This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Projected Manassas temperature

While I work indoors without air conditioning, I am not very accustomed to being outdoors in temperatures or humidity as high as predicted for Manassas. I've been to hot, humid, stagnant-air events but nothing quite like this may be. I'm bringing a bottle or spare canteen of concentrated swichel which is vinegar, molasses, some sugar, and ginger, which can be diluted with water for a really thirst-quenching drink. Of course excellent, common sense suggestions have been shared but this is another in-period suggestion that you might try.
    Brian White
    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

The only thing that I would add here is that if you haven't already started, you should be drinking water now. Try to bring a sports bottle with you to work or something similar and down it. If you try to "catch up" at the event, you'll have problems.

And, as others have said, if you're stuck at a desk job or indoors, try to at least go out at lunch or after work and take a brisk walk at least once a day - get your body used to working in the heat.
      Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
        6) EXPECT DISCOMFORT. Being a real soldier in a hot warzone is hard and VERY uncomfortable. I know this from Iraq where temps got up to 120 degrees F routinely and mission didn't stop. You will get but a small potential taste of such conditions (other than bullets) this weekend.
        Good point, Johnny!

Pat Landrum's Vicksburg NPS LH event in 2007 was one of the best events I've ever attended. It was hot. It was humid. The chiggers were mean. The commissary served rat. Yeah, I was uncomfortable... to the extreme. But I was not sick. I did not become a heat casualty. We all need to know the difference between being sick from the heat and when you're just sick of being uncomfortable.

- I encourage all in the former category to let his pards and NCOs know ASAP.
        - However, I would encourage all in the latter category to stick it out. Its late July in Virginia... you knew it would be hot. You will be with your pards in the first large event of the 150's. Embrace the suck!

VIVA LA SUCK!!!
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

If you didn't start any of these suggestions last week, it's too late.
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
          Past President Potomac Legion
          Long time member Columbia Rifles
          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Another period correct "energy drink" is to mix some apple cider vinegar and honey with water. It is actually very tasty.
            ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
              Good point, Johnny!

Pat Landrum's Vicksburg NPS LH event in 2007 was one of the best events I've ever attended. It was hot. It was humid. The chiggers were mean. The commissary served rat. Yeah, I was uncomfortable... to the extreme. But I was not sick. I did not become a heat casualty. We all need to know the difference between being sick from the heat and when you're just sick of being uncomfortable.

- I encourage all in the former category to let his pards and NCOs know ASAP.
              - However, I would encourage all in the latter category to stick it out. Its late July in Virginia... you knew it would be hot. You will be with your pards in the first large event of the 150's. Embrace the suck!

VIVA LA SUCK!!!
              It must be time to break this out:

Bob Muehleisen
              Furious Five
              Cin, O.

Comment

I'm not attending the event, and haven't followed this thread, but coming from a part of the country that has been in triple digits since late March I have some experience with events of this nature. The three biggest tips/hints/whathaveyou are:

Drink water even if you aren't thirsty, don't down a canteen...small sips every now and then.

Eat small meals of light food. I would recommend cooking your rations the first night and eating throughout the day.

If you feel yourself getting overheated and have access to ice (no matter how you paint it, this is still a circus. There will be someone around with a cooler of ice) take a cube of ice and put it on the jugular vein on your neck. This will cool your body off very quickly. I've done it in the past while building fences in 106+ weather with no ill effects.

Though if you are this worried about the heat, it is a pretty good indication that you haven't been acclimating yourself prior to the event.
                Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

A very goiod means to quickly hydrate the body is watermelon. Not only the hydration effect but, it serves as a detox from things like caffeine and alcohol. Packed with vitamin C and licopene. Can be kept at room temperature. Also period correct and in seasson right now.

George Taggart
                  George Taggart

Comment

So I take it, we should swipe a watermelon or two from the officers mess?
                    Aka
                    Wm Green :D
                    Illegitimi non carborundum
                    (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                    Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Whatever it takes Huck! For some it will make the diffence at the end of the day.

George Taggart
                      George Taggart

Comment

Not going myself, but I'll just add a suggestion:

Actually calculate the amount of electrolytes you're getting. Look on the bottle of vinegar or molasses or the jar of pickles, if that's your go-to source, and see how many milligrams per serving it has of actual sodium or potassium (the top two, but read some medical discussions for marathoners and ultra runners to find out more about minor ones). Estimate how many servings you'll be consuming and multiply. Look up the recommended amount you need for exercise in the heat. It'll be in the thousands of miligrams, well over 3K a day for both. I planned my diet for In the Van to include over 5K of each a day.

The difference in the amount depending on the exact product may be huge.

I mail-ordered Wholesome Sweeteners molasses because it has 740 mg potassium per tablespoon, while Grandma's brand at the local store has less than a quarter of that. If that would be your main source of potassium, for example, the difference between the guy next to you getting 4000 mg a day and you getting 1000 mg a day is going to make all the difference in whether you're keeping ahead of the electrolytes you're sweating out. The bottle of store-bought apple cider vinegar sitting in my cupboard here has 0, count 'em, 0 electrolytes. Maybe y'all have a source of vinegar that supplies some, but that doesn't mean the guy who grabs a bottle off the shelf will get the same amount.

Gambling that the placebo effect will work isn't worth it.

Hank Trent
                        hanktrent@gmail.com
                        Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
                        X