Pickett's Mill AAR's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickett's Mill AAR's

Gents, I've been away for work in the Tarheel State since Sunday night. Yes, I left the park after clean up with my comrades to go to work.

I'll sift through everything here, and give you my AAR from an event coordinator's perspective later.

BUT! I'd like to thank ALL participants for attending. You all are awesome. The park staff reported record attendance numbers, a good amount of funds were generated for the site, the volunteer funds were maxed out, and in the end they were pleased.

Cavalry, I am deeply sorry that your part in the event was screwed. In the end, I was the head coordinator, and the main action you were to be involved with got scrapped from the original plan. Why the alternate scenario for you that I discussed with the coordinators post 3 pm (Wheatfield) scenario was not implemented is beyond my knowledge. But, that is neither here, nor there. It rests on me. I 100% appreciate your efforts, and I deeply thank the men that assisted in meeting up with the Federal force to get us back on track. The Federals were actually only 20 minutes late getting to our Wheatfield Scenario.

I do not need ANY punches pulled with YOU, the PARTICIPANT'S opinions. I cannot learn from what went poorly, and what went great without YOUR input. I appreciate the Mods here for letting you all speak your mind (mostly, watch the swearing here guys! Those are the forum rules.) You can dog cuss me out in private message, email, phone, or, like a real man, to my face.

I could not control the weather gents. It was a gut check for all of us. If you left early, that was your decision. This is but a hobby. I certainly did not want to go back out into the rain after dropping off guys with medical issues, and checking in with the park ranger Satutday night in the VC, but I did. The men we were portraying didn't have that choice, and we are only out at these events for a weekend. Keep that in mind next time the weather doesn't cooperate.

Yes, I got stuck with a LOT of "rules" that Cleveland, Coley, and Tripp did not have to deal with in the past. The fact that "150th" was attached to this meant I got a LOT of chiefs telling me what I could and could not do..... Hey, we were at a State Park me, we play by their rules no matter how inane we think the rules are.

Finally, I'll say this. I've walked the trails of that park many times over for 17 years. I still cannot believe how different things look when you go down into the ravines, draws, and creek bottoms. The men of both armies had that same issue in 1864.
    Last edited by Coatsy; 06-07-2014, 09:03 AM.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Hazen's moment at Pickett's Mill truly happened...on the near actual ground. You can't pay for that folks.
      Herb...you agreed to create a mountain out of paper mache(how do you make a crazy 'e' on a keyboard?)...whether or not a mountain or mole hill was created (every person will give their own view of mountain, mole hill or somewhere in between...blahblahblah) I want to say thanks for busting your arse and stressing over the last 3 years to get this done. Nothing EVER turns out as planned...EVER.
      I am sorry the Cav didn't get their time in to burn powder, but I AM thankful for the ALWAYS faithful Midnight and Sambo along with their procurers Guy and Mike for leading us out Saturday ... I felt the most empathy for you two Sambo and Midnight!..to us it's a reenactment..to our equine friends it's always real life duty...
      In the end..well, we were only a few hundred yards off...THAT'S IT. We did one more hill than originally planned, but that too, is it. Federal company commanders, NCO's and enlisted to the man..thanks for what you did Saturday afternoon. Welcome to what Hazen's boys really went through 150 years ago to the week. Kind of frustrating isn't it? TO see your leaders SOMEWHAT get lost and then be thrown into a fight? Only this time we all got to go home instead of burying each other..then getting dug up and relocated to a cemetery still hundreds or thousands of miles away from home.
      The federals looked GREAT from my view ..from the front to back..I was running front to back all Saturday..You guys were committed and made it through the day. My water logged, misshaped hardee is off to every one of you to the man including the two that I helped evac after the first fight saturday morning. I spent a lot of time near the head of the column near 1st company. Mr. Fred Baker, I don't know if you frequent this forum or not (as I rarely do these days), but your knowledge, dialect and first person adherence ALWAYS puts mine and many others' to shame. Thanks for the 19th century 'reminders' and the vittles and water when I was dry from sharing with others throughout the battalion.
      Herb, I know (to a degree) what went in to this, your feelings on Saturday as we Hazen'd our way up and down the hill to and fro the creek and back as well as the set up, logistics and oft forgotten clean up of a decent size event...not to mention you were due in to another state for work by the following morning. All I can say is thank you. TO Robert, RickyJownezz, Adam, Andrew J, Joe B, Joe K, Jordan, and to those I unintentionally leave out, thanks for doing your part and then some!
      That said, I had to evac Saturday night. As some of you know I had torn dam* near every ligament on my left foot in a running incident the Monday before PM but was determined to follow through after looking forward to this event since the "dry run" two years ago at the park. By Saturday night it had swollen to the point that the boot had to be forcefully removed by a friend and I ended up having a minor procedure done Monday morning to repair tendons...blah blah BLAHHHHHH...also got drilled by 3 scorpions back to back to back within a 15 minute period Saturday to let me know it was time to roll (If we are facebook friends or "real" friends you've seen the pics of both...)...but I had to scoot.

ALL that aside, thanks to those who spent years putting this together and to every single one of you to a man who showed up to experience a TEENY TINY piece of what those boys on both sides went through in the disgustingly humid, muddy and hot Dallas, Kennesaw and Atlanta campaigns of spring and summer of 1864.
      CHeers.
      Aron Price
      AG

Comment

Aron, just post that photo of your foot and scorpion stings here.
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Yo! A-a-ron, Did your foot fall off yet?
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

9296B819-5472-4134-941F-E9884391287E_zpscrlsxtly.jpg

1 Broken Left pinky toe and many ligaments that threw in the towel later it turned this color

- - - Updated - - -

Scorpion Tail: 3
            Aron: 0

cc3edd21-13a4-485d-bec1-062d2278f9fb_zps1413c2b1.jpg
            Aron Price
            AG

Comment

Too bad there were a few real casualties. Even so, I must say this was an excellent event for many reasons, including a beautiful original battlefield, an excellent company, outstanding leadership at the company and battalion level, a great job by Herb and his team, and last but certainly not least a great time with pards. Wish I could do it again.
              Brian Chastain
              Breckinridge Greys
              Independent Rifles
              WIG

breckinridgegreys.org

Comment

I have decided to speak on behalf of the cavalry that was present at the 150th Pickett's Mill. Seven were present from my unit. I was registered, but seriously injured my back, and could not be there.. But I have talked to some who were present. The 53rd Alabama, which was part of Kelly's Division, played a major part in the original Battle of Pickett's Mill. In 2007, I published a book on this unit. Kelly's Division withstood several Federal charges on the right flank. When they were finally replaced on the right flank, after suffering numerous casualties, Granbury's Confederate infantry brigade hollered, "Hurrah for the cavalry!" When have you ever heard of that? As the 53rd was leaving the line, their commanding officer realized the Federals were heading for the gap created by the brigade (Granbury's) that was replacing them. He immediately plugged them in the hole, so they did leave the fight, as ordered by Gen. Cleburne. This is the cavalry unit the cavalry for the 150thy was replacing. The men portraying cavalry had worked hard to get ready for the event in every way and at least 4 of them were descendants of the unit they were portraying. . Also, hauling horses is not a cheap endeavor. To go to an event of this type, with so much pre=event hype, and sit and wait for an attack , on the actual spot where the 53rd fought, and the infantry never comes, is an extreme disappointment.. And, then to be told they were "not needed" for the rest of the event, after never firing a shot, is just downright disgusting. and shameful. They were correct in every way, and ready to do their job. My question is why couldn't adjustments be made to make sure they were not left out of the fighting. Why couldn't the command staff have not had the cavalry come to the infantry, although it may not have been accurate to the original battle? But, the infantry not attacking the cavalry at the actual spot wasn't either. An army consists of 3 branches, and none should be left out, as long as they have gone to the time of expense of being crect. An actual battle takes all branches. It's going to take authentic cavalry men awhile to again trust that they won't be left out in the future. In the future, lets strive to not leave out any branch that is correct

Bob McLendon
                Phillips Legion Cavalry
                Colonel of Cavalry, Seymour's Division.
                Last edited by 53ala; 06-13-2014, 09:22 PM.
                Bob McClendon

Comment

The Feds were roughly 15 minutes late. That's it. Not sure why the Cavalry wasn't involved. That's "above my paygrade"...but if you're referring to the Saturday action the first portion of the Federals arrived on the scene within half an hour of the original designated time and the reinforcements arrived within a half hour of that.
                  Cheers
                  Aron Price
                  AG

Comment

As I mentioned in my above post, the cavalry was supposed to engaged on Saturday on the actual spot where they were involved in 1864. The cavalry played a major part in holding the flank to the right of Cleburne. Sometimes cavalry is criticized for not following the scenario, but this time they stayed where they were assigned in order to be historically accurate.......and nobody came. They had no orders to join the fight at another location, but since nobody was going to follow the original plan, for whatever reason, the cavalry should have received orders from the command staff above them to mount up and join another fight.....instead they were told they weren't needed. The cavalry never fired a shot all weekend. This doesn't need to happen in future evenst, and we need to work together to see it doesn't.

Bob McLendon
                    Phillips Legion Cavalry
                    Bob McClendon

Comment

Working...
                    X