Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Fight For Crampton's Gap", Blanchardville, Wisconsin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "The Fight For Crampton's Gap", Blanchardville, Wisconsin.

Hello All,
    I sent out this morning an email to all that I have recieved registrations from for The Fight For Crampton's Gap. There is room in all companies for men still, US and CS; Cavalry or Infantry!

If you have sent in a registration and have not recieved my email this morning please get ahold of me either through here or dan.chmelar(AT)wartburg.edu

Thanks
    Dan Chmelar
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Comment

I echo Tom Klas - been away far too long due to real life hurdles, but this looks like a great event, if location, leadership, comrades, history and event charteristics mean anything ;)

Working on a Jersey accent...
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug im still planning on wearing blue for this one.. looking forward to it.

skip
        [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
        [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Gentlemen

I am posting this message to remind people that 2 companies (A and C) of the 12th Virginia will be recreated at the Crampton's Gap event on July 17th and 18th of this year. It is a chance to recreate 2 full sized confederate companies from the Antietam Campaign. Each company will have the same command structure that it had at the Battle of Crampton's Gap. (At Crampton's Gap, Company A was actually lead by an Ensign) Each company is limited to 12 men and the slots are filling up fast.

This event will focus on the hardships these men were facing as well as the conditions that the real soliders on the Antietam campaign were dealing with. If you know me you know that First Person is mandatory not just prefered. The actions will be recreated using the actual time they occured at the battle of Cramptons Gap. The 12th Virginia was one of the more upper class infantry units from Virginia. The men from the 2 companies all lived within a mile of each other before the war. The website for the event is

You may already be registered for the event. But, if you are not I would like to encourage you to register for either Company A or C of the 12th Virginia Infantry. There are slight differences for the guidelines between the two companies so please read before registering. If you are missing a few items to meet the guidelines, please let me know and we have tons of goods that can be lent out. If you have any questions please let me know. I will never promise a good time at a quality event, but I do promise that you will learn something. See you all real soon.

Jason Reinholz

Comment

Gents,
            We have more then enough room in Company B 4th New Jersey for the Cramptons Gap event. We are trying to reach a 5o man company for the event. The platoon leaders will be 1st platoon will be commanded by Jeremy Bevard. 2nd platoon will be commanded by Nathan Hellwig aka Harrison Holloway.
            These men are excellent leaders and I can guarantee you this will not be an ordinary event. There will be many surprises in store. We are going to faithfully follow historical settings and scenarios so theyre will be no "shoot em ups". The land is pristine and far removed from most all modern intrusions. When you are theyre you will be a soldier in the 4th New Jersey. From friday night till Sunday afternoon. 24/7 immersion shedule and attitude.
            Rations will be issued to all troops and eaten on the march or rest. Pickett duty and advances and rear guards will be the norm.
            If you have not gone to the website the address is, www.oldnorthwestvols.org/cramptons_gap
            We would love you along to recreate the gallant men of New Jersey during the 62 campaign.
            Please join U.S.
            I do have two extra frock coats and two forage caps to lend out if anyone needs them as well as accoutrements, blankets and trousers.
            You will not be disappointed nor will you forget the experience.
            As Always I Remain,
            Your Most Humble Servant
            Terry Sorchy
            4th New Jersey

Comment

To all those who attended Backwaters and marched out on Sunday ~ the land chosen for Crampton's Gap is similiar, but there are some stretches of level ground
              as well. Once out in the field, there are no modern intrusions. Cold will not be an issue.
              Doug, hope to see you there.
              Your most obedient servant and comrade,
              James C. Schumann
              Mess #3
              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Hopefully the ground will be in better shape also. That was the real problem to me at Backwaters. The mud made every hill climbed seem like two hills.
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

We had a lot of rain last year, but there was not nearly as much mud as at LBL. The soil drains really well in SW Wisconsin and is not the clay morass that the LBL trail became on Sunday. I had a great time last year (even with the rain) and have already registered for the 4th New Jersey. I've never done a unit from New England before so this will be a neat experience. Last year Dan put on one heck of an event--I'm sure this year will be no different.
                  Last edited by Scott Gutzke; 03-24-2010, 08:49 PM.
                  J. Thomas Atkinson

portrayed by Scott Gutzke
                  [URL="http://www.sipleymess.org/"]Ol' Sipley Mess[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.oldnorthwestvols.org/"]ONV[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.risingsun115.com/"]Rising Sun Lodge #115, AF&AM of IL[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.waukeshalodge.org/"]Waukesha Lodge #37, F&AM of WI[/URL]
                  [URL="http://armisteadbinghamlodge1862.blogspot.com/"]PM, Armistead-Bingham Lodge of Civil War Research #1862, F&AM of WI[/URL]

Comment

Bad news Scott - you still haven't done a unit from New England! The boys from Vermont, NH, Maine, Mass, RI and the Nutmeg State would blanche if NJ were included in their number. Jersey boys might not like it either :-)
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Terry and Dan,

I have finally thawed out, dried out, reattached my leg muscles and satisfied the 'inner man' with home cooked meals after Backwaters and ready to hit the fields again. Dan was telling me on the ride out to the Union Camp on Friday evening that you folks needed a bugler for Crampton's Gap.

I am willing to bring out the brass horn and throw in with you Jerseymen for the event. I see a number of comrades from Backwaters have already registered--so I know the quality of soldiering will be top shelf. Registration will be in the post today. See you in July!

Bill Skillman
                      Bugler, Co. 'C' 63rd Indiana Vols.-Backwaters
                      Bugler, 33rd Michigan Vols.-Disaffected/Waiting to see the elephant-Fort Wayne

Kin:
                      Pvt. David Skillman Co. G., 4th NJVI
                      Pvt.-Capt. Harrison A. Skillman, Co.s DBI, 4th NJVI
                      Pvt. Franklin Skillman, Co. I, 4th NJVI

Comment

Great to have your talents on board Bill. There might not be boot sucking mud there because of a more sandy soil but there is a substantial river that I crossed at last years event 4 times. So getting wet may be a forgone conclusion. It is cool though fording a river with your traps over your head with just you shirt on and then drying what articles that got wet over the fire as the sunsets.
                        Hope many make it out to this for it is a great event and Mr Chmelar and company really go the extra mile to make it so.
                        Cheers
                        Terry Sorchy

Comment

Terry,
                          I have to agree that going through the ford was a great experience. The only thing better than fording the river once, is doing it twice or three times in the case of some of the Federals.
                          Jason David

Peter Pelican
                          36th Illinois Co. "B"
                          Prodigal Sons Mess
                          Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Well, I'll be there no matter what the weather or ground conditions. Got to come up North to pay homage to all you boys that come South so often.
                            Michael Comer
                            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Doug, you're completly right. I'm an idiot.
                              J. Thomas Atkinson

portrayed by Scott Gutzke
                              [URL="http://www.sipleymess.org/"]Ol' Sipley Mess[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.oldnorthwestvols.org/"]ONV[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.risingsun115.com/"]Rising Sun Lodge #115, AF&AM of IL[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.waukeshalodge.org/"]Waukesha Lodge #37, F&AM of WI[/URL]
                              [URL="http://armisteadbinghamlodge1862.blogspot.com/"]PM, Armistead-Bingham Lodge of Civil War Research #1862, F&AM of WI[/URL]

Comment

Gents,

For those of you frothing at the mouth regarding next weekend. I thought I'd tantalize your taste-buds with this little clip of "secret" footage taken last year at Dan's, "Return from Bentonville" event. Don't mind the TN title as that was just Dan's idea of keep'in everything under wraps. The cameraman was so good at concealment as the digital was surgically inserted into his left canine. No one ever suspected......Luckily, he was a complete "slack-jawed yokel" and was able to keep his mouth wide open for such fabulous footage.

Can't wait till Friday Dan, got the giant cooler and 10 camp chairs already packed. Right next to my new pavilion tent I bought last year at Pennsic. Party's at my tent! You still bringing the Lay's sour cream and chive chips as I've got the Busch Light in abundance. Gotta watch that 54" waistline, right?

See ya soon,
                                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]Brian Y. Mikels[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][B]"Das Paradies der Erde liegt auf den Rucken der Pferde."[/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]"The Duck River Line-Winter 1863"[/B][/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]1, February 2009[/I][/FONT]
                                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]Pvt. 2nd Tenn U.S. (Mounted Rifles)[/I][/FONT]
                                [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE=2][/SIZE]"The Fight for Crampton's Gap"[/FONT][/B] [I][FONT="Book Antiqua"]16-18, July 2010[/FONT][/I]
                                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]Pvt. Devaney Good, 2nd Vir Cav[/I][/FONT]
                                [B][FONT=Book Antiqua]"The 2015 Lincoln Funeral Coalition"[/FONT][/B] [I][FONT=Book Antiqua]1-3, May 2015[/FONT][/I]
                                [FONT=Book Antiqua][I]Brig. Gen. James A. Ekin, Honor Guard[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X