Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Fight For Crampton's Gap", Blanchardville, Wisconsin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "The Fight For Crampton's Gap", Blanchardville, Wisconsin.

Holler was a Reb last year.. pretty good one too! Think the ole' fella was used to Yank rations, as the Johnnie stuff didn't sit with his stomach too much sat am. He was a trooper though and after removing the rations from his stomach returned to the line and contunied the fight!

Dan is the plan for 1 or 2 CS companies? considering that the companies were pretty limited in numbers for this time of the campaign.
    [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
    [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

I was on pain medication and just took a caffeine pill. Throwing up made me feel much better. :wink_smil

And yes I am excited to be a reb again. I talked with Brandon Jolly last night and am working on some new gear.
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for looking for deconflicting options.

I was talking with someone about this event last night. We will see what we can pull together from Michigan and get out there as Federals. Head our way in June and we will head yours in July :p
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Skip, the plan is to have two small companies, about 10-12 per company. There WILL be a cap on Confederates again this year. The need once again this year will be for the Federals to fill out nicely, as Franklins Corp had an approximate 6-1 numerical advantage at Crampton's Gap.
          Dan Chmelar
          Semper Fi
          -ONV
          -WIG
          -CIR!

Comment

I'm interested in attending as a Federal, even if it is portraying the God-forsaken Army of the Potomac.
            Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
            My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

James,

I too will be with you on the federal side.
              Nathan Hellwig
              "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Holler,

Terry already drafted Brian and I into the federal company for this one. We're going to have one hell of a time attacking up that hill. I'm looking forward to it!
                Dan Wambaugh
                Wambaugh, White, & Company
                www.wwandcompany.com
                517-303-3609
                Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Units to portray have been decided upon. As previously stated, the Confederates will have two 12 man companies, Company A under Jason Reinholz and Company C under Brad Bodoh. The Confederate cavalry will be portraying the 2nd Virginia cavalry led by myself.

The Federals will be portraying two hopefully 20-25 man companies of the 4th New Jersey, one commanded by Terry Sorchy and the second commander has yet to be determined. Harrision "Holler" Holloway will be the Lt. for Sorchy's company. The Federal cavalry will be portraying the 6th U.S Cavalry.

Stephanie Reinholz will be serving as our civilian coordinator.

I hope to have registration open before Christmas. Remember, Confederates WILL be capped at 12 for each company. First come first serve!!

Thanks
                  Dan
                  Last edited by IowaYank; 11-20-2009, 06:27 PM.
                  Dan Chmelar
                  Semper Fi
                  -ONV
                  -WIG
                  -CIR!

Comment

One correction. We have now decided to have one large Federal company. We are going to shoot for a 50-60 man Federal company. It will be nice to see a large early war company with its full compliment of officers and NCO's.

Dan
                    Dan Chmelar
                    Semper Fi
                    -ONV
                    -WIG
                    -CIR!

Comment

Bump - keep this one in mind, boys. Dan has arranged a great place for
                      us to march, fight and camp (as those who attended last year can attest to.)
                      It will be fun.
                      Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                      James C. Schumann
                      Mess #3
                      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Thanks Jim, I will do my best to provide another quality immersion experience for all participants, military and civilian alike. Interest has been expressed by multiple parties from outside of the "Old Northwest" and those are readily accepted!! While I don't have original battleground to put you on, I can provide a site nearly 100% void of any type of modern intrusion.

Dan
                        Dan Chmelar
                        Semper Fi
                        -ONV
                        -WIG
                        -CIR!

Comment

Some 4th New Jersey information: This is from the Antietam Campaign Website

Crampton's Gap
                          Key Units
                          Author and historian Timothy Reese, a noted authority on the Battle of Crampton's Gap, has consented to have AotW present here the principal content of his reference website, formerly hosted on Earthlink, now withdrawn from service. This page from that site features 3 of the key units at the Battle.

See also his main Crampton's Gap page.

Col. Alfred T.A. Torbert
                          (National Archives)

First New Jersey Brigade
                          1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry
                          Premier among Union combat organizations at Crampton’s Gap stands the First New Jersey Brigade commanded by Col. Alfred T.A. Torbert. The Jersey Brigade held left center of the Union line. The assault on Col. Thomas Munford’s primary Confederate position was intended as a simultaneous attack all along the line of battle. Instead Torbert’s brigade charged forward first, quickly dispersing Virginia infantry holding a thin line of defense in Mountain Church Road. Here the Jerseymen struck an empty void on the mountainside and kept going uphill until they reached the gap road, 1st and 3rd regiments in front, 2nd and 4th regiments close behind.

Reaching the road, Col. Henry Brown of the 3rd New Jersey sighted the flank of Gen. Howell Cobb’s newly arrived support regiments just getting into place below him in the woods to his lower right. Brown wheeled his line on the road, coming down directly behind the Cobb Legion Infantry. Meanwhile the balance of Torbert’s regiments inclined to their right, enveloping the Legion front and flank. Surrounded on three sides, the Legion line was nearly doubled back upon itself as it fought for survival. Within twenty minutes the Legion suffered 72 percent casualties, most accounted for as prisoners of war. Two stands of colors were captured.

Somewhat disarrayed, the 1st and 3rd sorted out their conquest while elements of the 2nd and 4th continued up the gap road where they assisted in reduction of Cobb’s last stand in the gap. Soldiers of the 4th New Jersey were largely responsible for flanking the final Confederate position at twilight. Crampton’s Gap had been won largely through the efforts of Torbert’s unstoppable juggernaut.
                          Presentation Flag of the 1st New Jersey
                          (NJ State Museum)

Afterward Torbert was so pleased with the performance of the 4th Regiment that he petitioned the State of New Jersey to present new colors to the unit to replace those lost in action at Gaines’ Mill in June of that year where the regiment had been surrounded and forced to surrender. Turn about had become fair play. This was a unique distinction because these new colors bore commemorative scrolls heralding gallantry at Crampton’s Gap.

Early the following year Torbert also procured similar colors for his other three regiments, all in tribute to their performance that day. Though of like design, each regiment’s new state flag bore a different central motif. That of the 4th New Jersey bore a full-color depiction of their charge up South Mountain. Hard field service and age have now made this painting wholly indiscernible. The brigade’s subsequent field service unfolded beneath the memorable words "Crampton’s Pass", benchmark for battles to come.

Lt. Col. Jefferson M. Lamar
                          (Courtesy Mrs. W. Elliott Dunwody, Jr.)

Cobb's Georgia Legion/Troup Light Artillery
                          Contrary to popular misconception, the Cobb Georgia Legion was not raised by Gen. Howell Cobb, rather by his brother, Col. Thomas R.R. Cobb, later killed in action at Fredericksburg. A "legion" embodied elements of infantry, cavalry, and artillery. This system not lending itself to army organization, elements were distributed according to type, the Legion infantry battalion and Troup Light Artillery being assigned to Howell Cobb’s brigade of McLaws’ Division.

The great tragedy of Crampton’s Gap is that Cobb’s brigade was in the act of taking position above and behind Col. Thomas Munford’s line of battle just as it gave way. Holding the extreme right, the Cobb Legion Infantry was quickly surrounded and nearly annihilated by the New Jersey Brigade. Within twenty minutes the Legion suffered 72 percent casualties, many taken as prisoners of war.

In this horrible predicament the Legion likely would have followed Munford’s men in panicked retreat up the mountain. But its lieutenant colonel, Jefferson M. Lamar, held them to their impossible work until he had been twice shot, once mortally. By holding on to the last possible moment Lamar bought time for Howell Cobb to assemble a last-ditch stand in the gap, further forestalling Union penetration into Pleasant Valley where it would compromise Gen. Robert E. Lee’s tenuous hold on South Mountain and with it the Confederate expedition into Maryland.

Cobb Legion flag
                          (GA State Museum)

At twilight a section (two guns) of the Troup Artillery hastily unlimbered in the gap crossroads and held back the Federal tide until it was too dark to pursue. Firing canister into the very faces our their adversary, Legion gunners incredibly held off massed assault largely on its own with remarkably few casualties. Then when all was obviously lost, the guns quickly limbered up and retired down the Harpers Ferry road to safety from whence they had come.

The Legion lost two colors through capture, most of its men being later exchanged for further field duty. Legion gunners were in the habit of naming their guns after wives and sweethearts. The 6-pounder "Sallie Craig" made good its escape, but the 12-pounder "Jennie" became disabled at the west foot of the mountain and had to be abandoned, claimed as a Union prize of war. It was hauled to the summit in triumph past the dead and wounded who had served her so well.
                          Nathan Hellwig

Comment

Holler,

If all goes well I look forward to portraying the 4th New Jersey with my ONV comrades. It just might be my only immersion experice for 2010 :(. Family & work are calling me away from LBL and other fine events for 2010.

Thanks Dan again for your work and I look forward to an even a better event that last year!

Tom
                            Tom Klas
                            Hard Head Mess
                            Citizens Guard

Comment

Hello all,
                              I just wanted to clarify that "The Fight for Crampton's Gap" is an invitation only event. Our physical equipment guidelines will not be "difficult" to meet. We are putting a strong emphasis on first person and attitude for this event!! Gear can be loaned, a good attitude cannot!

Those interested in an invite should contact myself at dan.chmelar(AT)wartburg.edu

Our website is in the making and will be out, along with registration soon.

Thanks
                              Dan Chmelar
                              Dan Chmelar
                              Semper Fi
                              -ONV
                              -WIG
                              -CIR!

Comment

Gentlemen

Just to clarify some things on the Confederate Infantry Side of this event. It will be limited to two companies of the 12th Virginia, A and C.

Company A Jason Reinholz
                                Company C Brad Bodoh

A Company will only except Enfields, no exceptions. Those weapons were purchased before the war and carried through 63. Company C has will except other calibers so please check the Regs.

Each Company will be limited to the first 12 people who register. So first in keeps their spots. Once you register you will be sent via snail mail an informational packet with first person information and regimental history of the 12th. So please register as soon as possible for this unique first person event.

Jason Reinholz

Comment

Working...
                                X