Vicksburg Living History Dates Set- CS, US and Civilian- May 3-5, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vicksburg Living History Dates Set- CS, US and Civilian- May 3-5, 2013

I might have to take some finals early, but I am in for this event.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Unlike 1863, looks like there'll be some reinforcements from Virginia coming out. I'm looking forward to this!
      Bill Backus

Comment

What's the plan for this LH? I've heard different rumors, but would want to hear the straight story rather than the made up ones.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Pat will post a more detailed plan for what is going to happen. We wanted to get the date out there now so people could plan ahead. Contact me if you are interested in falling in with Company H of the 45th Illinois!
          Nathan Hellwig
          AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Our Company will be portraying Co. B of the 113th Illinois Infantry . These were men who could not afford to leave homes and families initally. We will be stationed near Graveyard road and will be in that area . The 113th was part of the attacks on the Stockade Redan in that area. Those interested contact me.
            Rod Miller
            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Silas,
              What are you wanting to know? The interp plan needs to be approved by the Park, but the basic is that we will have 6 overall stops for interp. CS, US and Civilian. As far as what specifically we will do that weekend, I seriously doubt the information will be printed out in black and white for the attendees. I will let the commanders know, but that's about it. It's basically going to be an expanded version of "Life on the Line"
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Ben Sisler 45th IL.jpgHere's some 45th Illinois SoldiersJohn McCrory 45th IL.jpgPrivate Gustavus Martin 45th Illinois.jpg

Private Gustavus Martin (w/ hardtack)
                Private Ben Sisler (jacket)
                Private John McCrory (Army Dress Coat)

v/r
                Mark Susnis
                Mark Susnis
                Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

PM sent to Landrum.
                  Silas Tackitt,
                  one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Mr Miller,

PM sent.
                    Mike Bryant
                    8th Missouri Infantry US
                    Vicksburg, Mississippi

Comment

Originally posted by Mikevpd View Post
                      Mr Miller,

PM sent.
                      got it ! and responded
                      Rod Miller

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                      A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary

Comment

Here's Private Ephraim Graham of the 45th Illinois and an excerpt from the Illinois Adjutant General's Report on the service of the 45th IL during the Vicksburg Campaign.E Graham 45th IL.jpg

Regards,
                        Mark Susnis

The Forty-fifth moved on the return march December 22, to north of the Tallahatchie River,
                        where it remained until January 1, 1863, when it continued its northern march to Memphis.
                        In the month of February, the Forty-fifth moved with General Grant's Army on transports down the river from Memphis to take part in the Vicksburg campaign. Stops were made at Lake Providence, Vista Plantation and Milliken's Bend. At Milliken's Bend, volunteers were called for to run the batteries with transports at Vicksburg. The entire Regiment, officers and men, volunteered for this duty. The matter was decided by making a detail of the quota assigned to the Forty-fifth. The detail comprised the crew which manned the steamer Anglo Saxon, and took her safely through, loaded with a full cargo of commissary stores. The following composed the detail: Commander, Captain L. B. Fisk, Co. E; Pilots, Privates Charles Evans, Co. D, Joshua Kendall, Co. K; Engineers, Sergeant A. J. Esping, Co. B, Charles Flint, Co. G.; Firemen, Privates J. M. Primmer, Co. F, Wm. Tripp, Co. G, Jonny Paul, Co. C.
                        May 1, 1863, found the Forty-fifth on the east bank of the Mississippi at Bruinsburg, below
                        Vicksburg, and the same day started with General Grant's army on the famous campaign which ended in the capture of Vicksburg. The Regiment participated in all the battles of the campaign forming part of Logan's Division.
                        The position of the Forty-fifth during the siege of Vicksburg, was immediately at the White
                        House, on the Jackson road, in front of the rebel Fort Hill, regarded as the key to the fortress.
                        The Forty-fifth took part in three charges against the rebel works, on the 19th and 22d of May, and the 25th of June. On the 22d Major Luther H. Cowen was instantly killed. About a month was occupied in running a sap and digging a mine under Fort Hill. June 25, the mine having been charged, the match was applied. The Forty-fifth was selected at the storming party, when the breach should be made. Immediately after the explosion, the Regiment rushed into the crater, but was met with a murderous fire by the enemy, who was still protected by an embankment of about three feet in width, which had been thrown up by the rebels as an inner line in case the outer works should be demolished. The loss to the Forty-fifth in this charge, was 83 officers and men killed and wounded. Among the killed were Melancthon Smith, Lieutenant Colonel, Leander B. Fisk, Major, and a number of non-commissioned officers and men. Among the wounded was Jasper A. Maltby, Colonel of the Regiment. it was a bloody affair indeed. When the city surrendered on account of its conspicuous service during the siege, by order of General Grant the Forty-fifth was given the advance of the Union army when it entered that stronghold, and its flag was raised upon the court house by Colonel Wm. E. Strong, of General McPherson's staff, to denote the possession of the city by the Federal army.
                        Mark Susnis
                        Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Holler, Mess No.1 is looking to join you and the 45th. We will try to get ten guys or so.
                          Ken Cornett
                          MESS NO.1
                          Founding Member
                          OHIO
                          Mason Lodge #678, PM
                          Need Rules?

Comment

113th Inf 1.jpg113th Inf 3.jpg113th Inf 2.jpg Just a few pics of some 113th boys
                            Rod Miller

A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary

Comment

Sounds like a good event, thinking about it myself. Slept in Fort Garrott some years ago, on the lip of the works there was a good breeze and kept those skeeters away. Same event David Beasley thought I kicked him in the top of the head. Upon rising up read what happened to Col./Gen. Garrott and was amazed.

http://www.nps.gov/vick/historycultu...rt-garrott.htm
                              Dean Burchfield
                              [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
                              Cleburnes
                              Hard Case Boys
                              Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
                              Napoléon Bonaparte
                              A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

I am raising a C.S. company for Vicksburg. Impression TBD. If you are interested, please contact me at rambling_irishman@hotmail.com. We can promise great impressions, interesting living history, and a disturbing
                                sense of humor. Join the Independent Rifles today!

Justin Morris
                                [B]Justin Morris[/B]
                                [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
                                "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X