Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickett's Mill AAR's

Originally posted by Pvt Boudreaux View Post
    One Fed, who gets all the credit for trying to stay in character and not ruin the moment lay in front of the rail fence, as we fired. Kudos, brother. When his comrades resurrected and left the field, a couple of the Poser Company asked him what he was doing there. His reply: "I've been shot, you idiot!" Best comeback I've heard in a while.
    That was me! I had a few other choice words for some of the Rebs at the fence line, but it was all in good fun. I was extremely grateful to the two fellers who pulled me over the fence so I could be properly captured. It's always fun to do some first-personating with the boys on the other side.

This was my first EBUFU event and I had a blast. I made a point of hydrating the week before the event and of making a few practice marches with some or all of my kit to make sure I was in shape. The positive effects of this sort of preparation cannot be overstated. Ivan Ingraham really set the tone for first person at role call Saturday morning and I was glad to play with many of the boys who had done their homework and stayed in character. (I have since learned the nature of the "business venture" that was being discussed in Third Company and glad to see it never came to pass while we were in the field.) A big thanks to Jeremy Brevard and the rest of the ONV for welcoming me and my comrades from the CVG into the Billy Goat ranks.
    [I][B][SIZE="3"]Douglas Ullman, Jr.[/SIZE][/B][/I]
    Gravel Cruncher

[I][FONT="Times New Roman"]"We will Stane this Suthrn Soil with our blood. And leave maney of our boddyes there in memory of the day that we Stood like a Stone wall and fight to the last to Conquer this Rebelien or Die."
    - Cpl. Rey Rudolph, 102nd New York Volunteers, March 28, 1865[/FONT][/I]

Comment

I will give credit, there was one fed in front of us out of Walter Cook's Florida Bastards that laid there until I went up and nudged him and told him everyone else had gone. The one finger salute, which I saw, in front of the crowd with the park higher ups there was not cool. Not freaking cool at all.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

I had heard the impact of the men staying along the deadline in the past. Perhaps an improvement would have been to give direction to the men on what to do this year. When that fighting was over (had to be for me as I had no company left really) I was yelling for the men to retreat. Those still "able" were not moving so I yelled louder and waved my arms to get back. My intention was for the "wounded and dead" to stay behind. But my yelling and waving, I think, made men and the NCO's think I wanted everyone to move back together so they started gathering up the wounded. This spread and once that started I didnt try to stop it. I honestly wasn't sure what they should or shouldn't do or what/where we were going to do next. I found out one man, Douglas above, was missing. Perhaps a flaw in leadership in a case like this but I wasn't leaving the field missing one man. I sent Sgt Joshua Mason to go find him, bring him to us or the very least stay with him. You know, buddy system. That fight was the event highlight for me so I am sorry for anyone that those choices hurt your expeirence, seriously. It wil make me ask more command questions next time and maybe take a different look at things.

Honestly, I'm not sure we could have actually stopped the Reb counter attack with the numbers that would have been left behind, with any realistic chance anyway. I know most of my company took hits in the two assaults we made. Either way, lessons to move forward with.
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Well, not really an AAR here but a thank you to all that came out and participated; especially those that made it through the rain on Sat night. As acting Adjutant and Jr Field officer of the Confederates as well as a member of the event staff, I was "in the rear with the gear" quite a bit to make sure the public maintained a safe distance and other behind the scenes things so missed much of the up front action but I will say that viewing the action you looked great out there and morale always seemed to be high no matter what the elements threw at you.

To the others who were on staff: Herb, Ricky, Jordan, Aaron, Clint, and Robbie thank you for the herculean effort of making the event happen (especially the OCN Herb)! To the officers from Brian and Joe down, thank you all as well!
          Last edited by toptimlrd; 06-04-2014, 06:06 PM.
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

Yeah, I get this. I was at the 2004 event, and had enough personal friends at the 2001 event to get a solid picture, so I get where you're coming from. In 2001 the Fed Battalion portrayed the 41st Ohio, had probably three times as many men as we did last weekend, and took fate cards into the battle. They left a 'dead' company on the field which stayed in place for maybe an hour after the fight, then resurrected to become an extra Federal company complete with officers. The one aspect gleaned from that event was the brilliance with which this was pulled off by John Cleaveland, as the men for weeks afterwards were speaking of its chilling effect, ie. missing comrades etc.

I think your point here is lost in the contrast. What they put together in 2001, and to a lesser extent in 2004, is damned hard to recreate. I would ask we recognize the brilliance there instead of criticize what we had last weekend, which was credible at the very least and extremely substantial in all fairness. We marched all over the field, fought four battles, endured a monsoon Saturday night, and it certainly wasn't any damn joke hiking up those hills. If we had 150 guys in the battalion like we had in 2004 maybe we could have left half of them in the cornfield and still had something more than a platoon to finish the scenario.

I appreciated the way you guys came at us Sunday, the professionalism you displayed. The respect you showed, by not clowning it up and rushing our works when you had double our numbers, that says a lot. I think we've all been doing this long enough, and respectfully we need to take events at face value and see the merit in each rather than comparing to the past. The Picketts Mill event in 2001 was one of the best of all time, and should probably remain there.
            Mike Phineas
            Arlington, TX
            24th Missouri Infantry
            Independent Volunteer Battalion
            www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Mike, it is unfortunate that the Fed numbers were not greater. I know that certainly limited what could be done, and put more work upon you all who were there. While it is hard to duplicate experiences, I wish to point out that those previous events should not be isolated instances, but examples to be emulated, if possible. True, John Cleveland was responsible for a good deal of logistics and detail with those two events. He and I corresponded about the level of commitment, critics, bashing, etc., and it was clear that he was getting burned out.

While last weekend's event was good/great, it paled to what previous experiences provided. Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the efforts of all the organizers (who did not stop working after we all left the event - they assisted Park staff, reset cannon, etc.). My point is that this event should not have been reinvented. To borrow an Air Force phrase: "Aim high!".

I was neither over whelmed, nor under whelmed, simply whelmed. Was I tired at the end of it, you bet. Sated? Not really, but maybe I've seen too much.

Maurice Ungaro
              Blind Pig Mess
              Maurice Ungaro
              Blind Pig Mess

Comment

Appreciation for the reply. In all fairness there was much consternation as to why we did not charge across the field in force, even knowing it would probably wreck the rest of the scenario. My greatest regret in re-enacting is not having the gear to do this event in 2001. When I attended three years later I felt some of the same letdown described here, but only because I had lofty expectations. That was a learning experience I've tried to utilize ever since.

Thanks again for the professionalism in Sundays charge.
                Mike Phineas
                Arlington, TX
                24th Missouri Infantry
                Independent Volunteer Battalion
                www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Gents, thanks for the great comraderie, and atmosphere. I put together much less complex events here for the museum as my job and it is a ton of work, so I can't imagine the level of preparation and effort that went in to putting this together, so you have my deep appreciation. I have to admit, laying under a poncho Saturday night, literally praying "please God let it stop raining", re-inforced a lesson I had already learned in the Army years ago, don't travel too light. I made that mistake when I knew better! Oh well, it sure won't happen again, shelter half on every event! I do need to get in touch with Adam Clark, he and I had a fortuitous conversation where I found out that he found the belt, bayonet and cap pouch I lost in the parking lot at Chickamauga! I want to send him my address and postage cost!
                  Frank Siltman
                  24th Mo Vol Inf
                  Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                  Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                  Company of Military Historians
                  Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Very few events live up to hype or expectations, I think. In my own time doing this, which is significant, I have both attended and missed "the best event ever", depending on the perspective. Comparisons are always inevitable, but in this case, if the last really amazing iteration of this event was more than ten years ago, what does that say about the participants now? We put a paltry 80 Feds in the field for this event. Granted, these were the guys who showed up (though some left, as Mr. Ungaro so passionately pointed out) and made the event possible, but where was everybody?

I think it is a case of event saturation from the 150th (this event, as an example, was sandwiched between Resaca and Kennesaw Mountain and all three are significant to the overall Atlanta Campaign). This contributes to the reduction in numbers and the fact that many people have to make choices as to which events they attend if the events are scheduled close together--eastern and western theatres compete within their respective areas, never mind one region over another. Once the 150th is over, there will be fewer events from which to choose and any sort of "national" intitiatives will have to be generated at lower levels. Larger doesn't always indicate better, but to portray an accurate Regimental or even Brigade sized battle line and have "fate card" casualty designations that allow for more realistic depictions isn't possible without increased numbers. In no way am I suggesting we lower the standards or cut corners to achieve this.

I agree with Mike and Maurice in that the event had its moments, and further support Mike's assessment that Sunday was very good (as I also mentioned above in my earlier post). Maybe this event is one where more reflection is necessary about the hobby, where we are heading post-150th, what we want out of events, and how we approach doing this collectively? That is probably best served in another thread (probably in the Sinks!), but it is something I have been thinking about. If we want to bring back "the good old days" some analysis as to what made them so "good" is necessary.
                    Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM. Reason: Grammar!
                    Ivan Ingraham
                    AC Moderator

Comment

Bravo, Ivan. Yes, we, as a hobby, need some serious introspection. Personally, I am glad to see many younger folks in the ranks - Lord knows we need them. Many of the older guys are ...well...old.
                      My mess has discussed what the longevity of the hobby will be, post 150th. That is certainly a worthy topic for another thread.
                      Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 06-05-2014, 01:14 PM. Reason: Had to remove swearing.
                      Maurice Ungaro
                      Blind Pig Mess

Comment

Meant to write "dang nab bit", not the other swear word. Hence, the moderation.
                        Maurice Ungaro
                        Blind Pig Mess

Comment

Had a great time. First real event I have done since Outpost II. Yes, I took a long time off...

It wasn't the best event I have ever attended as far as moments, but it is an event that made me realize I can still do the tough ones. Even though it was kind of harsh, I trained before the event and came out fine. Almost all of the guys in my company did great. I do know we were in plenty good shape to tangle with the Cav if given the opportunity.

Some moments that aren't really "Civil War" that I enjoyed:
                          -walking into camp on Friday evening with fireflies going off all through the woods. Spectacular scene coupled with the wood smoke from fires hanging in the air.
                          -after we reached the top of a ravine and the column was snaked around a brush pile, a tiny fawn burst out and ran through the line, hid for a moment more, then went down the side and crossed the creek. As I watched that I wondered if the boys back then would have allowed that to happen or if the little guy would have become a meal.

Some period moments:
                          -the boys that just sang away every time we settled down. Not so sure if the guys back then would have been singing in a storm, but it did create a positive atmosphere in a real sucky moment.
                          -The sound of the artillery going off through the ravines. Made you think the show was about to commence if you were ready or not.
                          -I really don't get into the battles that much, but Sunday morning was a moment. When we fell back to our works after being pushed from the field, the rebel yell raised the hair on my neck as a battle line formed and came towards us through the woods. The Confederate battle flag fell a number of times just to come back up again. We held and they fell back. I'll never forget when the yell came again, someone down the line said something like "Are they really coming again?" NCO's and officers were moving up and down the line replenishing cartridge boxes. The Johnnies did a great job in their repeated assaults. I am ashamed to say we did not take enough hits.

I thank everyone that put their time, energy, and money on the line for all of us to experience the weekend. I thank Cal Kinzer for the fire on Sunday morning. I especially thank all of the guys in First Company. No whiners and complainers!:D

On another note, do the rest of you have that Georgia soil glitter all over your gear? Pretty dang sparkly... I will probably be called a farb at the next event:sarcastic

Michael Ilgenfritz

Comment

Mike (Fritz), I was going to ask that same question of you all on the side, but yep, my brogans and trousers have this glitter looking stuff on them from the soil. I did a Cub Scout field day demo on Weds, and was like, uh, no, I don't play with glitter paint...
                            Frank Siltman
                            24th Mo Vol Inf
                            Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                            Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                            Company of Military Historians
                            Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by LAYank View Post

On another note, do the rest of you have that Georgia soil glitter all over your gear? Pretty dang sparkly... I will probably be called a farb at the next event:sarcastic

Michael Ilgenfritz
                              Ah, so you've now gotten aquatinted with Georgia clay! Tenacious stuff, for sure. Thanks for the feed back on our attack on Sunday morning. A few of the boys simultaneously started up the Rebel yell, and it just rolled through the ranks. Glad to know it had the desired effect!
                              Maurice Ungaro
                              Blind Pig Mess

Comment

Well, I figured I would at some point play the part of a casualty at this event…didn’t plan on playing one quite so realistically!

During the Saturday morning skirmish, I was finding I couldn't hold down water, already found out food wasn't staying down earlier, but when water was coming out as fast as I put it in, the forgone conclusion was that the event was over for me at that point.

Sean Harla, Mike Phineas, and others relieved me of my gear/uniform, got me flat on my back on my ground-cloth, Sean was trying to check my pulse, started pouring water down my back, and on my arms to cool me down…Herb Coats came up, was (I believe) communicating with Park folk, Mike Ventura comes riding up on his horse, looking VERY tall in the saddle from my perspective, (Always wanted to meet him, just never figured it would be while being flat on my back!) I don’t know who exactly did what, or when, but they got me up, walked me a bit to a place in the road, where a 4-wheeler came up, got me in the back with another feller who discovered the event was over for him also.

Well, they got me, and feller no.2 up to the Park Visitors Center, where a real nice (good looking, too) EMP Lady checked my vitals, checked my blood sugar, gave me fluids…The Park folk got us inside to stay in the cool air, I was able to hold down some fluids, dared not try to eat anything! Later that evening they drove me to the Pavilion, where I quietly waited out the event to be over with.

This all came about due to:
                                Weekend before, suffering from severe throat infection, and taking a huge anti-biotic twice, daily, requiring food along with it.
                                Not having a real good nights sleep for some days preceding the event.
                                Having only a LIGHT (small) breakfast on Friday morning, and a “quick” store bought chicken salad sandwich (big mistake) on the way to the event, stopping only for gas and bathroom breaks, making for a fast trip.
                                I figured that we would get rations, so I’d get something to eat Friday night on site…the rations thing didn't work out too well, all that seemed left that I saw was mostly crumbs and pieces of fat. I know some of the crew spent some good time frying pork that evening, but I never saw any of it. One of my pards gave me a piece of soft bread, which was appreciated. I did feel a bit of an upset stomach coming on.
                                That night I had good rest, but slept little.
                                Saturday morning I didn’t feel like drinking coffee, got a few pieces of fat with meat on them and cut away the fat and fried up a little bit of the meat, and ate some, then the “fun” began.

Well, you can only run on empty so long. Got dealt a bad hand on this event…but seems I was the one who shuffled my own cards!

Now, for the things I liked…

I actually enjoyed the skirmish we had Saturday morning, very strange to hear the commands of the Rebs in the distance, but could see little out in front due to the foliage. Real strange to only see a glint of a rifle barrel, or a glimpse of a hat, and hearing voices in the distance, but not hardly much else. It sure brought to mind some period accounts I’d read! Once the action started, falling back onto works thrown up on the road, fighting delaying actions, falling back some more…

My 1st event like this as a Yank, I was pleased with how I had my equipage carried, nothing that was a problem, it stayed where it needed to be.
                                I actually got to meet and shake hands with folk I only knew by their pictures, messaging, or postings…Eric Tipton, Bob Johnson, Johnny Loyd, mentioned Mike Ventura…I was glad to be in the ranks with these guys…(Can’t seem to get that song “Hog eye Man” out of my head!) Was in among some of the best Federal impressions I had seen!

I appreciated everyone’s concern for my well being, was so glad to get off the field so quickly, so the event could go on for all others, (Heck, I knew I’d be taken care of.) The Park folk were a real class act! I wish you boys could hear some of the visitors comments about the battle on Saturday afternoon…one Lady said she had seen a lot of battles and skirmishes, but never any that looked that good.

My 1st two days back to work, welding out in the hot Texas sun…I’m quiet better!

We all come away from an event like this, with a different perspective than when we started, I know I have.
                                Last edited by Pritchett Ball; 06-07-2014, 02:59 PM.
                                Kevin Dally

Comment

Working...
                                X