Withdrawing to Fort Donelson-Feb 9-12, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Withdrawing to Fort Donelson-Feb 9-12, 2012

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article/20120212/NEWS01/302120026/March-from-Forth-Henry-to-Fort-Donelson-recreated?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Enjoy this link to some photos.
    Jerry Ross
    Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
    Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

This is the third event I have participated in at Land Between the Lakes (Wood Gathering Detail, Backwaters, and Withdrawing to Donelson) and the first as CS infantry that interpreted Fort Henry / Fort Donelson in February 1862. This was an awesome opportunity to execute an early war event on the actual ground on the 150th anniversary. I typically enjoy events that are physically and mentally demanding and this was no exception. Some of us had never served before but have been to similar events and understood the importance of fieldcraft and working together as a unit. These skills and teamwork proved very important considering the small amount of daylight we had on Friday night upon reaching the bivouac site and the onset of a cold night. Getting fires, shelters, and hot food prepared in an expeditious manner ensured that all would survive a night which was later revealed to be 15 degrees with the windchill. Thankfully we had the mule drawn wagon available to haul extra blankets, overcoats, and tentage. The mule drawn wagon added so much to the period experience especially on Saturday a.m. as our infantry column trudged up and down the frozen hills behind the wagon team. The organizers did an outstanding job by routing us to the site of Fort Henry on Friday a.m. to hear author Kendall Gott speak about the events that transpired at Fort Henry followed by a seven mile march and engagements with the Federal cavalry nipping at our heels. Many thanks to the guys that put this together. Definitely enjoyed this one!

Mark Susnis
      Mark Susnis
      Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

I had a great experience at this event. It was good meeting new people and marching on the same ground the original cast marched. I greatly appreciated that wagon, so a huge THANK YOU to the teamsters and mules. My feet survived without any blisters, but I think that it took a few hours in the warm car to get my toes and fingers to thaw completely.
        Marvin Boyce

Comment

Here is a link to some pics that were taken by the local paper as we made it to the Fort- proud to serve with all of you. You all looked great.

John Walsh
          John Walsh

"Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?''

Comment

Lost and Found
            Lost
            Ronnie Tucker lost a old tattered rubber poncho was in Cameron and his wagon.
            Jerry Ross lost a Federal overcoat it was in with extra gear for Cavalry to swap over on Friday AM.Red lining and white threaded button holes

Found two items please contact John or myself to describe items.
            Jerry Ross

Hog Driver

Comment

Fellas ,
              One more item to add the list of missing equipment.

Gene Bolin lost a hatchet with his name on it.

Thanks Jerry
              Jerry Ross

Hog Driver

Comment

It is with envy and delight I write to you all. I am so sorry I could not be there with you in person, but I was in spirit. Fort Donelson and its history is a continuing work and there are as many stories here at Fort Donelson as there are at Gettysburg. In a diary of a member of the 46th Illinois, the night before the surrender he stated to keep the men from freezing they built huge bonfires and the soldiers walked round and round in a group-- trading spaces to get closer to the fire all night long! Keep up the good work and it looks like you were really cold---- but so were the originals.

CSuniforms
                Tom Arliskas
                Tom Arliskas

Comment

Today C-SPAN American History Channel is suppose to air the talk that Kendall D. Gott, author of "Where the South Lost the War" gave as part of the 150th Fort Donelson events. I do not get CSPAN 3 but probably you can see it at the website. Gott is the guy who gave a brief talk to us at the Fort Henry site.

Dan Stewart

Comment

I received a pleasant surprise from the National Park Service today. It consisted of a thank you letter from the superintendent of Ft. Donelson and a challenge coin for the Park / Sesquicentennial. I will carry it proudly!
                    Marvin Boyce

Comment

I got mine the other day, very nice indeed. Had an idea they were coming, but didn't know when.

If anyone who was there didn't get one, please let me know.

John Walsh
                      John Walsh

"Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?''

Comment

I received mine. Very nice gesture. I was pleasantly surprised at the mailbox for a change. Thanks to the Park Service and the Ft Donelson staff. This event will always be a very fond memory for me. Thanks.
                        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Guys

This is a long shot, I know. However, regarding the lost and found. I just realized I did, indeed, lose something at the Donelson event. I didn't realize it until just a few days ago. I lost or perhaps it was mistakenly picked up...a large tent fly. This was a borrowed item and I would love to get it back. It was brought to simply tarp the load in the wagon (should it have been required). Just a plain big canvas tent fly with some rope attached here and there and brass grommets.

If anyone knows its whereabouts I would be most appreciative.

Thanks
                          Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Comment

Gentlemen,

Cameron worked his rear end off on this event providing and helping with the wagon which added a lot and was so great to have. Let's everyone check extra hard for that tent fly in our pile of stuff. We certainly don't want Cameron to incurr any more out-of-pocket expense than he already has.

thanks,
                            Mark
                            J. Mark Choate
                            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Mark, Thank you for the kind words. I am happy to pass along John Walsh had it in safe keeping. I just didn't happen to miss it until recently

Thanks Jerry Ross and John Walsh as well
                              Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Comment

Bro. Cam,

I think I might have your fly. It came home with me in the UHaul from Shiloh. Call me tonight and I'll get it out to describe.
                                Matt Woodburn
                                Retired Big Bug
                                WIG/GHTI
                                Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                                "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Working...
                                X