the gig. I personnaly would love to participate in the event you were working on. I just have too many other obligations that were previously layed on to devote the time and funding to it at this time. And, I don't have a forum on Yahoo. That forum is run by a guy in Norfolk, and is pretty hard core Mainstream, so you wouldn't get much from there as far assistance or participation, especially if they would have actually pay to participate.

The thing to keep in mind is, that at best, for the majority of folks who would be interested in an authentic Naval event, it would be a secondary impression. They would have to research an impression and then put it together. Then research the event from the "Wet" side. And, most of those folks already had their season planned out. I am actually putting together uniforms for guys that were looking at participating in your event and sending them general "Sailor LIfe" information to get a base line knowledge of the impression.

Just because I said I couldn't personaly participate in this event does not mean I am not interested and wouldn't assist as I could. I hadn't heard any more about the event either from you, or posts on any of the assorted forums since it was first proposed. I didn't think it was my place to bother you for info since I could not be there. I thought that if you needed help, you would ask.

Steve Hesson

Comment

No worries, Steve....you're a good man and a fine sutler. I knew early on from our conversations you couldn't make it. As a satisfied customer of yours, I was hoping to drum up naval kit needs to send your way. I tried to post on the CW Navy forum where I am banned (which I don't get as I had all of like three completely on point posts over there). Then others involved don't respond to my emails and I tried to get word through alternate channels via some here to no avail.

It was just an effort to put a small "at sea" event together...... not a request for folks to be my B.F.F., pay for my health insurance or let me date their sisters.

CJ Rideout
                          Tampa, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
                            No worries, Steve....you're a good man and a fine sutler. I knew early on from our conversations you couldn't make it. As a satisfied customer of yours, I was hoping to drum up naval kit needs to send your way. I tried to post on the CW Navy forum where I am banned (which I don't get as I had all of like three completely on point posts over there). Then others involved don't respond to my emails and I tried to get word through alternate channels via some here to no avail.

It was just an effort to put a small "at sea" event together...... not a request for folks to be my B.F.F., pay for my health insurance or let me date their sisters.

CJ Rideout
                            Tampa, Florida
                            You got BANNED over there! Holy Crap, I've seen verbel fist fights (including the "If I see you at an event, I'm gonna....) break out over there and not result in anything. What did they ban you for? You were one of the most civil and articulate posters there. BTW, my health insurance is covered, and my sister is a Senior Chiefin the Navy, married to a Senior Chief in Hawaii. She used to live in Tampa and hated it, so that was never an issue. Any way, keep in touch, there are guys putting together Naval impressions who are interested in doing it right. They just need time to get it all together. You know how those wild eyed evil Authentica are, gotta research everything and make sure every thing is squared away before they'll attempt to protray history. They really are a pain with all that accuracy and authenticity!

Steve Hesson

Comment

Yes, it does look like the event is cancelled. Unless someone down South (or elsewhere) is able to step in and complete planning, consider this a non-event. Most unfortunate. Perhaps we should start planning now for the 2012 150th...

Comment

Working...
                              X