Shiloh AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shiloh AAR

Thank you Mr. Woodburn and staff who did the great cat wrangle of 2012! I can't imagine what it took to pull this off. Marching out on Saturday morning and seeing the graves of those we were representing made me very humble, and very greatfull for their sacrafice. My thanks also to the surgeons who had their hands full with heat exhaustion cases. You fellows were great, and I thank you. And when a few of the lads went down and the surgeons were busy elsewhere, their pards or fellows with medical training stopped to lend a hand. This made me very proud. No one was left on their own, or left behind.

Thank you to my pards in Co. K and the new friends I made this weekend.

Thank you again....
    Your humble servant....
    Sean Collicott
    [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
    [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Wow! It's amazing to read everyone's take on the weekend. For me, my experience is closest to Jim Butler's - Company K was next to his.

Since so many have said so many thing, I'll not repeat the pros and cons already given except one:

A BIG ROUND OF THANKS TO MATT WOODBURN AND THE REST WHO SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS GETTING THIS EXPERIENCE READY FOR US! WOW!

More pros from my standpoint:
      - Getting to know and work with our brother re-enactors from Europe. You fellows were great and I'm glad I got to work with you.
      - Getting a chance for us all to work in a much larger body - and learning all the ups and downs that that entails. We have learned something we'll be considering and using for many years to come.
      - The huge amount of support and togetherness I see on this thread! Folks, we pick things to death and often hurt each other's feelings in the process. I'm so thrilled to see this amount of solidarity in the Authentic ranks that I almost don't want to put any cons down to support that.
      - The support we received from our brother campaigners not able to serve with us and the rest of the army as we marched out on Sunday.
      - The as yet untold amount of money we raised for the Iowa flags this weekend, between the gift to Matt Woodburn and the shirt sales.

The cons - there are only two I want to hit. The list is small, and I love that, but I have two more:

- Two bugles when the colonel gave an order. It was great to have a wing bugler when we were working individually but that needed to cease the instant Matt Woodburn preceded an order with "Battalion." We learned a lot about moving and working a large formation together and that would have helped us even more. I'm thrilled for musicians who want to bring their part of the story with us but this one instance should serve as a lesson learned. One colonel, one bugle.
      - For me and many in my Company K, as well as in Company H at least, the elephant in the room is ammunition quality. We got an arsenal bundle with pyrodex in it. We also got MANY with no caps, and several with insufficient amounts of caps to even cover the 10 rounds. One of our fellows even was issued ammunition with 6 winged caps. Shame on those of you who knew you'd get away with it. Matt was very clear on this and there are many many sources, at your local level and on-line. If you still don't know how to properly roll rounds, there are many ways to find out. Through this, thanks again to Matt for being VERY clear on what was expected.

Even with the cons, and there are many fewer than the vast number of pros, I had a great time!!!! Thanks to all for coming and helping make this weekend what it was.

Best to all,

Will
      Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
      Saginaw City Light Infantry
      Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
      Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
      http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
      www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Gentlemen,
        A huge BRAVO ZULU, from Colonel Woodburn to the Privates in the ranks. This was the single greatest adventure of my lifetime. I have but one con, the complete lack of water, and that is to be blamed on the event and not the adjunct.
        To see the Paddle wheeler coming down the river, to the hear the Bosun's pipe, watching the rounds be issued. To stand and watch the Regiment form for the march, to stand at the rear of the column and barely see the Mounted Adjunct at the front. The field music, the color guard. Meeting some of you for the first time and seeing some I haven’t in a few years. The seemingly never ending paperwork, trying to write in my account book as we were quickly moving through the sea of wounded.
        I was so tired Saturday afternoon, and I also fell victim to the heat but fortunately it was on the road, 600 yards from Saturdays camp. Never have I had such a stressful time at an event.
        I never got to sample the stores from Saturdays treasure trove and survived on the ration I was issued on Friday evening. My thanks to the Battalion Staff for ensuring I had at least some breakfast Sunday morning.
        To witness the Dress Parade across from the ranks was amazing. To see the 15th Iowa's flag in the breeze. The stolid stance when the interruptions passed what seemed unnoticed.
        To all of you who offered simulated injuries or the unfortunate who presented real emergencies, I wish to thank you. I am glad no one was hurt to seriously. I truly learned to make due with very limited supplies, personal exhaustion, and to deal with the chaos of so many suffering it was saddening to know I couldn’t help all.
        Thank you all again,
        Last edited by Chris Fisher; 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM.
        Chris Fisher
        Hospital Steward
        Tinct Opii Mess

Comment

Originally posted by USNTar View Post
          I suppose I'll throw in my few comments here even though my "event" was technically over by Saturday morning at 7:00 a.m. I would have to say that this event was one of the most memorable things I have ever participated in after nearly 25 years in this hobby. From our perspective on the steamer Minnehaha, the atmosphere was electrifying. Troops crammed in like sardines, getting stuck on sandbars, having to send out a landing party, the eerie silence and darkness of the river at night save for the dull hum of the engines and splash of the paddles, the uniqueness of traveling up the river to conduct amphibious landings at night...all made for a truly "once in a lifetime" experience. The effect of dropping troops off on an embankment, watching them form up into a column with the band playing, while we slipped off into the darkness was an incredible sight and thrill to behold. My only regret is that we didn't get to see the whole regiment assembled at one time as they marched off to join in the fray.

Apologies to all of my friends who were there that I didn't get to see/speak with, but my whole night was rather pre-occupied, and quite frankly, in the darkness, I could barely recognize the few folks I did see. My actual job Friday night, and indeed my impression requirements from a historical standpoint, pretty much precluded the luxury of socializing with any of the "sojers" so I wasn't intentionally snubbing anyone (okay, maybe a few of you :) ). By the time we dropped off the last of you, and got back to Savannah, none of us had had any sleep to speak of in the previous 24 hours and I know I remained in a delirium until around 1 p.m. on Saturday.

I would like to publicly thank Matt for putting this all together as well as inviting/allowing we sailors to participate in what was an epic experience in reenacting history. When I started reenacting in the latter days of the 125th series, I was always envious of the "grand event" stories that I missed out on. Never figured anything I could experience would top those. Boy, was I wrong. I would also like to thank my crew of Bob Dispenza and Russ Gilliom for their tireless help throughout the afternoon prep work before the landings and through the night. I couldn't have handled anything without you guys and your professionalism. I would also like to thank Pete Emerick who helped with the prep work on the Minnehaha, as well as Shane Seley for his help on the first run Friday night. Finally, I would like to thank Jimmy Kennedy of the Pickwick Belle and Mister Sam, the pilot of the Pickwick Belle for letting us use their VERY expensive toy to play with for the weekend. They truly bent over backwards to make our collective experience one which we will never forget. In fact, I would even encourage everyone to send an email to them to thank them for their efforts. If you all could have seen the amount of mud and mayhem that became visible on the boat when the sun came up the next morning, you would understand why I would suggest it.

This truly was one for the record books...

Jon Isaacson, BM - USN
          Steamer Minnehaha
          150th Anniversary Shiloh
          ^^This. It was a memorable experience. Once we got past River Heights/Crump's Landing, the shore was dark, just like back then. Jon was always the professional as petty officer (not Chief, guys - didn't have those yet). Russ was the hard working coal heaver turned deck hand. The first load of sojers was somewhat feisty and had to be watched closely. The next two were too tired to cause problems. The mud they all tracked in was amazing - I'm surprised there was any left on shore. The chipped beef was much better than expected. Like any good sailor, I was looking forward to the end of my watch, though.

We knew the 15th would be a top deck group, so we prepared for months, learning knots we never even used (except to hang those cursed Minnehaha banners). No one fell overboard, so from our end this was an astounding success. Though there was one poor sojer who had a technicolor yawn over the bow. Seasickness? On a river?

It was also a pleasure to talk with 15th Iowa folks later, whom we could pick out anytime by their new Hardees with eagle pin. It was like may memorable events - trying at the time, never to be forgotten later.
          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
          William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

Originally posted by Will Eichler View Post
            Wow! It's amazing to read everyone's take on the weekend. For me, my experience is closest to Jim Butler's - Company K was next to his.

Since so many have said so many thing, I'll not repeat the pros and cons already given except one:

A BIG ROUND OF THANKS TO MATT WOODBURN AND THE REST WHO SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS GETTING THIS EXPERIENCE READY FOR US! WOW!

More pros from my standpoint:
            - Getting to know and work with our brother re-enactors from Europe. You fellows were great and I'm glad I got to work with you.
            - Getting a chance for us all to work in a much larger body - and learning all the ups and downs that that entails. We have learned something we'll be considering and using for many years to come.
            - The huge amount of support and togetherness I see on this thread! Folks, we pick things to death and often hurt each other's feelings in the process. I'm so thrilled to see this amount of solidarity in the Authentic ranks that I almost don't want to put any cons down to support that.
            - The support we received from our brother campaigners not able to serve with us and the rest of the army as we marched out on Sunday.
            - The as yet untold amount of money we raised for the Iowa flags this weekend, between the gift to Matt Woodburn and the shirt sales.

The cons - there are only two I want to hit. The list is small, and I love that, but I have two more:

- Two bugles when the colonel gave an order. It was great to have a wing bugler when we were working individually but that needed to cease the instant Matt Woodburn preceded an order with "Battalion." We learned a lot about moving and working a large formation together and that would have helped us even more. I'm thrilled for musicians who want to bring their part of the story with us but this one instance should serve as a lesson learned. One colonel, one bugle.
            - For me and many in my Company K, as well as in Company H at least, the elephant in the room is ammunition quality. We got an arsenal bundle with pyrodex in it. We also got MANY with no caps, and several with insufficient amounts of caps to even cover the 10 rounds. One of our fellows even was issued ammunition with 6 winged caps. Shame on those of you who knew you'd get away with it. Matt was very clear on this and there are many many sources, at your local level and on-line. If you still don't know how to properly roll rounds, there are many ways to find out. Through this, thanks again to Matt for being VERY clear on what was expected.

Even with the cons, and there are many fewer than the vast number of pros, I had a great time!!!! Thanks to all for coming and helping make this weekend what it was.

Best to all,

Will
            Several of us in Company A had pistol caps in our packs, as well as the aforementioned pyrodex.... And several bundles and rounds were rolled using a recent issue of the Miami-Dade funnies section... But seeing as how the battles were just our side show to our big show it isnt THAT big a deal... Perhaps next time, as already mentioned, we handle ammo at a company level. That really is my only complaint for the entire event... If you can even call it a complaint. I'm just now beginning to process just how awesome it all truly was.
            Aron Price
            AG

Comment

From a line of an old TV show...Matt and Staff,"you should love it when a plan comes together"

Comment

We had rounds with F powder, caps with 6 wings and some with NO wings (pistol or hunting caps I presume). Some were bundled like a ball of paper. We worked around all those issues and issued out the Sgts rounds and caps to replace them.

Jim Butler
                Jim Butler

Comment

Some of my rounds were obviously old since the powder was wet (but had since dried-out and solidified) inside them.

Also, a few of the ones Brother Brian hicks pulled out of a hat and gave to me were double-loaded.

Luckily, I didn't do too much shooting as 1SG... ;)
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                  SCAR
                  Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                  Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                  Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                  Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by flattop32355 View Post
                    I was that 1st Sgt. I was there because one of the wagons where you were located was loaded with ammuniton to resupply us during the battle, and it was my job to get it to the right place at the right time. We were also to be supplied with water, same as you were, from those same wagons, and while I was there dealing with making sure the ammo resupply went as planned, and the fact that our men were nearly out of water, I checked to see if any was available for our battalion to send men with our canteens back to the wagons to refill. It was not to get them to come to us; it was to see if we could come to them.

Perception can be an interesting thing. Fact can be even more interesting.
                    Glad you had a good time. It was good to see Buell's Army of the Ohio finally make it onto the field to support us.

Apologies Bernard. The fact I didn't recognize you lends to my level of physical delirium, but it was a humor filled moment (confusion withstanding.) And it's ironic as I saw the wagon you mentioned, and wondered why it was just sitting there and not issuing water. I will say after experiencing the water fiasco of Raymond II in 2001, that this weekend's difficulties paled in comparison. Also not helping was the fact some knucklehead backed their vehicle into the bowser at our Saturday night camp and ripped the filling valve clear off, which in turn allowed countless gallons of precious water to be wasted and the boswer to be rendered useless. Or so I was told.

BTW, though many of our guys were also shorted caps, I'd like to personally thank the lad who supplied my rounds. They were well made, though I also recieved some of those wing-less caps. Our Lieutenant lined us up after the issue and made us surrender every last six-winged cap we had in our posession. Upon which our Orderly Sgt came through immediately with a cap box and re-supplied us with four wing caps. The entire ammunition issue was very nicely played, and entirely necessary.
                    Last edited by Strawfoot; 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM.
                    Mike Phineas
                    Arlington, TX
                    24th Missouri Infantry
                    Independent Volunteer Battalion
                    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Skip Owens, Pat Craddock, Kiev Thomason, Justin Runyon, Brian Hicks, Cameron Stinnett, Art Milbert, Donnie Watson, Jordan Roberts, Chad Gray, Steve Ewing, Todd Bemis, Michael Schaffner, Joshua Mason, Jim Butler, Pete Berezuk, Joe Beedle, Jon Isaacson, Steve Hesson, Brandon Jolly, and Dave Bushmole all had a big role in pre-event planning, work weekends, etc. to see that this event became what it was. One of the earlier posts wanted to know who the team was, so here they are. I owe my thanks to all of them as this never would have happened without their tireless efforts.

So what were some of the things that were done that maybe you noticed or didn’t see? Honestly, it was so big there was no way to see all that was there. Just not enough time.

Our Saturday camp had almost 60 tents and looked great. Jim Butler, Joe Beedle, and Pete Berezuk are to thank as they were in charge of building that area.

Thanks to Skip Owens, Steve Ewing and Ken Giddens for running registration.

Thank Cameron Stinnett and Pat Craddock for our ovens that we used to bake bread in on Saturday. They got the materials to build them and there are accounts of regiments having them in their camps at Shiloh. Who/what company baked the peach pie? Ingenious and nicely done!

There was fighting around the 46th Illinois camp earlier the first day. A Confederate cannon ball was placed in our camp with a rut in the ground where it skipped and threw dirt up before being lodging in the ground further away. Anyone find that?

Sensitive documents with troop strengths, unit identifications, etc. and reports dropped during a rush by the 46th Illinois Infantry to get out of the way of the enemy were in various company streets. They should have been turned into our staff to prevent being found by the enemy, but I got none. Maybe they went to someone else, or were over looked. Anyone find those?

The camp had been lived in so it had to look that way. Todd Bemis, Michael Schaffner, Kiev Thomason, and I saw to that. There was camp trash, and about everything a soldier would have scattered about. Who got the officer sword? The uniform? The 8 shirts which were in bad condition should have been used to clean rifles. I hope you guys took home the tin cups, bayonets, brogans, ginger beer bottles, and everything else usable. It was there for you to have.

The ammunition boxes were used to fire the ovens on Sunday because I wanted you to experience them as trash like they were then, and not a $50 box. It was trash back then and was often treated like we do a cardboard box today.

You got 3 crackers (officers and the 16th Iowa, Co. A got soft bread) to get you through lunch on Saturday (you were supposed to get 4 crackers but some went bad - sorry). I wanted you to experience being hungry as a soldier and come into camp on fumes. So lunch was light on purpose. Once in camp, I knew you could eat pickled bologna, pickles, bread, etc. fast. The quartermaster department already had your company issue items in a pile to move fast. After a sandwich of pickled bologna, sour kraut, mustard and cheese that you could eat fast and get your strength, you then had all the tinned vegetables to make a hearty soup/stew. Whoever made the soup for the staff did a killer job! Delicious!

What did we have for you to eat in the commissary and sutler?
                      3 barrels of pickled bologna
                      1 barrel of whiskey
                      10 gallons of pickles
                      3 gallons of sour kraut
                      2 country hams
                      24 cans of Essence of Coffee
                      22 lbs of coffee
                      5 lbs of salt
                      1800 hard crackers minus 300 that went bad and were pitched
                      125 loaves of bread
                      100 lbs of flour for gravy and baking
                      30 lbs of farina
                      30 lbs of rice
                      2 lbs of sugar
                      96 cans of tomatoes
                      96 cans of green beans
                      30 lbs of onions
                      56 cans of corn
                      12 cans of pears
                      12 cans of mushroom ketchup
                      84 cans of peaches
                      6 sides of bacon
                      Sutler stores:
                      75 glass jars of mustard, tomato ketchup and grape jam
                      6 crocks of apple butter
                      1 box of corks
                      50 packages of smoking tobacco
                      12 twists of tobacco
                      30 plugs of tobacco
                      20 clay smoking pipes with stems
                      1 shirt
                      1 sleeping cap
                      10 assorted period bottles of liquor or ginger beer
                      Box of leather shoe strings
                      Box of 15 cravats
                      10 pencils
                      20 tin cups
                      8 tin match safes
                      2 tin lanterns
                      6 tin bowls
                      2 sets of eating utensils
                      70 sets of thread/needle house wives
                      1 box of ginger snaps
                      One box of 12 packages of pepper
                      24 cans of sweetened condensed milk
                      12 packages of soup and stew seasoning
                      20 boxes of chocolate fruit
                      10 boxes of mints
                      60 candles
                      10 tooth brushes
                      8 wooden containers of tooth powder
                      20 leather knapsack straps
                      2 sets of Hardees School of the Battalion
                      2 Bibles
                      1 The Arts of Beauty
                      1 Handbook for the US Soldier
                      3 Union Song Books
                      2 brass compasses
                      10 pocket knives
                      12 .58 cal tompions
                      40 poke sacks
                      10 mens knit wool gloves
                      20 various eagle buttons
                      6 suspender buckle sets
                      50 china/glass buttons
                      20 ringer shirt buttons
                      15 cakes of lye soap
                      50 Gayetty’s Papers

There was more but I can’t remember it all. There was enough that everyone could come away with something if you were willing to rob a sutler.

Thanks for the donation in my name for preserving the Iowa battle flags. I like that a lot. Wow! You guys are the best and very thoughtful.

The stunning flags that Brandon Jolly recreated MUST be paraded in front of the men, so Sunday before the battle we trooped the colors and made sure they walked the regimental front. Everyone wanted to see them and all eyes were on them. Just beautiful. Great job to all who worked on them.

Surgeon Noah Briggs and Asst. Surgeon Thomas Frederico were really working hard with mole skin and powder on foot blisters and chafing. They really kept a lot of our guys up and going so they could complete the event. Thanks you two, you saved many.

Many thanks to the great field music that kept up the spirits of all while we were disembarked from the paddlewheeler, were on the march, and in camp. You guys are all fabulous, accomplished musicians.

Cameron Stinnett, owner of our wagon, and Lane, aka Father Muzzy, our professional teamster, who transported our cooking kettles, ammunition boxes, etc. for helping transport what a regiment needs are to be commended for great work.

Quartermaster Lt. Art Milbert, Quartermaster Sgt. Justin Runyon, Commissary Sgt. Andy Martin and Swamper Donnie Watson were the ones who kept all of you supplied with food over the weekend. Tell them thanks when you see them next as they worked their butts off to feed all of you.

To Jon Isaacson, Bob Dispenza, and Russ Gilliom who were our Navy, you guys were great in your role. Thanks for herding us and keeping us safe as I know we’re a tough lot to handle. The Navy back then contracted with private boats to transport troops, materials of war, etc. because the Navy wasn’t large enough to move everything. Private ship owners, captains, etc. who would have been in civilian attire like our real boat crew was (we had a captain, fireman to fuel the boilers, and a deck hand) were under contract by the Navy who knew where to pick up and deliver cargo, “us.” You guys got us all transported and we didn’t lose anyone overboard. Perfect job!

Many thanks to Mark Choate, Ronnie Tucker, and Ken Knopp for getting the horses, saddles and tack together for the staff. Ken knows the movie rental guys who set up Glory, Gettysburg, etc. so we could get Grimsleys, proper shabraques, etc. They told me Pat and Skip who used them in the movies but I don't remember the details. I owe a debt of gratitude to Ronnie Tucker who rode with us as an aide and helped us with our horses. All the cav guys were first rate.

I learned that in my role as colonel, I didn’t get to see many of you at all since I was really working so much. Only got a little time Saturday night to socialize. I missed not seeing many of you, and if I wasn’t around, it was due to duties. Let’s have a beer sometime.

I know I have left someone out. Please forgive me. I don’t mean to, my brain is just wiped out from all the work. Everyone who worked on this event and attended to make it come to life has my deepest thanks.

Someone mentioned when I was by Co. C on Saturday morning that I got a little choked up. I did and it was when I was talking to the Color Guard. I was upset that Holler couldn’t make it because of his back. You see, this whole “Iowa regiment idea seed” was planted in my mind about 18 years ago at an event when I saw Holler and our Color Guard guys. They were spot on with their impressions, perfect. Looked like they came out of an original wetplate and that day I aspired to become that good. It’s why we went out on Sunday without knapsacks and just blanket rolls – that’s how I saw them 18 years ago. I know you guys are all tough enough to carry your knapsacks every time we go out, but I wanted to recreate that vision I saw on a regimental scale of the small group of well researched guys who were the most impressive thing I’d ever seen. And I’m happy to say that you guys did it. From my vantage point on Sunday morning standing in front before going out to the battle, every one of you were perfect. Simply perfect. Thank you for providing me that vision Sunday. I consider it an honor to stand beside any of you.

Photos of the event: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikerhi...th/6893159568/
                      Last edited by Matt Woodburn; 04-05-2012, 10:11 AM.
                      Matt Woodburn
                      Retired Big Bug
                      WIG/GHTI
                      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Matt,

Although I could not make it down with you boys you all looked perfect! Last weekend was one of the toughest weekends in my life. Ask my wife and she will tell you that emotionally I was a wreck.

Even though I wasn't there with you all my spirit was! My only hope is that something on this scale will happen again so that I can experience it!

All the best,
                        Holler
                        Nathan Hellwig
                        AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                        "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Matt,

Congratulations on one heck of an event with so much thought and effort....excellent job...all the boys came home thrilled...

Heard you did an AMAZING job!

So what's next big guy? :)
                          S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Matt and all,
                            I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the show you brought to Shiloh. The battalion coming out of the woods on Saturday with drums beating, fifes screaming, flags flying...truly the best thing I have ever seen. An awesome and humbling experience. I would drink from a "dog bowl" with you any time.
                            Andrew Keehan
                            23 of A

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Nation Boys View Post
                              Even though I wasn't there with you all my spirit was!
                              Yes it was... and we knew it!!
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger
                              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Only paper work I found was part of a deck of cards, a tax notice and part of a missed match newspaper.

Now for Huck's input on the event. First to Marty for the car pool, things like that make the price of gas easier to handle on these long drives.
                                15th Iowa camp, Thursday night, was better than I expected, I figured we would be setting up all of the tents up on Friday but did have to, bully for those who did.
                                Registration site for the bus...top shelf with efficiency
                                Boat loading site, thanks for whoever left that larger bond fire, the rations on the boat and the landing just outside of the park and being issued “wonderful hardtack” at the landing. First time I have ever eating all the hardtack, I was issued. While riding on the boat I was thinking to myself what it would have been like to be stuck on a boat for a few days, wondering about the unknown future, wife and kid back home and the “farm”.
                                Up in the morning having coffee…. “tastier “, than the brown water on the boat, must have been warm river water, “just joking”. Receiving mail.
                                Being issued rounds, adds the touch of being in the military, only issue is, myself and I heard of a few others, were shorted in quality in power and in caps. Guess it was those cheap contractors/government inspectors.
                                Marching through the park looking back at the files, thinking that is only ½ of us.
                                Giving everyone a show either because I was trying to stay comfortable and dry off for a few minutes, now the other time when I had to sew up my trousers were the waistband ripped.
                                Proud of myself for being able to make about 90% of the march (until the creek) hauling a total of 45 pounds, (left my overcoat in the camp). However, lack of food, I knew I would about to have a major issue unless I stopped. Cooling off while listening to the sounds of the battle made up for the lack of being with my pards. However, I was able to get back to camp before most of the regiment.
                                Therefore, while back in camp I figured since I was rested a bit more than others were, I would help cook Co C rations. Doing so remind me of the chats, I would have with Heath years ago. In addition, as a cook I could eat the food as it was cooking instead of waiting, soaking fresh bread in the broth it the spot.
                                Waiting the oak keg being open…………which my cup full 90% of it rent into the stew pot.
                                The tornado that is Huck hitting the already picked over sutler tent. I took away a cup, a thing of Getty’s Paper, and two mustards jars, meant for the company, some needle and thread, poke sacks, candy and found in the trash from the 46th a peach can boiler. Wish I were lucky enough to get overcoat straps.
                                Camp bugle calls….I believe more things like that should happen.
                                Seeing the camp full of soldiers.
                                Helping cook breakfast and baking the bread on Sunday.
                                Thankful for Sunday being slightly cooler and “blanket roll’.
                                Dress Parade and being with the highest quality pards in the hobby.
                                To Matt, Skip, Pat, staff, Co C and everyone one of my friends out there, it was an honor and my hats off to you all.
                                Aka
                                Wm Green :D
                                Illegitimi non carborundum
                                (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                                Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Working...
                                X