Want to build a fort?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Want to build a fort?

Being only 2 hours away, you can count me in!
    Preston Todd
    Hard Case Boys
    Top Rail Mess

Comment

"Yes, I would definitely be there unless major catastrophes get in the way" !!!!!!!!!!
      Steven Brewington

Comment

Originally posted by Eureka Independent View Post
        Hi Michael,

Man what a fantastic event idea! Count me in!

Don S
        Don,

I am sure that we will need an injunear for the project. :)

RM
        Rod Miller
        [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
        A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
        1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
        1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
        1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
        1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
        Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
        1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
        Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Hi,

I would most certainly try to get out to this event.
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Michael,
            any updates?
            Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
            WIG/GVB
            In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

At this point, all interested parties are pretty much on board with the idea. The big hurdle of course will be the land. That one is being worked on. There is enthusiasm for the project among the city council and the chamber of commerce so that's one big potential sticking point out of the way. With them backing the idea, I think the land will take care of itself.

I will post any info I get on this thread until the project is a definite go and then will begin one in the events forum.
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

What an interesting proposal. I teach site engineering at a college and have studied and researched 19th century field engineering. I had the honor of planning and laying out nearly 600' of parapet and two batteries in New York some years ago. I regularly lecture my company on terminology and methods of constructing gabions and other revetments during winter drill. I own a very similar to period Keuful and Esser Transit with solid wooden legs and a Gunter's chain. I have also made a field level for checking the slopes of the parapets under construction. I would be delighted to assist in tracing the profile and checking the progress of this work.
                Are we talking about a redan or a star fort and how many batteries?
                The dimensions are clearly laid out in readily available works on the subject and only require orientation to the ground once the work is shown as to its direction and composition.
                As to the amount of work that can be done the manuals suggest that 25 men can construct 50' of parallel in a minimum of 5 hours and a maximum of 13 hours depending on the soil. As I have not seen the soil type but assume it to be alluvial I would tend toward the minimum time, that is unless clay is encountered. The City engineering department should be able to furnish a soil profile so that accurate estimates can be made of work to be accomplished, phases of work, amount of revetment required determined by the angle of repose of the soil and depth of ground water.
                I should be available at that time for at least a week and with the aid of a couple of willing hands trace the profile and be able to assist in instruction of the soldiers doing the work.
                Keep in touch as this project progresses.
                Highly interested,

Erik Simundson
                Erik Simundson

Comment

Sounds like a great event. You can count me in. I should be able to drag a group of guys from Middle TN up that way.
                  Heath Potter

South Union Guards
                  Star and Crescent Mess
                  A.E.K.D.B.

Bummers
                  Franklin Preservation March
                  Backwater 1865

Comment

I would love to build a fort. There is a handful of us from right across the way in Southern Illinois who would do all four days count me in.
                    Issac Leggans

Never say Never

Comment

Shot in the dark:

My pards and I (those stuck out here in Colorado) are in the planning process of beingn our own earthworks. What I am seeking from members of the A.C personal photos, either directly or via web sites (not talking period photos, I can find then via the L.O.C) of works they have built or done events in, either L.H or EFUBU. We don't have 1000 men or an armies were with all do construct our. I am seeking ideas from non-period photos or works, that I can match up to period photos of redoubts, bbrest works and trenches.

I have looked at the photos from the Lazy Jacks Mess and some from Pamplin Park and those from the LOC. Just to give you some idea of what I am seeking, If I remember right, there might be rebuilt trenches in Vicksburg etc........
                      Aka
                      Wm Green :D
                      Illegitimi non carborundum
                      (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                      Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Sir,
                        I would be available in August. I could bring some proper tools and if needed, four oxen and a wagon. I designed Martin's Station and managed the building of it and have built homesteads (both log and sod), cabins, and worked on a couple of other log forts. Please keep me informed.
                        Gery BArker
                        Wagoner

Comment

Well, I met with the manager of an agricultural place here in New Madrid. Why? Because that business sits on the land that is the closest to where Ft. Thompson was located. He is open to the idea and will present it at a board of directors meeting next week.

If they are affirmative then one of several scenarios might happen:
                          1. We will be allowed to build something that they may tear down if they need the property to expand operations.
                          2. We will be allowed to build something and if it is still there in the future, we can use it or build on to it.
                          3. We will be allowed to build something but the conditions imposed may make it not feasible.

I will let folks know what happens. This area is probably the only place where land would be available and we would probably end up working on a "portion" of the fort with no chance of an entire structure ever being duplicated. Any other potential property in the area is governed by the levee district who can be very difficult to work with on anything. But, I'll try if this falls through.

The property is not in the most pristine place. While it is on part of the Mississippi that part is the Port of New Madrid which is a slackwater offshoot protected by a large island about where Ft. Thompson was originally. So, there is a large agricultural business on the north side with elevators etc. and a group of petroleum type tanks on the south side with this green area in between the two, so there would be a lot modern intrusions in the way. I would hope that would not dampen interest/enthusiasm of potential attendees.

This little idea of mine might end up being unfeasible but we'll see.
                          Michael Comer

Comment

I look forward to the opportunity to do a trace, intrusions or not. I shall watch this post for developments.

Erik Simundson
                            4th Mich. Co. C.
                            Erik Simundson

Comment

Re: I've got land to build the fort

I've received permission from the ag company that owns a spot of open ground along the river to build what we can of a fort for our event. So, here's what I'm thinking.

The location is about as close as we will get to the oringal spot that Ft. Thopmson was on since that was taken away by the Mississippi in the late 1890's.

I'm still thinking of a 4 day event (mid-day Wed. to mid-day Sunday) to allow for people to participate as much as they can.

There are a lot of modern intrusions around the property but this is probably the only place we're going to get to dig up. As I said, it's original ground between where Ft. Thompson and Pope's siege lines were located.

All the company asks is that I have sufficient event insurance to cover their liability and that we understand that if they ever need to expand they get to tear down whatever we have built. They are willing to let stand whatever we construct to be added on to in later years if that is something we would desire - sort of an ongoing work in progress.

I am looking at October 2010 for this event - possibly the 3rd week/weekend. That is open for discussion though but I would like to nail it down asap. October will give us better chance at good weather without having the mosquitoe be so bad.

Ft. Thompson was built by Missouri State Guard which gives a lot of leeway for uniforms - or lack thereof - and equipment.

Planning this thing should be an adventure:)

Let me know what you all think.
                              Michael Comer

Comment

Build a fort you say, in MO you say, with period tools you say, in four days you say, ok I will bring the backhoe or a regular one and lets build a fort I say.

Building Forts since 1861, MSG.
                                Thomas J. Alleman
                                "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Working...
                                X