Pickett's Mill AAR's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickett's Mill AAR's

I have had a weak spot near the top of my hardee for a few years where a company letter was and it cut into the felt just a bit after the crown fell in during a rainstorm.

I just dragged my gear in from drying and that is now a full blown hole about the right size after Pickett's Mill.

Made me think I was lucky on that Saturday night assault.

image.jpg
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

I really enjoyed working the artillery this past weekend. I had never had that opportunity and learned a lot of crewing a gun and served in all the positions. It made the trip quite worthwhile. We did demos for a lot of people on Saturday and fired during the skirmish and battle although we were no on the field with the infantry. We fired every half hour and sometimes every fifteen minutes which was a lot of fun and also fired by the gun and by the section. Since we were on the location of the actual battery, I couldn't help but think about the damage and carnage that the original boys we were imitating actually caused that day.

I felt for my comrades in the Federal ranks as they marched by. You boys looked awfully good but also awfully tired. We had heard about the challenges and I have to admit I was kind of grateful to be doing artillery. The CS impressions were also top-notch. It was a fine, fine bunch that showed up for this event and I will tell you the public really noticed a difference between what we put on the field and what they are used to seeing. One guy thanked me when he asked me where our tents were and I told him about how things really would have been.

What was disappointing is that we intended to move our gun over to Hazen's Hill Saturday after the CS forces left our area, change into Federal kit and have a nice surprise for the Rebs when they approached the lines the next day. Unfortunately, the heavy rains squelched that plan since the park didn't want us to move their gun down the muddy trails since we would have a good chance of getting stuck. That was the only negative for me.

Ask me sometime about the muzzle velocity of a large sweet potato.

As to the rest of the weekend I had a great time with some great guys and want to thank Clint Morris for giving me the invite a year ago to be part of the artillery crew for this.
      Last edited by Michael Comer; 06-02-2014, 03:42 PM.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Good seeing you Mike!

Good point on the possibility of first person poor acting I had not considered! That would probably would be as authentic and welcome as much as munching on a bag of Doritos at an event. (My apologies to the mainstreamers in the crowd :tounge_sm )
        Joseph Musgrove

Comment

I want to thank the guys that came together to form Co E for the weekend. The cool experience for me was the fact that in our ranks we had 3 sets of Fathers and Sons along with two brothers falling in with the company. Having lost my Dad, who got me into reenacting when I was 5, it was nice to take the field and be reminded of what this hobby was really about for me, and even more so now- Family. The bond that the guys in the Independent Rifles have is something I try to never take for granted, and I'm sure those involved in a unit or a mess hold the same to be true. I want to thank my Brothers in arms not only for being a part of my life, but for giving the weekend a solid effort, many driving over 12 hours one way to be there and support our friends in the Armory Guard.

To Herb, Jordan, RICKY BOBBY, Robbie Mitchell et al, THANK you for the monumental effort. To Colonel Hicks, it was a pleasure being under your command and falling in with groups we have been absent from for nearly 3 years. I hope the park appreciated us as much as we all appreciate the park. I will say the strange thing for me was thinking back at 13 years in the campaigner side of the hobby and walking around in the parking lot seeing so many faces I didn't recognize and not seeing those I had grown to respect. The hobby certainly has changed.
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

Since the first time "150th Pickett's Mill" was uttered on the AC I couldn't wait to get out to Georgia. This last weekend was a disappointment to me. While it was an excellent experience of soldiering, I feel like I completely missed out on experiencing Pickett's Mill itself. Granted, I won't deny I probably let my expectations get too high from the stories of the Mill of past, but the whole event seemed very disorganized in the scenarios. They were short and lacked in any climax. I had a good time, but I was disappointed. Still would like to express all gratitude possible toward Herb and the others.
            Jonathan Siltman
            24th Missouri Vol. Inf.
            Bully Boys Mess
            www.24thmissouri.org
            Ft. Sill Museum Gun Crew
            Good ol' Fashion Troublemaker

Comment

Ha ha ha ha ha... The good Lord himself and all his apostles could not have miracled the piece up that mess of a road Sunday Mike!
              Mike Phineas
              Arlington, TX
              24th Missouri Infantry
              Independent Volunteer Battalion
              www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

I had a great time! Battles were close and personal and other than the down pour on Saturday night it was a great event, I only wish I could have been there Sunday.
                On another note I looking for my Mystery Jacket (Natural on natural jean, wood buttons, welt pocket on the front, size 40), it seems that it did not make it home with me. If you or someone you know may have picked it up please contact me at cc.lyman@yahoo.com, it would have either been on the back porch of the visitors center or in the parking lot of the visitors center. Thanks!
                [U]Cameron Lyman[/U]
                Eighth Generation Texan

Independent Rifles

Comment

I do not believe I have ever produced so much perspiration. Being utterly exhausted on Saturday was the most authentic thing we did all weekend. Read the letters, diaries, reports, histories they all say the same thing. Those boys got to the top, made it within yards of going over and just ran out of gas. And those were veteran Soldiers without a super sized waist line. I consider myself to be in above average physical condition. I do PT 4-5 days a week, average 8-10 miles running and score well on my Army PT tests. Those hills in full marching order are not to be pushed aside and any slowness of the column cannot simply be attributed to a bunch of old married men dragging it down. Anyone I saw stopped at the side, was back in the column in 5 minutes.

The event overall was very rewarding for me. I had a lot of emotions tied to this one and was honored to be part of it. In contrast to the many seasoned campaigners here, I have no FUBU events to compare it to. But at no time during the weekend did I question what the heck was going on, why was I here, etc. In fact we were an hour into Tennessee on Sunday before Mr. Minton shared with us about the troubles on Saturday. We had no clue in the ranks and we were better for it. My compliments to the officers and NCO's in third company for their leadership there. My hats off to Mr. Coats and team who made it all come together.

Thanks to Captain Bevard and the boys from the state up north for allowing us to be part of the team. It was a pleasant moment indeed to see the full company standing there for roll call on Sunday morning. Yo!

And, we lost no Minton's this time....

Joshua Mann
                  121st Oh. Vol./Army of the Ohio
                  JOSHUA MANN
                  121st Ohio Vol.
                  Yo Mess

Comment

I laughed, I hurt, but I mostly LIVED THE ADVENTURE... And it felt great.

Singing was fun, but the period moment for me was seeing the CS forces charge at us up the hill toward our works on Sunday. In real life, that made me think what that would have been like 150 years ago.

Far be it from me to criticize what I wasn't asked to organize, so, I will refrain from doing so in any capacity.

Hats off to Brian Hicks, Herb Coats, Joe Blunt, Ricky Bobby, Jordan, Aron the park staff and the rest of the AG gang. Good job to both CS and US commanders too. I was just glad I was able to come to such a fun and worthwhile event. Thanks for everyone for coming too!
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I am still singing Hogeye man. Anybody still working?
                      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

For my first campaigner event, it was a really cool experience. I got to experience the life of an infantry private from 150 years ago! Going to sleep on Friday listening to the boys singing around the campfires was really pleasant. Building the breastworks on Saturday morning was really exciting and reminded me a bit of the Red Badge of Courage when the Federals waited and listened to the on-coming Rebel horde! Listening to the battle draw closer was a realistic experience. Marching up and down hills and fording creeks in full gear, really gave a taste of armies on the march. As for the mistakes in the event, I wouldn't have known, because I was just a private in the ranks and only knew what my company was doing at the time and that is really authentic! That last hill and our immediate action in the Saturday afternoon battle was realistic in the fact that the real troops had to endure forced marches and instant action. Once we skirmishers were pushed back, we withdrew back to camp and rest. I drank a lot of water that weekend! All these experiences made me so much more proud of my ancestors who experienced all this for five years straight!!
                        Stephen Lunsford

Possum Skinners Mess/Tick Creek Troublemakers

150th Pickett's Mill May 2014-5th Kentucky
                        150th Franklin (Carnton Plantation) November 2014-20th Tennessee
                        150th Bentonville, March 2015-10th Iowa
                        Pea Ridge Adjunct, September 2015-24th Missouri
                        Blakeley Living History, April 2016-1st/3rd Missouri CS
                        Picket Post, May 2016, Company C, 9th Tennessee "Creek Bank Mess"
                        Lookout Mountain Living History, June 2017, 31st Iowa "Root Hog or Die"
                        154th Chickamauga Living History, September 2017, Co. C, 23rd Tennessee
                        Battle of Wauhatchie (Aka "Wet-hatchie"), Tennessee, October 27-28, 2017, 78th New York "12th Corps!!!"

Comment

Elements of Cal Kinzer's 24th Missouri combine with Silas Tackitt's Invincibles to form Company A of the 5th Kentucky (Union), in an 80 man battalion led by Joe Blunt, for the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Pickett's Mill, Georgia. Here the company stands tall in the muddy red clay on Hazen's Hill Sunday morning upon conclusion of the battle, after having just assisted the battalion in repulsing several Confederate assaults. The level of professionalism on both sides of the line exemplifies the commitment put forth by the men of our hobby. It was an exhausting and wet weekend, but well worth the trip.

Picketts Mill.jpg
                          Mike Phineas
                          Arlington, TX
                          24th Missouri Infantry
                          Independent Volunteer Battalion
                          www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Gentlemen,

Another event, come and gone. But as a 150th, much was to be expected. I participated in the 2001, 2004,and 2014 events. Sorry, couldn't make the 2008 - what with the whole economy thing and all.
                            Compared to any given reenactment, it was superior. Compared to all Pickett's Mills, it was pretty inferior. Compared to other high speed events, it was, at best, in the middle of the pack.

I like that the battles were right where they historically ought to be. The water was pretty well stationed. The intent was good. The federals were a damned joke and those asshole posers next to us who looked down their long noses at us until it rained.... and they went home, can kiss my butt. Their impressions were spot on, and painstakingly executed, but when they were observed rolling around in the mud "for effect" at registration on Friday, I knew they thought their shit didn't stink. Well, the MEN stuck it out through the event, the WOMEN got hotels and left for home early.

The Confederate ranks suffered a 30% attrition over Saturday night. Really guys? Really? Don't know about the Feds, but what I can say about them is that they did not do the old boys proud in the "corn field". First, let me say that in 2004, THERE WAS CORN in that field. I know, this is all volunteer, but in 2004, that really made an impact, and is for me, a lasting impression. In 2004, the Feds who advanced through that corn, and died there....stayed there. After we chased the rest of them up the hill and engaged them, when we came back to the corn field, THOSE GUYS WERE STILL THERE! We were shocked and the impact was enormous.

This time, the "casualties" got up and trotted off when their side retreated. One even gave us the sign telling us that we were number one. Priceless. One Fed, who gets all the credit for trying to stay in character and not ruin the moment lay in front of the rail fence, as we fired. Kudos, brother. When his comrades resurrected and left the field, a couple of the Poser Company asked him what he was doing there. His reply: "I've been shot, you idiot!" Best comeback I've heard in a while.

Like I stated, this was a "good event", but the lowest on my list of Pickett's Mill events. I hope we raised awareness for the Park, and that we educated some folks. Hopefully, any errors in execution can be reviewed and learned from (like: if you find yourself on the wrong side of a creek, get your feet wet and cross the damn thing).

Maurice Ungaro
                            Blind Pig Mess

Please Note:

Mr. Ungaro, I understand that you are very passionate about your opinions in regards to the event, but please refrain from swearing. Thanks for your cooperation! - Tyler Underwood

Last edited by Eric Tipton; 06-04-2014, 05:21 PM. Reason: Let's stay away from calling specific people out at this point. Your point is left intact.
                            Maurice Ungaro
                            Blind Pig Mess

Comment

Like Jonathan Siltman, I too eagerly awaited coming to this event. Having missed all previous iterations, I was excited to attend this. Overall I had a good time—great, in some instances—and this was in large part to the people with whom I attended.

This event was not for the faint-hearted. Coming to an event such as this requires mental and physical conditioning in preparation for anticipated hardships. However, conditioning is not the same as acclimatization. The weather was hot, but bearable (Saturday was pleasant, actually) and the humidity was a factor, but not oppressive. For Georgia in late May while running around in wool uniforms, it was about as good as we could have asked. Besides, it closely replicated that which is recorded in various accounts of the weather and terrain. If we are all about authenticity, this event met that mark.

As a recommendation, I would like to have had more fluidity in the scenarios and allowing for pickets and patrolling to keep things going. We seemed to go into an all-hands pause after each vignette. Scenarios followed as closely to the real timeline of the battle as possible, however, and it is hard to reset and immediately go into each scenario with the time, space, and distance as factors. The fact that we got three scenarios in on Saturday and one on Sunday is impressive. The night one had to be cancelled due to the rain.

To Mike Ventura’s point, I agree that no one wants to have their time wasted and I can empathize with you and your units’ frustration. It begs the question of why adjustments couldn’t be made to make the event worthwhile for everyone? Did the park drive the timelines for spectators so they would have something to look at, and if so, without reenactors to provide the spectacle, what difference did it make if we started a scenario later than anticipated? We had plenty of time to rest through the day and the expectations that you would be soldiering as they did through burly and thick terrain only to fight a battle (or three!) at the end of it was part of the billing. I agree with Mike Phineas in that sh*t happens. I wish we hadn’t gotten so turned around, but we covered the same distance to make the event work as we would have had we stayed on course. We would have been no less challenged by the terrain and climate in either case.

If park directives were driving the timeline, that would explain a lot of the sitting that occurred waiting for the next scenario. With only 80 guys to put against the Johnnies, husbanding their time and conditioning was necessary.

Ultimately, spectators want to know when the guns go boom (and, morbidly, why people don’t take more hits) and while burning powder is generally low on my list of criteria as to whether an event is good or not, if we were to bring 80 rounds each, then doing so is anticipated. To my mind, the spectators were a direct influence on what could have been an otherwise more realistic environment.

Logistics were good, I thought, with plenty of water and opportunities to rest and eat, etc. This was a no-frills event and very little in the way of amenities. Hard soldiering, that is for sure.

The rain was biblical at times. Wet, we made the most of it. The singing and camaraderie around the fire made it memorable.

Sunday morning was probably the best part. Hearing the bugles through the woods, the movement of troops, shouting commands, and then the gradual engagement of pickets followed by the entire force as we withdrew to our works, and then the fight at the works was a highlight. Old Glory flapping in the stiff breeze was just majestic.

Many thanks to Andrew Jerram for supporting my logistics requirements of getting to and from the airport in a timely manner and his patience on Friday as my journey met one delay after another; I made it home very smoothy as a counterbalance. I enjoyed the weekend serving with the ONV and Bob Minton’s companies. I think we worked well together and I was impressed with the organization of the Federal forces by Joe Blunt and his staff. Special thanks to Herb Coats and his crew for making this event possible.

Planning events is difficult, and making them run smoothly (especially with more “help” than you want from outside entities like the park) is even more so. While it wasn’t perfect, the event was enjoyable and challenging. I would go to this event again and it is good it is conducted infrequently so as to keep things fresh. After being away from the hobby for a long while, I am glad people are still dedicated to doing these types of events. Thank you for letting me be a part of it.
                              Ivan Ingraham
                              AC Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Ventura View Post
                                Patrick -

Good luck getting ANY cav to come out and play at future events. As for me, I'm done!
                                I'm getting in this conversation late and I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm one of the guilty cavalrymen who let real life setbacks keep me from going. But I will say this... If Patrick Landrum puts his name on it, this is one cavalryman who will be there. He and his IRs have their crap squared away and they DO know how to utilize cavalry and utilize it correctly. I won't ever hesitate to fall in under his command, even when he does something to piss me off.
                                Larry Morgan
                                Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Working...
                                X