Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Surrender of Secession - Westville, GA 1865 - OCt 2012

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
    Honest Associates? Would that be that big fellow with a Moustash and the younger blond-headed boy?

May the Lord save Stewart County and Lumpkin!
    Honesty is a matter of personal point-of-view... nothing is absolute, Mr. Canady.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Linda Nyland, Bev Simpson and myself had our first planning meeting today. No details to share yet, but we did get alot accomplished in my opinion. Website should be up with its first update by Dec 1st, 2011 and registration plans to open in January 2012. Event Organizers: Mens coordinator: Jim Butler / Womens coordinator: Linda Nyland and Food Coordinator: Bev Beverly Simpson. Some coordinators have been selected, but no announcements yet.

Thanks,
      Jim Butler
      Jim Butler

Comment

One of the primary means of communication and file storage for the Westville series is it's Yahoo Group listserver. Those who registered for the last event were admitted as their paid registration was received.

I'm about to delete users from the server in preparation for the next event, and we will be updating files and event information in the intervening period. You will receive a new invitation to the Yahoo group with your paid registration.

If there are pictures or files you wish to copy for your own reference, the listserve will remain open this week.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Mrs. Lawson,
          The photo's in the yahoo group albums are excellent...Is there a way we can permanently post them to the site (when referencing to westville '10) or combine them as a slideshow on a YT video like the first event?
          Last edited by MissMia; 08-01-2011, 07:22 PM.
          [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
          Historical Interpreter

Comment

Mia,

The picture files from previous events will stay in the Yahoo group files. The folks with more media expertise than I are welcome to access them and make them useful.

What I'm about to do is a temporary closure while we add to research files.

Folks will be readmitted to the group when they are cleared by the organizers and pay their registration fees.

As those fees are paid, the user will receive a group invite---and they will need to accept it WHEN RECEIVED.

Those invitations do expire, and a 'Lemme in, I'm your friend' won't do it this time. Register EARLY and OFTEN.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Ok sounds good...I'll try to get a video up eventually.
              Registering before getting added to the group is a great idea...Lord's willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be there 2012.

`Mia

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
              Mia,

The picture files from previous events will stay in the Yahoo group files. The folks with more media expertise than I are welcome to access them and make them useful.

What I'm about to do is a temporary closure while we add to research files.

Folks will be readmitted to the group when they are cleared by the organizers and pay their registration fees.

As those fees are paid, the user will receive a group invite---and they will need to accept it WHEN RECEIVED.

Those invitations do expire, and a 'Lemme in, I'm your friend' won't do it this time. Register EARLY and OFTEN.
              [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
              Historical Interpreter

Comment

The hosts of Sparks of Secession, Struggles of Secession and Surrender of Secession have been committed to raising money for preservation for the site. In 2009, we conducted a work weekend and painted the Climax Church. We also cleared out two cluttered, filthly cabins and cleared junk. We also raised money for the site at each of these events. The reenactors have grown very fond of the West Cabin. This served as Knuckols Tavern at the event. Sadly, the cabin had one corner of the cabin that was badly rotting and the cabin has begun to list off to one side. This will eventually be catastrophic. The site had new rails cut and set at the site, but not the funds to have the work done. Thru the efforts of Ed Henry, Jim Butler and Matt Woodburn, they were able to find just a couple of people qualified clsoe enought to do the work. A final quote of $10,000 was submitted to repair the cabin. Between the money we raised in 2010, the sites funds we were not even close to this amount. However, Matt Woodburn stepped forward and made a very generous donation to get this project underway. Thank you so much Matt for making this happen. We are pushing to have the cabin work done this year if possible, I hope to have picture of the progress as it is happening. Say thanks to Matt when you see him as the towns Mayor at Surrender of Secession - Westville, GA 1865. We also plan to raise more money for Historic Westville between now and the next event in 2012.

Thank You Matt Woodburn! Knuckols should name a drink after you!

See more at the event website at www.strugglesofsecession.com

Thanks,
                Jim Butler
                Jim Butler

Comment

We are bringing up a new website for the event...so don't panic as the old one is gone.
                  The new website is www.surrenderofsecession.com
                  Don't expect much on it yet. It won't be fully loaded and done until Nov-Dec this year. Registration does not open until Jan 1, 2012.

Thanks,
                  Jim Butler
                  Jim Butler

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
                    Honest Associates? Would that be that big fellow with a Moustash and the younger blond-headed boy?

May the Lord save Stewart County and Lumpkin!
                    Yes, may the lord save Stewart County. The boys from the north are coming.
                    Joe Beedle

http://www.2ndminnesota.com

http://thesheepfarm.org

Comment

Updates to "Event Description" (Invite process also posted there), "Research", "General Guidelines", "Fed Inf and cav Guidelines" and "Vendors" pages have been updated on the new site at www.surrenderofsecession.com

Thanks,
                      Jim Butler
                      Jim Butler

Comment

Folks,

Jim Butler has asked me to command the Federal infantry company at Surrender of Secession. The unit impression is the 176th New York Infantry, and the guidelines can be found here: http://www.surrenderofsecession.com/GUIDELINES.html

Just click on the Federal infantry guidelines, and read through them. As Jim has mentioned, the event staff is using accounts from western and middle Georgia after the end of the war. The 176th New York Infantry, known as the “Ironsides Regiment” was formed in December, 1862 as a combination of two other regiments that were slow to form fully. The Ironsides men were then sent to New Orleans, and saw combat in 1863 in actions at La Fourche crossing, Thibodeaux, Fort Buchanan, Bayou Boeuff and Brashier City. In the first part of 1864 it was in the XIX Corps during the Red River Campaign, then it was transferred to Sheridan’s command and participated in the Valley Campaign at 3rd Winchester, Fisher’ Hill, and Cedar Creek. Early in 1865 it was assigned to Savannah, and then later with the X Corps during the later stages of the Carolinas Campaign. Even after the surrender of the CS forces at Appomattox and Bentonville, the men of the 176th still had to finish their 3 year term of enlistment. The New Yorkers garrisoned Savannah, Ga initially, and then the men were ordered to garrison Macon, Ga plus the surrounding areas by September of 1865. The command served various garrison duties until April 27, 1866, when the regiment was mustered out.

All right, so the 176th has a unique history, but how does this translate to the Westville event? Well, Federal infantry participants have an opportunity to go into a recreated town of period structures, that will be inhabited by top notch civilian reenactors. The Federal force will be the occupying “hand” of the reestablished Federal government that has been tasked to restore order, since the Confederate government and the state government is no longer in charge. Of course, many citizens will not be pleased to see the “Yankee Horde” in their town, but times have changed, and the citizens need help. Also, how will recently surrendered Confederate soldiers who have returned home see Federal forces? Are we the “bad guys” or are we “good guys” since we are now, for all intents and purposes, the body that ushers back law and order. How will you as a Federal volunteer, substitute, or even conscript soldier feel about having to remain in the army, now that the war is over?

My goal for the garrison company is to provide the structure for a military command guarding Federal property, and trying to help make sense of a chaotic situation. The phrase "Strangers in a Strange Land" is a great description. This is a perfect choice for men who want to attend Westville, but do not want to fill in a civilian role, or have little experience with civilian roles. You will definitely get an experience that you will remember for a long time. I was lucky enough to participate in the first Westville event, Sparks of Secession in 2008, and it was an amazing event. I experienced some of the best first person interactions and “moments” at the event. I had little experience with civilian events until then, and it was amazing. I could not make the second event, but I head great remarks about it. Also, I am offering a very generous “bounty” to all men who register with the garrison company. It will be a nice “surprise” for those who sign on for the 176th New York, deep in ‘hostile’ territory. All I ask from the military participants is that you come with a good attitude, be prepared to be in first person the entire time, do your duty as a United States volunteer, and meet the guidelines.

Again, the guidelines are not difficult to attain, but this is an “Invitation Only” event. You will need to contact Jim Butler and myself to ensure a slot for the garrison company. I’ve already got men from Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and even Minnesota wanting to be in the garrison company.

Thanks all,
                        Herb Coats
                        Last edited by Coatsy; 01-04-2012, 12:23 AM. Reason: Better sentences = Better FirPer Nirvana
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

Herb,

You in charge of the Federals, me as town minister, this could be interesting my friend. ;-)
                          Robert Collett
                          8th FL / 13th IN
                          Armory Guards
                          WIG

Comment

The website is 95% complete and has a great deal of useful information (research, guidleines, trip info, etc). Registration opens Jan 1st, 2012. Please check it out at www.surrenderofsecession.com

Thanks,
                            Jim Butler
                            Jim Butler

Comment

Registration opens January 1st, 2012.
                              INVITATION PROCESS:

This event is an invitation only event. You can recieve an invitation in the following ways:
                              - One of the Coordinator (Jim Butler, Linda Nyland, Bev Simpson) will extend you one (via email or face-to-face).
                              - Apply for one. Submit an emailed request with a picture of you in your period clothing and a brief description of the role you wish to portray.
                              A reply will either approve your request or request changes or deny. Email myself unionguy1@comcast.net (Men) or Linda Nyland svarvar@bellsouth.net (Women).
                              - Once approved you can register after Jan 1, 2012.

Thanks,
                              Jim Butler
                              Jim Butler

Comment

Jim-sounds like a great event;put myself and my wife down as a convelscent soldier and his wife attending.her name is Terri Jarrett

Doug "Bones"Jarrett
                                Armory Guards
                                Doug "Bones" Jarrett

Comment

Working...
                                X