• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Comer
    replied
    Re: Campaigner Battalion for Wison's Creek

Originally posted by Mcguire View Post
    I signed up my pard Randy McLemore over a week ago I'm surprised he's not on your list.
    Dave,

He's on there. I don't know him and he signed up under something other than Burbridge's so I didn't know he was with us.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Comer
    replied

Nic,

I think Piston and Hatcher mention several of the cloth types that were handed out to the troops to make their own clothes. It's not at hand but is in my office but I'll try to track it down and post the info here.

Leave a comment:

• cgoser
    replied

Mike,
    We have a company of over 30 coming to the event. There are more than a few of us that would like to participate in the march. We'd still love to support you if we can. I'll talk to you offline.
    Clay Goser

Leave a comment:

• Iceman
    replied

To follow up on my previous post; I don't have the source in front of me, but in the two years that I spent working for the NPS at Pea Ridge, I came across a Union soldier's comment about how the people in the Ozarks / SW MO / NW Ark. wore only two colors; brown from walnut and blue from indigo. Others make mention of Price and the MSG as wearing butternut, like all MO farmers wore at that time (I'm paraphrasing). I make mention of this, because of the Rolla newspaper add making mention of indigo jean being 75 cents per yard. However, brown - or butternut - doesn't have to come from walnut dye, either. Cotton grows in more colors than white, and natural brown cotton (also called nankeen cotton) was a common, poor, cheap cotton worn by slaves and poor working class. There are still sources for natural brown cotton, if you look hard enough. I know that there's a natural spinner and weaver at Bayou Vermilionville, in Lafayette, LA, and she looms yards of nankeen cotton (but it's not cheap).

Leave a comment:

• Hairy Nation Boys
    replied

I know it is the weekend before but we are in nerd of some men to attend Athens as State Guard. Actual battlefield and Mr.Comer is the State Guard commander.

Leave a comment:

• Iceman
    replied

It's known that the Missouri State Guard were issued bolts of cloth and sewing notions to make their own clothing in the field by Price, rather than being issued clothing. But, to my knowledge we don't know what type of cloth Price issued. I think they might have been issued patterns, too, but I could be wrong; it might have been only bolts of cloth and sewing notions. You can imagine the quality of clothing these men were making for themselves in the field, probably never having made any of their own clothing before, unless they were a tailor by trade before the war.

Out of curiosity, I spent the day reading through what historical Missouri newspapers I could find on-line, to see what sort of cloth was being advertised as being in-stock and for sale, to get an idea of what sort of material Price and his officers would have had access to when issuing their men bolts of cloth in the field. I was only able to find two newspapers on-line that cover the months before Wilson's Creek; Liberty Tribune and the Rolla Express. Liberty is a eastern suburb of Kansas City, and Rolla is more central / east-central Missouri. In these two newspapers, here is what I found in regards to the type of cloth either on-hand or able to be manufactured in Missouri at the start of the war (for fun, I added some info about weapons, too):

SPRING GOODS! - James M. Jones, Merchant Tailor, North Side Square, Liberty, Has just received his usual fine assortment of Spring& Summer Goods, consisting of Fine Black and Blue Clothes, Black Doe Skin and Fancy French Cassimeres, Black and France Grenadine silk, plush, and velvet & Marseilles vestings, All kinds of linens. I also have a complete assortment of Furnishing Goods, consisting of all kinds of Shirts, Collars, Silk and Woolen undershirts, cotton and wool drawers, stocks, Ties, Cravats, Gloves, Morning Gowns, Suspenders, etc., etc.

Also, Tailors’ Trimmings. His Goods are equal to any ever offered in the market and will be sold at fair living prices. All work warrented to give satisfaction.

Work from other houses will be cut and made with the same care as that sold by us.

Liberty (MO) Tribune Newspaper, July 26, 1861

Woolen Goods, suitable to the wants of the country, which we offer for sale at wholesale or retail for CASH, or in Exchange for Wool, for which we will allow the highest market price for clean wool, and sell our goods as LOW as any Factory in the State.
    Persons wishing their own wool manufactured (of 40 pounds or more,) can have it doen on the following conditions, viz: -
    6-4 Fulled Lindsay, 65 cts, and 1 ¾ lbs clean wool per yard
    4-4 Plaid Lindsay, 30 cts, and 5 – 8 lbs clean wool per yard
    4-4 White Flannels 30 cts, and ¾ lbs clean wool per yard
    7-8 Jeans, 40 cents, and 3 – 4 lbs clean wool per yard
    7-8 Cassimere, (all wool,) 80 cents, and 1 lb wool per yard
    8-4 No 1 Blankets, $5 per pair, and 14 lbs clean wool
    8-4 No. 2 Blankets, $4 per pair, and 8 lbs clean wool

NEW GOODS! – James Feruson, Respectfully informs his customers, and purchasers, generally that he is now receiving direct from Philadelphia, a variety of SPRING & SUMMER GOODS, that he will sell to suit the hard times. In his stock may be found a variety of DRESS GOODS, Consisting in part of – PLAIN & BROCADED POPLINS, Plain & Brocade Berages, ORGANDY & JACONET LAWNS, Prints, Hosiery, Gloves, Ribbons, Flowers, Ruches, Shakers, Hooped Skirts, Brown, Bleached, and Dress Cottons, Cottonades, Osnaburgs, Plain and Twilled linen, and most articles needed for Summer Wear.

SPRING AND SUMMER CLOTHING! – M. Goldman, Respectfully informs the citizens of Liberty and surrounding country, that he has just received his new and well selected stock of SPRING & SUMMER GOODS, consisting of fine Cloth, Business, Summer and Working Coats, Vests, Pants, Shirts, Drawers, Cravats, Stocks, Gloves, Suspenders, Hats, Caps, Trunks, etc., etc.

CITY GUNSMITH SHOP, LIBERTY, MO.
    Rifles and shot guns; He also has on hand a fine stock of COLT’S, SHARP’S AND ALLEN’S PISTOLS, BOWIE-KNIVES, all sizes, Shot Bags, Powder and Pistol Flasks, Powder, Shot, Lead, Caps, and everything in the gunsmith line.

CLOTHING. We have a mammoth stock of Clothing of every grade and quality. Outfitting Goods, Gum Blankets and Coats, etc.

Liberty (MO) Tribune, July 12, 1861

Bowie Knives, Shot, Caps & Lead. M. Dickson has just received a large stock of Bowie Knives, Shot, Caps, Lead, &c., to which he invites attention.

Liberty (MO) Tribune, July 12, 1861

To the People of Missouri – Missourians! Strike for your Firesides and your Homes!
    Head Qrs. 1st Mil. District, Mo. State Guards, Bloomfield, MO.

. . . . . we have plenty of ammunition . . . We have forty thousand Belgian muskets coming; but bring your guns and muskets with you, if you have them; if not, come without them.

- M. Jeff. Thompson, Brigadier General Commanding

Liberty (MO) Tribune, August 16, 1861

Rolla Markets.
    . . . . Jeans – Common 50 cts, per yard; Indigo blue 75 cts.

Rolla Express, June 3, 1861

Leave a comment:

• Mcguire
    replied

I signed up my pard Randy McLemore over a week ago I'm surprised he's not on your list.

Leave a comment:

• MO-Pard
    replied

That's going to be a NICE company!!!!! 64 guys so far not counting last minutes and mail-ins.......

We may be too big for some of Burbridge's companies, lol.

This is going to be nice to have a good adjunct company with some stellar names on there, in the company/encampment.... Anyone still on the fence? Got a few more hours....

Leave a comment:

• Michael Comer
    replied

Here is what I have as of now. Not all are on the registered list but I have added them if they are listed above:

Comer, Michael
    Aufmuth, Frank
    Aufmuth, Sam
    Aufmuth, Xavier
    Hill, Dan
    Kasmar, Andrew
    Kupsch, Mike
    Helvey, Christopher
    Lipe, Aaron
    McAllister, Patrick
    Snyder, Jeremy
    Weik, Thom
    Yearby, Tom
    Jenkins, Johnnie
    Baker, Fred
    Carr, Brett
    Graves, Seth
    McCarty, Brian
    Mobley, Cody
    Royers, Ron
    Shelton, Stacie
    Spain, John
    Lauderdale, Jim
    Erickson, Paul
    Leggans, Terry
    Richardson, Greg
    House, Scott
    Rector, Matthew
    Graf, Phil
    Stamos, Christopher
    Parent, David
    Winslow, Dominic
    Ruyle, Tim
    Green, William
    West, Dave
    Spence, Dennie
    Allison, Jason
    Gale, Andrew
    Wicks, Timothy
    Duff, John
    McCollum, Payton
    Boyd, Mike
    Cunning, John
    Moran, Nathan
    Patrick, Andy
    Stevens, Jay
    Bears, David
    Carr, Jeffrey
    Clark, Nic
    Hadley, Dan
    Henderson, Patrick
    Pillers, John
    Pretzl, Kyle
    Laird, Matthew
    Barrett, Dan
    Barrett, Jon
    Herman, Graham
    Rogers, Scott
    Creekmore, Erik
    Barber, Andrew
    Duncam, Ray
    Tarver, Patrick

Read more: http://wilsonscreek.proboards.com/in...#ixzz1SEWLtpsp

Leave a comment:

• ohpkirk
    replied

I got Adam Johnson registered last night so he should show up anytime....and possibly one more Texan will be registering tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Comer
    replied
    Re: Sos!!!

Here's who I show on the registered list as of the last update. I know many of you have contacted me saying you have registered or are in the process of registering. Keep an eye on the list to see if you show up on it. If not, let me know and I'll look into it. Remember, the deadline is tomorrow , so get them in. Mail ins are taking longer to process so if you have sent one in be patient and you should show up on the registered list soon.

Comer, Michael
    Aufmuth, Frank
    Aufmuth, Sam
    Aufmuth, Xavier
    Hill, Dan
    Kasmar, Andrew
    Kupsch, Mike
    Helvey, Christopher
    Lipe, Aaron
    McAllister, Patrick
    Snyder, Jeremy
    Weik, Thom
    Yearby, Tom
    Jenkins, Johnnie
    Baker, Fred
    Carr, Brett
    Graves, Seth
    McCarty, Brian
    Mobley, Cody
    Royers, Ron
    Shelton, Stacie
    Spain, John
    Lauderdale, Jim
    Erickson, Paul
    Leggans, Terry
    Richardson, Greg
    House, Scott
    Rector, Matthew
    Graf, Phil
    Stamos, Christopher
    Parent, David
    Winslow, Dominic
    Ruyle, Tim
    Green, William
    West, Dave
    Spence, Dennie
    Allison, Jason
    Gale, Andrew
    Wicks, Timothy
    Duff, John
    McCollum, Payton
    Boyd, Mike
    Cunning, John
    Moran, Nathan
    Patrick, Andy
    Stevens, Jay

Leave a comment:

• John of the Skulkers Mess
    replied
    Sos!!!

Having bad luck with event web site; cannot call up registration form to print off or pay online.
    Anyone else having the same problem?
    Solution?

Thanks,
    John Pillers

Leave a comment:

• Spinster
    replied

Yay Jay!!!

July 15 is the closing date.

Leave a comment:

• MO-Pard
    replied

Mike- I'm on board and just registered!

Sure we'll see many more here starting to trickle in. Look forward to breaking bread with many...

Leave a comment:

• Spinster
    replied

Oh, and for all the Billy Yank and Johnnie Reb come latelies---please don't call or email the Registrar 24 hours after you late register to find out why you're not on the list yet and when you will be.

There's only one person on the other end of that Registration wire, and they are tearing their hair out right now, because they thought they'd be done by now.

You've got your Paypal receipt, print it out and put it in your wallet. You'll be alright.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X