Pontoon Boat Adjunct for "Fire on the Rappahannock" - December 7-9, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontoon Boat Adjunct for "Fire on the Rappahannock" - December 7-9, 2012

I'm coordinating a team to construct two reserve train ('french' or wooden) Civil War period pontoons to be used to recreate the landing of the 89th NY during "Fire on the Rappahannock" the 150th Anniversary comemmortative reenactment of the Battle of Fredericksburg that is scheduled for 7 to 9 December. The Ferry Farm site in Stafford County has pledged $2000 for materials so they can keep one of the Pontoon Boats after the Fredericksburg Event.

There will be two distinct groups involved in this effort. The first group will be the portraying the 15th NY Engineers and will be handling the pontoons. The second group will be portraying the 89th NY and will storm the city dock and clear it for the rest of the army. I need individuals to help handle the boats, providing living history demonstrations for the public and finally officers and soldiers to portray the 89th NY. I do need four officers to command the companies of the 89th NY, if you can recruit 25 soldiers for the role please contact me directly.

Name - Pontoon Boat Adjunct for "Fire on the Rappahannock"
    Dates - December 7-9, 2012
    Location - Fredericksburg, VA
    Coordinator - Pete Berezuk (pete.berezuk@gmail.com)
    Event Type - Authentic Adjunct
    Impression - 15th NY Engineers and 89th NY Infantry, Authenticity Guidelines will be published shortly
    Registration - TBD, includes donation to fund construction of pontoons that will remain at Ferry Farm

If you have any questions concerning the activities planned, please feel free to contact me directly.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Re: Pontoon Boat Adjunct for "Fire on the Rappahannock" - December 7-9, 2012

Since I wrote this post earlier this month and this event passed through the Authentic Campaigner's Event committee, there have been a few updates.

The Pontoon Boat Adjunct is being coordinated by the Washington Guard with support from several other living history groups throughout the mid-Atlantic.

The Registration Fee will be $35 (broken down to $15 for the "Fire on the Rappahannock" event registration, $15 to support the Pontoon Building Fund and $5 for rations). Registration for this event will be by individuals. A registration form and instructions will be published shortly.

There are two distinct elements to this Adjunct...

A section of the 15th NY Engineers (25 individuals maximum) will assist in the construction of the pontoons and will handle them during the crossing of the Rappahannock on December 8, 2012. After completing that task, the 15th NY Engineers will remain at the City Dock and Ferry Farm to provide living history displays. There are five weekends scheduled for the actual construction effort at Ferry Farm. The dates and the expected tasks to be performed are listed below.

June 9-10 - 1st Weekend - Prepare materials, build frames. being planking
    August 4-5 - 2nd Weekend - Complete Planking and Gunwales, prepare exterior for painting
    September 22-23 - 3rd Weekend - Paint exterior
    November 11-12 - 4th Weekend - Finish details (oar locks, compartments, cavil), Test run in river
    December 1-2 - 5th Weekend - Back-up Weekend in case of delays

4 officers and 100 Soldiers of the 89th NY Infantry will participate in a compressed but documented recreation of the activities they took during the battle. They will picket the Stafford County bank of the Rappahannock starting before dawn. They will assist the 15th NY Engineers in moving the pontoons down to the river and launching them. In the morning, they will cross the river by pontoon and clear the Fredericksburg City Dock of Rebel resistance. During the day the companies of the 89th NY will be assigned a number of tasks including guarding the middle bridge crossing as troops come across, securing key points in the town, and providing living history displays at looted homes and hospitals. In the afternoon, the 89th NY will be the last unit to assault on Marye's Heights. After the conclusion of the assault, the 89th NY will return to the city dock and march back across the bridge into Stafford County. Attached to this message is a historical account of the 89th NY's action in crossing the Rappahannock.

89thNY_Fredericksburg.pdf

The organization of these elements is in progress. I will be in overall Command and portray the Lieutenant Colonel of the 89th NY. The Joe Caridi and Billy Birney will fill Commissary and Quartermaster roles for this organization. Michael Comer has signed on and will portray Captain Seymour L. Judd of Company G. The three other officer spots are open to individuals interested in and capable of raising 25 soldiers to participate in this endeavor, please contact me if you can commit and support this endeavor.

The historical records indicates the 89th NY was equiped in New York State specific clothing and equipments and was armed with Enfield Rifle Muskets. The 15th NY Engineers appears to be in the standard garb of volunteer infantry in the Army of the Potomac. Material Standards for the 89th NY Infantry and 15th NY Engineers are being reviewed right now and will be published shortly.

I have a growing list of individuals who are interested in participating in this effort. If you have interest, please send me an email at pete.berezuk@gmail.com and I will add you to my contact list and keep you informed.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

It's one of those rare opportunities where I wish that I resided in Virginia and could participate for the several things listed on the schedule.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I know Pete has been doing a "BOAT" load of research on this one. Pardon the pun...;) After the success of TBEB with moving people across water and all the logistics that went with that, there is no doubt in my mind that this will be an epic adventure not to be missed!!! Come Hell or High Water I must be there.!!!
        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

This should certainly be a bang up event that you won't have the opportunity to duplicate in my opinion.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Sounds very cool. I'm interested.
            Frank Perkin

Comment

I'd be delighted to have you in my company if you so desire Frank.
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

Gentlemen,

I am grateful for the enthusiasm and interest. Please send me an email at pete.berezuk@gmail.com to express your interest. I'll send you a confirmation and add you to the contact list.

Registration will open in Mid March, those who have expressed interest and sent me their email address will recieve the form and instructions first.
                Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

You have my email Pete :)
                  [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                  ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Sounds like a blast!

Tyler Underwood

Co. E 15th Iowa
                    Tyler Underwood
                    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

And now I know why God does the cool things He does. #4 for 2012 jumps up. Pete, put me on the list for the 89th NY infantry. I want to be a private. rmwoodburn@aol.com

OK, I can't wait to ask...two pontoon boats...so I'm guessing a span of something like 30-40 feet??? How wide is the river where we cross? The Rappahannock? Do we cross and go up Marye's Heights? This thing has sizzle!
                      Matt Woodburn
                      Retired Big Bug
                      WIG/GHTI
                      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn
                        OK, I can't wait to ask...two pontoon boats...so I'm guessing a span of something like 30-40 feet??? How wide is the river where we cross? The Rappahannock? Do we cross and go up Marye's Heights? This thing has sizzle!
                        We're not building a bridge. We're building two pontoons to ferry the troops of the 89th NY across the Rappahannock from the old ferry landing on George Washington's boyhood home to the Fredericksburg City Dock. The river is approximately 75 yards wide at that point. After clearing the City Dock the 89th NY will be assigned a number of tasks in the city before reforming and assaulting Marye's Heights per the history of that regiment.

I promise to post more details, especially of the details for constructing and handling the pontoons. Matt, I've got your name on the list with Mike Comer's company.
                        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Pete,
                          I'd like to lend a hand in either companys capacity. I don't have much boat handling skills but I am a quick learner! I'll help with building pontoons also. Since I live here in Stafford just point the way! And I have an Enfield rifle musket.
                          [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                          Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                          [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                          Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                          Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                          The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

UPDATE 29 Feb 2012. Registration for “Fire on the Rappahannock” commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Fredericksburg is now open. Visit http://fredericksburg150.org/registration-form/ to see instructions and retrieve the application and release forms.

Thank you

Jerry Lynes
                            28th Mass, Co B www.28thMassCoB.org
                            Battle of Fredericksburg Commemoration Committee

Fredericksburg, VA

Comment

Pontoon Adjunct Material Standards Posted

Gentlemen,

Material Standards for the 89th NY Infantry and 15th NY Engineers have been completed. They are listed below in this message. If you have any questions concerning them, please contact me directly at pete.berezuk@gmail.com.

89thNY_Standards.doc

15thNY_Standards.doc
                              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Working...
                              X