• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hat Eagle/Pin

Anatomical left or right?
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Isnt the one reference to the officer that chaged out of the frock into a blouse on the boat mention that he tore the insignia off his"CAP"?

Sean Cowger
      Sean Cowger
      Co.B 36th Illinois Vols

Comment

Mark, anatomical. Think of your left hand and your right hand as a guide. Enlisted loop on the left, officers on the right. Go through every manual of arms and the sword in your head and it will make sense.

Sean, there is mention of one officer in a cap and blouse. So the officer of that company can go with a cap.

All else, refer to our posted guidelines and we'll do a convincing, uniform job.
        Matt Woodburn
        Retired Big Bug
        WIG/GHTI
        Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
        "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

As officers weren't issued uniforms, they of course had more leeway in personalizing their look and didn't necessarily look much like the men they commanded.

Per the 1861 U.S. Army Regulations, all ranks and branches except enlisted men of the infantry were to wear their dress hats turned up on the right. (Left/right is from the point of view of the WEARER.) This was a holdover from the days when Scott's was the standard infantry manual, and the basic "carry" was in the left hand- making a brim sticking out on that side impractical. Of course, once the manual changed to the U.S. Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics this was reversed, with "shoulder arms" moving to the right arm. So, in typical army logic, the only men charged to wear their brims turned up on the left are the only ones that would have found it inconvenient.

Of course, officers wearing dress hats would THEORETICALLY also be wearing the officer's version- brim bound in black silk, three feathers, and silk embroidered insignia rather than brass. As Matt (who is the final arbiter for purposes of this event) mentioned above, photographic evidence shows a wide array of interpretations by volunteer officers who were, after all, commissioning their own clothing.

(OK Matt sneaked in a reply while I was typing, so some of this was already answered!)
          Arch Campbell
          Hairy Nation
          Loyal Union League
          Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

"Sean, there is mention of one officer in a cap and blouse. So the officer of that company can go with a cap.

All else, refer to our posted guidelines and we'll do a convincing, uniform job."

Not to kick a horse but to be clear as possible does this mean you want all/majority of officers to be wearing a dress hat instead of a cap?
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

Paul,
              Thanks for the photos... does that "hook" possibly connect to an "eye" on the brim of the hat?

Ike Gatlin

Comment

Ike,

On the original hat it came with, the hook engaged into a cut in the brim slightly inside the two rows of stitching. This could easily have been installed this way by a prior collector enhancing a surplus hat, however I've seen other originals assembled with a slit in the brim. In an earlier conversation, someone stated that the hook was supposed to engage in a sewn loop or thread loop (as opposed to a metal eye), however I personally have not seen one like this and don't know the source of his information, though it sounds plausible.

Either way, the visual effect is the same. Only the portion of the plate below where it is narrowest (where the legs join the body) cover the upturned edge of the brim. The two loops of the plate only go through the hat crown, not the brim. Too often I see reenactor hats where the eagle plate sits too low and covers way too much of the brim.

Paul McKee
                Last edited by CompanyWag; 10-21-2011, 05:11 PM.
                Paul McKee

Comment

Here's my shot at recreating an eagle pin:

Here is a detail shot of the eagle.

Here is a detail of the attachment of the eagle inside the hat.

I removed the hooks from the back of the eagle and made my own hooks out of brass wire, according to the pics back at the beginning of this thread. My soldering was pretty ugly, but you don't see that when the eagle is installed. ;)

To attach the eagle, I cut a small slit in the brim, just under the stitching as well as the crown just opposite the loops. A piece of leather from some old belting is run through the loops on the inside of the hat to hold the eagle in-place.

Enjoy!
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hallo!

Here is an image of the 1855 cavalry hat, showing the embroidered eagel holding up teh brim and the cords:

I think some of the "problems" with the dress hat comes form some suters marketing/offering a M1858 AND a M1861 Hardee hat.

I have hypothesis that the Army took the eagle device from the 1854 shako which was worn on the front, and simply replaced the lower loop with a hook for the 1858 dress hat. And that vendors looked to artifact 1854 eagles and copied them moreso than the 1858 hooked version.

Uh oh. Tornado sirens.

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Well done, John! Its the little details like this that'll keep us from merely looking like mainstreamers sportin' hat brass.
                      Paul McKee

Comment

Thanks John for posting that picture, now I have something to go by in my placement. Never had a fancy hat pin before.
                        Dean Burchfield
                        [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
                        Cleburnes
                        Hard Case Boys
                        Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
                        Napoléon Bonaparte
                        A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

I found that if I have my pin aligned like Mr. Wickett's the top of the pin is almost at the top of the crown of my hat. I had to lower it down a touch, but it is close. Now if I could just be better at soldering.
                          Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                          49th Ohio
                          Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Thad,

Have a look at some of the originals on the ha.com site...
                            One or two show the eagle pretty close to the top of the crown. The crown of the hat in the pic I posted is every bit of 6" tall. However, if you've seen the old "Company Wag" article, you've seen the dimensions on a sampling of original hats, a significant portion of which had crowns less than 6" tall.
                            John Wickett
                            Former Carpetbagger
                            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

The one supplied to me for the event Bully Buy from Mr. Filthy William was one that has the two vertical prongs. I'd like to get the one with the 2 loops/hook combination. Anyone got one I can borrow? I don't have a solder gun, unfortunately.
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                              SCAR
                              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Don't worry Johnny, nobody is going to inspect the inside of your hat. Most of us have the same one.
                                [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                                ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                X