Shiloh AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shiloh AAR

I just returned home and Shiloh was amazing! I am so proud to have been a part of the 15th Iowa. My hat's off to Mr. Woodburn because he deserves all the praise for what he accomplished in organizing this and bringing it all together. Being a member of Co. K was great and it was an honor to be able to fall in with all of the men. My only complaint for Shiloh is that it is really far, but not far enough to stop me, but hey, that's my fault. :)
    This event will be one I always remember!
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

A gentleman on flickr with the username "mikerhicks" has many photos of the Saturday morning staging and etc. They are very, very good.

Photos from the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh. These are photos of reenactors portraying the 15 Iowa arriving as reinforcements at the Battle of Shiloh. They boarded a Riverboat at Corinth and unloaded adjacent to the park. This group of 400 then marched 6 miles across the park over to the reenactment site. They joined in the battle in the afternoon.

(I pulled 7 ticks off myself Sunday evening that were not on me Saturday night, and found another on me this PM, all deer ticks. Appointment tomorrow AM for Lyme disease testing.)

Alexander Vasquez
      Co. C, 15 IA

Comment

OK...so here we go. First: I would like to thank the 46th Illinois for standing picket duty for us in the woods Saturday night so that we all could rest and recuperate from our arduous march, and for Justin having that dog bowl for the Division Staff to drink from.

To Matt and the WIG Staff and helpers: Excellent job and thanks for the best event of my 20 years in the hobby. The shear volume of pre-event work was astronomical and you all did a superb job.

To the Sgt. Major and Kirby....the 9 hours at registration went by quickly and it was a pleasure to meet you both and work with you for the day. To the rest of you: Sorry I yelled so much, but I had my orders.

The march was simply wonderful and come hell or high water I planned to finish it, and I did. I really want to thank all the copperheads in the woods for not crossing my path. As we marched out the old park road past Beauregard's Headquarters, the large blue mass at route step passing through the woods was purely impressive.

Camps, once I got there, were great, and I was never so happy to walk into a sibley and throw my gear down as I was that night when I came into camp. It was a pure pleasure to serve with all the guys of the 15th Iowa and most importantly those of Co. H.

The best way to sum up this event is to quote a trooper from the CS Cav as they road behind our formation on Sunday: "Damn!...them boys look good"
        Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
        Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
        Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

WOW! What a wonderful and unique experience. Having been in the hobby for 17 years, you start to wonder if there is much left to experience. Well, the 15th Iowa regiment at Shiloh did add another one to the reenacting bucket list.

Pros:
          - The boat ride was a Civil Wargasm for me. Marching to the dark landing, and thru the dim moonlight seeing the paddlwheeler come about with bosuns whistle blowing and the naval capt barking orders was awesome!
          - Just going out to the front of the boat and enjoying the quiet river and shoreline that was free of modern intrusions. This allowed me to meditate a moment on what the real men felt going down that river towards Pittsburg Landing. Most of the men green and uncertain what lie ahead.
          - Landing to the tune 'The Girl I left Behind' as the original men. The landing being on the steep backside of the NMP was also free of modern intrusion and our minimalist camp was great and quiet except for new troops landing and seeking rest.
          - Highlights of the march was passing the cemetary and having our company do an 'eyes left' in honor of the real men buried there. Seeing the looks on the spectators face as such a large battalion marched by in step was inspiring. Seeing the long battalion in the woods and being unable to see the head of the column, even on a hill.
          - Going into battle without being able to drill ahead of time made me feel uneasy. But, the men were rusty and the NCOs had some work on their hands. But, this added to the experience to me of having green troops. But, not to worry, by Saturday we working well and nearly like a well oiled machine.
          - The abandon camp was great and seeing the men enjoying the plunder items, mail, brick ovens, sutlery items (pickled bologna is very good by the way) was great. Company E even found an the 46th Illinois abandon kettle of food, still warm on the fire.
          - Seeing the site of all the Sibleys. What a beautiful site seeing them at night, dimly glowing by candle light inside with lightning cracking and lighting the sky in the distance.
          - How well everyone worked together. I know this hobby has personalities and politics, but that was all put aside as all the men of the battalion quickly took an air of esprit de corps and pride. From men who claimed this as their first reenactment to men who had many years of experience to lend all came together in this effort.
          - To see all the men uniform, was so awesome to see!
          - Marching onto the battlefield on Sunday singing 'Battle Cry of Freedom' and marching past the entire Federal army as they cheered. Going past the artillery and encouraging them in turn to cover us.
          - The Confederate 'Ruggles Battery' opening up on Saturday was awesome!
          - We dodged the bullet by not getting rain Sat evening. I know it was hot and many of us were not yet aclimated to the summer type weather yet, but having much experience with Shiloh weather...I assure you, we were very lucky.
          - Seeing people who needed a tow out of the mud and not being charged for it (it may have happened, but I did not see it).
          - Finally, the men of Company E. I was so proud of you and your efforts. Thanks for the tireless efforts of my Liet and NCOs! You men are outstanding!

CONS (not many):
          - Water shortages. Although period without water were brief, it did lead to some delays in our activities as we would not risk mens health to take the field, etc without full canteens. My feeling is that no one anticipated the higher temps and thus higher water demands.
          - Battles were ho-hum, with exception to 'Ruggles Battery' opening up. I am assuming that friday was the 'Hornets Nest', but hard to tell as the Rebs never took hits, despite us losing 40% of our numbers. Finally they pushed us off the field. Would have been nice if the Rebs had done a few assaults and taken hits and then overwhlem us as in the actual fight (I know, I know...I am dreaming). Sundays battle was better.
          - Confederates coming thru our camp while we were gone and looting and robbing from our camp. Yes, some Rebs looted thru peoples PERSONAL posessions in tents and dumped them out. They stole a closed wooden box, busted it open and stole the contents.
          - The battalion pace. There were times that our company was at the double quick to keep up with the pace. After men started dropping out, we reached a rest point just in time. I know with 400+ men, controlling the pace can be difficult, but it is critical as well.

This was an awesome event due the insight and efforts of Matt Woodburn. I know many people took part in this effort and my deepest thanks go out to all who helped in the planning and execution. From working a registration table to setting up tents...I THANK YOU!!! The adjunct and battalion was awesome and I am very glad that I attended!

Jim Butler
          15th Iowa - Company E / Shiloh
          SCAR www.scarreenactors.com
          Jim Butler

Comment

As a member of the 16th Iowa, it was a pleasure to assist in accomodating you (15th Iowa) on Friday night/ Sat. morning at the landing. Also, being in the 16th afforded me the opportunity to view that marvelous column from the very rear during Saturday's march. I'll not forget it anytime soon. Thanks to all for making a wonderful memory.

Ryan D. W. Kiesel

Comment

Oh, I forgot...one last one:

CON:
              Seeing so many people I know from the hobby and having so little time to visit with them. Sorry, I was just stretched thin and exhausted by the end of each day. It is a good thing when there are TOO MANY friends you didn't have enough time or energy to chat with.

Jim Butler
              Jim Butler

Comment

All I can say is I have been doing this hobby for a long time and it has been more than a decade since the last time I felt this way about an event, before, during, and after. I have nothing to complain about; not a single thing.
                V/R
                [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I had an absolutely amazing time. There were so many highlights. My heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all of thopse involved in getting this event to come to fruition. Mr. Woodburn and his Brethren spared no expense nor detail and really pulled off an epic event. I lis below my fond memories, not necessarily in order.
                  - The Paddle wheel boat and naval crew? WOW!!!! I was fortunate enough to end up on the top deck aft leaning against the rail watching the flag blow and the paddle wheels churn in the water. We had an awesome chipped beef dinner with soft bread and the men were heartedly singing in nervous anticipation. I really thought at that point, I had died and gone to Civil War living Historian Heaven.
                  - Debarking at the landing and watching the Paddle Wheel leave us behind was a bit surreal. We were on our way to the war and there was no heading back to Iowa until we did our jobs.
                  -camping at the landing right outside the cemetery walls was very humbling. I slept good but I could not help to recall all the sacrafice and bloodshed that went on where we were.
                  - Getting issued ammo, I guess I expected a little faster pace with some nervous energy but it needed to be done right and it was. Very organized and structured. It was good to see that many worked very hard at making correct rounds and packs but unfortunately it was evident that some folks need some more guidance in this area as well. This is an are that is very important. I actually received some rounds with 1fg in them. Yes my musket was fouled and dirtier than I have ever seen it only after shooting maybe 5 or so of these. Maybe in the future each company could have their own box. It might help resolve some of thes problems. Companies can have specific people designated to make rounds and also educate their registrants on how to make proper rounds and packs. It would help with uniformity and safety in my opinion. Not a complaint just a suggestion.
                  - The March, What an honor to march through the park with such a large amount of like minded men. I could not have felt anymore proud walking past those monuments. The cheers that went out for the Iowa boys was tear jerking at times. I could have marched around that park for days with all of you men.
                  - The battle? Well they are what they are. I wish I could have had the Confederates view of us that is for sure. I thought a couple of the wheels and other movements went pretty good on Sunday...Moving that large of a battallion is amazing. The " By the right of companies to the front" to get through the batteries was pretty damn cool if I may say :)
                  - The ox team and mule wagons, always add to the realism of what we are trying to do. They are so vital for almots any scenario we do in this period. My hat is off to all of these folks who get these beasts of burden do their thing is a treat. Gerry Barker and the way he talks to his ox team is a sight to see and a treat to listen to. Love seeing them at events.
                  -The camp with Sibleys and Brick ovens and abandoned sutler store- That was just fantastic. That is what Civil War camping for tha period should look like. Absolutely perfect. Thanks to all of the men who put such tireless effort into all of the rations. The barrels of pickled bologna, lemonade, pickles and pickle juice were just great. Whiskey ration?? LOVED IT!!! The raiding of the store was lots of fun too. Thanks for that.
                  In closing some of the other things I am most appreciative of was the camraderie of the hobby. We all saw a vision and we all came together to make that happen. That is really special. We really need to perpetuate that habit.
                  -The Flags- I hope there are some good pictures of those pieces of art flowing in the wind. I really want to see them again. Brandon Jolly should be commended for his preservation effort with teh Tshirts. Great job Brandon. Love my shirt. :)
                  ....well I rambled on enough. As I think of more I will add to the discussion. I hope all have arrived home safe or are safely on their way. I look forward to seeing you all once again. Three Cheers for Iowa!!!!!! HIP HIP HURRAH! HURRAH HURRAH!!!!!
                  [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                  ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

It was FANTASTIC!
                    Bob Bowser

Comment

Originally posted by Strawfoot View Post
                      I'm probably not qualified to offer a bona fide AAR, as physical problems led me to bail on the battalion early Sunday morning. This was a first for me at an authentic event, but does little to lessen the regret I have for missing the second day of a fantastic adventure, or letting down my mates in Company C.

The most lasting impression I had, and really the most important as well, is one of Matt Woodburn enjoying himself and having fun. With all of the effort and energy he had put into this, I was hoping he woudln't get overwhelmed in the little details once the weekend started. Observing him standing before C Company, addressing the regiment before we shoved off Saturday morning, one could tell that was not the case. He had some difficulties, and I'm not sure if he was choking up, or just trying to choose his words to 400 souls wisely.

Until now, the grandest Federal unit I'd ever been a part of was the AoP at Perryville in 2002. But the Federal regiment at Shiloh last weekend easily dwarfed it in size, demeanor, presentation, and organization. No matter where you turned your head Saturday morning, there was a Federal company going about its business. Cooking breakfast, marching off to get rounds, standing at roll call, it was an awesome feeling to be part of a unit that large. What's more, the regimental staff handled all the logistics very smoothly, from ration issue (albiet Saturday PM), to ammunition, to moving a unit that size amongst several different locations, to the various "surprises" Matt had promised. Well played sir.

High points:

-It was a little macabre to enter the Saturday camp, at the point of exhaustion no less, and see the scattered debris of another regiment left behind. Gear, food, personal letters, all from an Illinois regiment who had fled the field.

-Regimental music as we marched through the Shiloh battlefield. The few spectators who were priviledged to see us march by to a steady drumbeat and fifes got the show of a lifetime. The band also serenaded us that night before lights out.

-Leadership and professionalism. With some missing exceptions, the regiment probably contained the most serious and talented living historians in the hobby. That, in and of itself, was worth the trip as you felt very challenged to be at the top of your game.

-Floating the Tennessee at night and landing at the original Pittsburg Landing, then sleeping next to the rock wall lining the cliff.

-The rations were top notch, as was the whiskey ration.

The Bad:

-Very, very little other than perhaps leaving the road on the march and taking that single file road through the woods to get into the battle. I personally think that may have taken a little out of some of the guys, including myself. It sure couldn't have been fun for the guys toting the colors.

-The three sheet rock crackers they issued to us for chow on Saturday before the march and battle.

The Funny:

-Standing with about 50 other guys at the water distribution point before the Saturday battle, shaking the containers to get the last drops into half empty canteens, while a 1st Sgt from another battalion sauntered up and asked if the organizors could deliver water to his unit on the line...

Lastly, I owe my comrades in Company C a heartfelt apology. Sometimes arrogance can be your own worst enemy, as it was with me when I did not enter this event physically prepared. Hitting the battle line Saturday I was done, my body had shut down. I couldn't hold my rifle at the ready, I couldn't hold my feet steady on the firing line, I was a wreck, and rightfully got called out for doing so by the Comapny C Orderly Sgt. It's ironic that after 12 years of doing this I'm still learning lessons the hard way. But it was grand while it lasted.

Thanks Matt.
                      Don't feel bad, Mike. It happened to me too--first time ever. I bonked right before the battle, cooled down, put my stuff back on and raced back to join the regiment. I bowed out again when I began to suffer from a weird kind of confusion (I was sure I had left various parts of my pack back in the woods when it was still on my back, and was putting my gear on backwards) I sat out about 3/4 of the battle, and got in at the end. I had had 3 hours of sleep Thursday night, 3 hours Friday night, very little to eat, and was out of water. After about an hour's rest and some water I was fine. However, I learned a few things about myself and certain limitations I have.

Captain Thomason was also down with the heat nearby so I waited with him and the nurses for the EMT's. He was ultimately evac'ed out.

I saw you go by a couple of times, sorry I didn't get a chance to say hey, but it was great to see all you boys again.
                      Bob Muehleisen
                      Furious Five
                      Cin, O.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyshirt View Post
                        All I can say is I have been doing this hobby for a long time and it has been more than a decade since the last time I felt this way about an event, before, during, and after. I have nothing to complain about; not a single thing.
                        Brandon, I looked for you at the event to pick up my shirt but was unable to find you. Is there anyway I can get my Shiloh shirt sent to me?
                        Bob Muehleisen
                        Furious Five
                        Cin, O.

Comment

My thanks to Colonel Woodburn and the WIG for all the work that they put in to this event, as well as the work of Brandon Jolly and the color guard. My thanks also to the men of Company C, who took up every task asked of them and pushed through every physical and mental obstacle this weekend and coalesced as a company. Words can not do justice to the feelings of pride I have for the men of Company C, nor can they describe the emotions I felt this weekend, being part of an event such as this.

The only thing I have to compare it to is Raymond I, and that would be comparing apples and oranges.
                          Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                          My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

I suppose I'll throw in my few comments here even though my "event" was technically over by Saturday morning at 7:00 a.m. I would have to say that this event was one of the most memorable things I have ever participated in after nearly 25 years in this hobby. From our perspective on the steamer Minnehaha, the atmosphere was electrifying. Troops crammed in like sardines, getting stuck on sandbars, having to send out a landing party, the eerie silence and darkness of the river at night save for the dull hum of the engines and splash of the paddles, the uniqueness of traveling up the river to conduct amphibious landings at night...all made for a truly "once in a lifetime" experience. The effect of dropping troops off on an embankment, watching them form up into a column with the band playing, while we slipped off into the darkness was an incredible sight and thrill to behold. My only regret is that we didn't get to see the whole regiment assembled at one time as they marched off to join in the fray.

Apologies to all of my friends who were there that I didn't get to see/speak with, but my whole night was rather pre-occupied, and quite frankly, in the darkness, I could barely recognize the few folks I did see. My actual job Friday night, and indeed my impression requirements from a historical standpoint, pretty much precluded the luxury of socializing with any of the "sojers" so I wasn't intentionally snubbing anyone (okay, maybe a few of you :) ). By the time we dropped off the last of you, and got back to Savannah, none of us had had any sleep to speak of in the previous 24 hours and I know I remained in a delirium until around 1 p.m. on Saturday.

I would like to publicly thank Matt for putting this all together as well as inviting/allowing we sailors to participate in what was an epic experience in reenacting history. When I started reenacting in the latter days of the 125th series, I was always envious of the "grand event" stories that I missed out on. Never figured anything I could experience would top those. Boy, was I wrong. I would also like to thank my crew of Bob Dispenza and Russ Gilliom for their tireless help throughout the afternoon prep work before the landings and through the night. I couldn't have handled anything without you guys and your professionalism. I would also like to thank Pete Emerick who helped with the prep work on the Minnehaha, as well as Shane Seley for his help on the first run Friday night. Finally, I would like to thank Jimmy Kennedy of the Pickwick Belle and Mister Sam, the pilot of the Pickwick Belle for letting us use their VERY expensive toy to play with for the weekend. They truly bent over backwards to make our collective experience one which we will never forget. In fact, I would even encourage everyone to send an email to them to thank them for their efforts. If you all could have seen the amount of mud and mayhem that became visible on the boat when the sun came up the next morning, you would understand why I would suggest it.

This truly was one for the record books...

Jon Isaacson, BM - USN
                            Steamer Minnehaha
                            150th Anniversary Shiloh

Comment

First off, to Mr. Woodburn and everyone who worked so hard for so long, Many Thanks!
                              There were so many period moments I would have to take off my shoes to count them all!

The brightest and best: the walk off the boat and up the rocky slope into Friday night
                              camp; gave me chills. Camping along the trail; new men tramping up the trail all night,
                              with a quick, determined stride, barely seen in the light of the flickering candles set up
                              to mark their way. Had some of the same thoughts for the morrow the men of the 15th
                              Iowa must have felt.

Looking up and down the column or to the left and right of the line of battle - I served
                              with the Good Men of Co C, so we were near the center, and it was a sight I will NEVER
                              forget!

Sat. night in camp: tapping the whiskey barrel, old friends and new, good food, the
                              constant lightning that went right round us - I have not experienced merciful weather
                              at an event for quite some time ~ just more fine planning by Matt Woodburn et al!

Our banners resplendent, our officers riding ahead, wagons with us - it just does not get
                              much better! Physically tough, but I was mostly ready for that, mostly. And I haven't
                              even found any ticks yet.

For those planning next year's WIG event, this one will be hard to beat! Thanks again.
                              Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                              James C. Schumann
                              Mess #3
                              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by Strawfoot View Post
                                -Standing with about 50 other guys at the water distribution point before the Saturday battle, shaking the containers to get the last drops into half empty canteens, while a 1st Sgt from another battalion sauntered up and asked if the organizors could deliver water to his unit on the line...
                                I was that 1st Sgt. I was there because one of the wagons where you were located was loaded with ammuniton to resupply us during the battle, and it was my job to get it to the right place at the right time. We were also to be supplied with water, same as you were, from those same wagons, and while I was there dealing with making sure the ammo resupply went as planned, and the fact that our men were nearly out of water, I checked to see if any was available for our battalion to send men with our canteens back to the wagons to refill. It was not to get them to come to us; it was to see if we could come to them.

Perception can be an interesting thing. Fact can be even more interesting.
                                Glad you had a good time. It was good to see Buell's Army of the Ohio finally make it onto the field to support us.
                                Bernard Biederman
                                30th OVI
                                Co. B
                                Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                                Outpost III

Comment

Working...
                                X