Shiloh AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shiloh AAR

You put the snapping in perspective; real emotions indeed. Thank you. Embrace the suck. That CW moment was cool!

Originally posted by tsgalloway View Post
    Some thoughts from this Idaho boy:

I am in decent shape and consider myself an athlete, but man was I exhausted from the event. It took me nearly a week to recover. In the moment, the lack of sleep, heat/humidity, lack of food, fatigue all sucked. Men in my company were snapping at each other. It was REAL. But in hindsight, it added to the realism of the event and made it that much better.

The paddle wheeler experience was awesome!

I had a CW moment during Saturday's battle. We were withdrawing through the trees and I heard gunfire all around. It was echoing, there was chaos and I just stopped and had to take it all in. In today's day and age, that's about as good as we are going to get in regards to connecting with those that came before.

Excellent event.

-Tristan Galloway
    15th Iowa Co. I
    Andy Mouradian
    JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

I can't believe it's already been two weeks! There are so many lasting memorable impressions and that is what I wanted from this event. For me the boat ride was awesome, the march was not difficult, the weather was just fine, I was with my closest of friends, had a blast. Could not have asked for more. Company A, you guys were a real treat. I love falling in with fellas that know their stuff. I don't think I've seen Silas since our Mess put on Rich Mountain in 2006, but it was good to see you again and I made some new friends out of Washington as well. Brother's Johnny, Kiev, and Brian were incredible. You kept us on the straight and narrow and Brian you were spot on in replacing our ailing captain. That's what a good lieutenant is suppose to do. Kiev, I certainly hope you have had better days since I walked you off to the stewards. I ain't gonna lie, you had me worried Brother. To all the NCO's and privates of Company A, you guys rocked and made the event great for me.

Matt, your efforts certainly paid off Brother. I enjoyed this to the extreme. Mess No.1 awaits the birthing you mentioned. I'm sure it will be a doozie!
      Ken Cornett
      MESS NO.1
      Founding Member
      OHIO
      Mason Lodge #678, PM
      Need Rules?

Comment

Before we leave this event for the next one, do we have final numbers on the size of the regiment? I'm specifically interested in knowing the final registration number and the morning report totals for Saturday and Sunday. This would include the 16th Iowa, company A. On the field it looked like something of a record for an authentic event, or adjunct, and I think it would be valuable to know how many will muster for this kind of effort. Thanks.
        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Michael,

Here's the numbers...

Guys registered at one time or another was about 525. That includes guys who substituted for other guys, that's why it's high. My records reflected 496 registrations sent in for both 15th and 16th Iowa. The 15th had 380 fielded on the consolidated morning report Saturday. I do not have the total fielded for the 16th, Co. A, but suspect it was about 35. Capt. Joshua Mason can confirm their numbers in the field. That would put our "authentic adjunct" at about 415 fielded out of 496 registered, which is a 16% attrition rate. Manassas was a 22% attrition of registered vs. fielded as a recent comparison. I did not think our attrition would be as high as 16% with the new substitutions and reports from company captains/POAs in the two weeks prior to the event date. Still we had a very respectable showing and I am very proud of the fine job done by everyone. The pics on the internet of the regiment give an extremely uniform image which is what we wanted, and should expect for a Federal regiment only one week out St. Louis. Just look at the black hats and blouses, and on Sunday when we had blanket rolls on. It looks like a believable group that all enlisted together. Nobody stood out individually, but as a regiment, we stood out beautifully. The images of us in the woods that goes on to the end of sight gives alot of us a chill. The comments on Youtube when we come out of the tree line is something like, "holy s**t, there's a mile of 'em." Sums it up well. And really everything that you guys accomplished was stunning when considered. We didn't drill prior as a regiment as we were from all over the country - and a few from across the pond. We functioned very well as a regiment. When we sent two companies forward as skirmishers on Sunday, they functioned under Berezuk without error. Then the regiment passed through the artillery by the right of companies to the front and wheeled back into line as if they'd done it 100 times. The left wheel of the entire regiment on two different occasions by the bugle Sunday was flawless. Every company functioned in the regiment as seasoned professionals. A tribute to the quality of all the well drilled living historians we had with us. And a statement of the fine officers and NCOs who had to have drilled everyone before even coming to Shiloh. Bottom line, we were all part of something bigger than our own companies and groups that we normally fall in with. We were with ALOT other guys and groups who take all of this as seriously as any of us do. We may be from all over the country and from different groups, but we were with the cream of the crop of like minded brothers that weekend. What makes us different than the rest? We all just try harder and strive to be better, and not just a few guys, everyone. I know we'll never be "perfect" - we can always improve on something - and won't hold a candle to the "original boys," - our ancestors were tough as nails - but I'm very proud of everyone of you, and you should be too. Bottom line, you guys did an amazing job, well done.
          Matt Woodburn
          Retired Big Bug
          WIG/GHTI
          Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
          "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

"Nobody stood out individually, but as a regiment, we stood out beautifully."

It's funny, being in Company C during the march we could look fore and aft at the regiment as we hiked up and down slopes and see all 400 guys... I thought the same exact thing about the regiment standing out as one. The side eagles really did it, they were our badge.
            Mike Phineas
            Arlington, TX
            24th Missouri Infantry
            Independent Volunteer Battalion
            www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

• Re: AAR for Shiloh Adjunct

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
              Please see attached, & enjoy...
              For the record, I had read and heard about all the work that was going into the ration issue for months before the event. I had heard and read the excitement about the ration issue for months before the event. Many of my re-enacting brothers were part of the Iowa b'hoys and I am well acquainted with how they do with strenuous activity in hot, humid weather on little sleep and less food. I've sat with them in the EMT crisis tent in just such situations. The other ladies in Purdy knew their re-enacting brothers and re-enacting nephews likewise well.
              Knowing the b'hoys were told to come with "flat haversacks" and rations would be issued, the b'hoys had just spent a cold, wet night on the boat, a five mile march in the warming weather, and a strenuous battle in the hot, humid sun... imagine our "nightmares of Manassas" type thoughts when we heard those rations had "fallen through."
              So we ladies formed a party to go get to the bottom of these rumors and hopefully assure ourselves that our re-enacting brothers were still on their respective feet and not in the EMT crisis tent. We did our best to remain on the outskirts of the camp and go through military camp protocols like finding an officer. Once we had seen that the ration issue had come through as promised and our brothers were still on their feet, we were happy to leave you to your "petticoats" free period moments.

I would like to apologize to the gents who had their period moments ruined by my presence for a short time, and doubly so if some of the food I shared disagreed with you. I would like to thank the officer who took the time to speak with us and make sure we could assure ourselves our re-enacting brothers were well enough.

I am VERY glad the hard work of your ration issue (and camp dressing, logistics planning, and hundreds of little period moment details) came off very well and the b'hoys got to enjoy them. Good work. :-)
              -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Hey all,

Ken Knopp was kind enough to share his pics with all, and this is my favorite:

7063079651_80b94117b7_b.jpg
                Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                James C. Schumann
                Mess #3
                Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
                  Michael,

Here's the numbers...

Guys registered at one time or another was about 525. That includes guys who substituted for other guys, that's why it's high. My records reflected 496 registrations sent in for both 15th and 16th Iowa. The 15th had 380 fielded on the consolidated morning report Saturday. I do not have the total fielded for the 16th, Co. A, but suspect it was about 35. Capt. Joshua Mason can confirm their numbers in the field. That would put our "authentic adjunct" at about 415 fielded out of 496 registered, which is a 16% attrition rate. Manassas was a 22% attrition of registered vs. fielded as a recent comparison. I did not think our attrition would be as high as 16% with the new substitutions and reports from company captains/POAs in the two weeks prior to the event date. Still we had a very respectable showing and I am very proud of the fine job done by everyone. The pics on the internet of the regiment give an extremely uniform image which is what we wanted, and should expect for a Federal regiment only one week out St. Louis. Just look at the black hats and blouses, and on Sunday when we had blanket rolls on. It looks like a believable group that all enlisted together. Nobody stood out individually, but as a regiment, we stood out beautifully. The images of us in the woods that goes on to the end of sight gives alot of us a chill. The comments on Youtube when we come out of the tree line is something like, "holy s**t, there's a mile of 'em." Sums it up well. And really everything that you guys accomplished was stunning when considered. We didn't drill prior as a regiment as we were from all over the country - and a few from across the pond. We functioned very well as a regiment. When we sent two companies forward as skirmishers on Sunday, they functioned under Berezuk without error. Then the regiment passed through the artillery by the right of companies to the front and wheeled back into line as if they'd done it 100 times. The left wheel of the entire regiment on two different occasions by the bugle Sunday was flawless. Every company functioned in the regiment as seasoned professionals. A tribute to the quality of all the well drilled living historians we had with us. And a statement of the fine officers and NCOs who had to have drilled everyone before even coming to Shiloh. Bottom line, we were all part of something bigger than our own companies and groups that we normally fall in with. We were with ALOT other guys and groups who take all of this as seriously as any of us do. We may be from all over the country and from different groups, but we were with the cream of the crop of like minded brothers that weekend. What makes us different than the rest? We all just try harder and strive to be better, and not just a few guys, everyone. I know we'll never be "perfect" - we can always improve on something - and won't hold a candle to the "original boys," - our ancestors were tough as nails - but I'm very proud of everyone of you, and you should be too. Bottom line, you guys did an amazing job, well done.
                  FWIW, I think you have every right to be proud of your accomplishments. I think most of us were proud to be a part of it. The 16% "pre-event attrition" rate for an all-infantry unit is in my limited experience pretty low. It reinforces the impression I have from other events that the more you ask of folks -- and in asking, offer -- the more likely they will show up. The biggest surprise to me was that there were that many p/c/h guys still in the hobby and able to show up in one place at a given time. That bodes well for the future.
                  Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Loved seeing the 15th march into action, three cheers to you boys!!!
                    Pvt. Chris Driscoll

Comment

Working...
                    X