X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 150th Shiloh Federal LH Program - April 2012

Originally posted by Choatecav View Post
    It truly has been their policy not to try to compete with large reenactments when the scheduling of the two clash. There is no ulterior motive here.
    Nobody questions that the Shiloh staff is very kind. However, the idea of not having a Living History to avoid conflicting with a nearby mainstream event is ridiculous. The mainstream event will actually bring increased numbers of visitors to the NPS site. This makes it even more imperitive to have a living history program so as to offer demonstrations to the public on the 150th. The mainstream reenactment has no impact upon their staffing or resources at the park. Many of the reenactors who offered to do the program for the 150th living history have no intention of attending the mainstream event anyways, so there is no conflict for us.

Jim Butler
    Jim Butler

Comment

Jim,

I can understand and respect your comments about the draw of one enhancing the other. We will be there next April 10 -11 and I will chat with our Captain, Ronnie Fullwood, who is very close to Woody about the benfits that you have mentioned. If anyone could convince him, it would be Ronnie. If that attempt is successful, then I will post it on the Forum.

Hope that helps.

thanks,
      Mark

btw: Any reading this that are interested in riding with us next April (2010), or if infantry, doing an encampment, please send a p.m.
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

I haven't been to a Shiloh event since our camp fire floated away in a monsoon the one year. Wonders of Nature, baby!!
        [SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Garamond"]Mike Tommarello[/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/SIZE]
        [I]"Iron City Mess"[/I]
        9th Pennsylvania Reserves
        Co. A[/FONT]

Comment

USNLP would prefer working with Jim and the SRR at a living history - sign us up if it can be revived.
          If not, we will consider the mainstream event - getting the Navy message out is our first priority.
          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
          William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

Originally posted by Union Navy View Post
            USNLP would prefer working with Jim and the SRR at a living history - sign us up if it can be revived.
            If not, we will consider the mainstream event - getting the Navy message out is our first priority.
            Historians dont often credit the Navy regarding Shiloh unless they talk breifly about the Tyler and Lexington of course. I hope it can be revived. I would love to see that aspect of the Battle taught and relived correctly. Here is a great read that shares a little more about the Navy's impact in saving the Union forces at Shiloh.

At the mention of Shiloh, most tend to think of two particularly bloody and crucial days in April 1862. The complete story, however, encompasses much more history than that of the battle itself. While several accounts have taken a comprehensive approach to Shiloh, significant gaps still remain in the collective understanding of the battle and battlefield. In The Untold Story of Shiloh, Timothy B. Smith fills in those gaps, looking beyond two days of battle and offering unique insight into the history of unexplored periods and topics concerning the Battle of Shiloh and the Shiloh National Military Park. This collection of essays, some previously unpublished, tackles a diverse range of subjects, including Shiloh's historiography, the myths about the battle that were created, and the mindsets that were established after the battle. The book reveals neglected military aspects of the battle, such as the naval contribution, the climax of the Shiloh campaign at Corinth, and the soldiers' views of the battle. The essays also focus on the Shiloh National Military Park's establishment and continuation with particular emphasis on those who played key roles in its creation. Taken together, the essays tell the overall story of Shiloh in greater detail than ever before. General readers and historians alike will discover that The Untold Story of Shiloh is an important contribution to their understanding of this crucial episode in the Civil War. Timothy B. Smith is on staff at the Shiloh National Military Park. He is author of Champion Hill: Decisive Battle for Vicksburg and This Great Battlefield of Shiloh: History, Memory, and the Establishment of a Civil War National Military Park.
            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I don't believe that all hope is lost at Shiloh for an authentic event for the 150th anniversary. I say let's contact them and see what can happen? I sent out a letter. I will share the response when it comes.

[SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Pete,
                I have not commented on this since last December because when we were there for the Living History at the Hornet's Nest in April, I found out what a mess has been dumped on them (the Park) regarding the 150th. It seems there are two "fueding" factions in the mainstreamer realm that are putting together "Shiloh 150" in April of 2012. Believe it or not, we were told that one faction has Shiloh 150 planned for ground that held a fairly large event back about 4 years ago, just to the south of the Park. The other group has gained permission to have Shiloh 150 on the same ground that "Muddy Shiloh" was held on back in 1997. So, at this moment, there are two separate events.........two separate power struggles...........and two separate egos within 5 miles of one another on the same weekend!! Talk about insanity. While the park is not endorsing or support either necessarily, they are understandibly concerned. It is a sickening situation to be sure.

You might as well go ahead with your request as this mess may actually benefit the park by givng them an out in the midst of the rest of this circus.

thanks,
                Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

I approached the park weeks ago asking about the date for a 150th and one of the rangers actually phoned me to explain pretty much what was said in the reply Jim posted. It was not what I wanted to hear, but I understand why feel they cannot manage. The anniversary "shoot-'em-ups" are in the same area at the same time, and they expect to be deluged with visitors even without any living history; having even more visitors attracted by our demonstrations would just be too much.

I've gone to Shiloh every year since 2002 and never had a bad experience--nor have I ever felt a lack of support, professionalism and sincere appreciation on the part of the rangers I've worked with, from the superintendent on down. I know that this quality level may not extend to every NPS site (I have a specific one in mind where it most certainly does not,) but Shiloh is top of my list for the very best. I respect the rangers there more for making this tough decision than if they had tried to take on a 150th event and failed.

Regards,
                  Chuck Veit
                  Lieutenant, U.S. Naval Landing Party

Comment

Originally posted by PetePaolillo View Post
                    I don't believe that all hope is lost at Shiloh for an authentic event for the 150th anniversary. I say let's contact them and see what can happen? I sent out a letter. I will share the response when it comes.

http://www.nps.gov/AKR/sendmail.htm?...l/contacts.htm
                    I forgot to post the reply from Park Ranger Davis to my letter to Shiloh. This was the response I got at the end of July

Dear Mr. Paolillo:

I know this response is late in time, however, I have held the request as we attempt to confirm the park's activities for the 150th Civil War commemoration. I still am unable to offer a full statement of activities of events for 2012.
                    We will be offering indepth hiking tours of different themed programs relating to the Battle of Shiloh. These programs will last at least 2 hours in length and provide visitors with an opportunity to spend time with a guide. We also are attempting to begin showing a new interpretive film orientating visitors to the Battle of Shiloh. We may also have some Civil War authors speak at the park, but this is not confirmed at this time.
                    The park will probably not offer a living history event during that weekend, as there are two separate reenactments already being planned on that same weekend with 10 miles of the park.
                    The best advice I can offer at this point in time, is to periodically check the park's website, as all of the activities will be listed on that media.
                    The park's website is www.nps.gov/shil, and click on Special Events, and this will allow you to view a calendar of events.
                    We do hope you are able to visit the park during 2012, and remember those turbulent years of American history from 1861-1865.

Sincerely,

Joe Davis
                    Park Ranger

I then asked about an alternate weekend as a possibility and I receievd this response from Ranger Davis a couple of days later.

Mr. Paolillo:

We have discussed the possiblity of an alternative weekend, but the reenactors who support our event during our anniversary are either sponsoring one of the reenactments, or are already signed up to participate in one of the reenactments. The large reenactments are becoming fewer in number, and a majority of the units, who provide undying support for the park every year and whom we appreciate very much for their dedication to the park, were interested in participating. We understand that this will be a unique experience for the reenactors. The last time we had a notable anniversary, the 125th anniversary of the Civil War, vehciles were backed up 12 miles in attempting to reach the reenactment. The small staff we have available for that weekend will be used in assisting the immense numbers of visitors to the area.
                    Please continue to check the park's website, as changes could occur. We will still be offering the indepth hiking tours on the anniversary dates to describe the battle action of the two days, and attempt to instill an idea of the experience of the soldier at Shiloh.
                    We do hope you have a great experience during the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, and if you have any questions which we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Joe Davis
                    Park Ranger

Unfortnately, we have our answer. Apparently he believes that the same reenactors that were at previous Shiloh Living Histories put on by Mr. Butler are of the same group I guess??? Root Beer anyone?:(
                    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                    X