Overland Campaign/Petersburg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overland Campaign/Petersburg?

Are there going to be any battles for these events? Trench Warfare Occupied a lot of the armies from 1863 on so I feel that there should be an event to portray it.
    Sam Levit

Re: Overland Campaign/Petersburg?

True, I believe that this area should be covered extensively. I have not heard of any battle reenactments yet but I will be looking.
    Anthony Burzinski
    [B]"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."[/B]

Second WI Volunteer infantry
    Co. K
    [url]http://companyk2ndwi.org/[/url]

Comment

I replied to Sam on another forum, but I figured I'd mention this here, too, for other readers.

While this isn't a battle reenactment, the Liberty Rifles will be hosting a large living history at Petersburg Battlefield on June 14-15, 2014 to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery's fateful charge. All like-minded friends will be welcome to attend and can sign up for one of the three companies being formed and commanded by some of the best officers in the hobby. Watch the Liberty Rifles website for more information later this summer.

And to answer everyone's first question: no, Heavy Arty frocks are not required, sack coats are OK per written documentation! :)
      Paul Boccadoro
      Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

NPS is already planning for the 150th anniversary of Cold Harbor next year. We just had brand new exhibits installed in the visitor center and they look great!

Chesterfield County is also planning on holding a Bermuda Hundred Campaign 1864 trench warfare-style of reenactment/LH and there is a Facebook page.

J.
        Jason C. Spellman
        Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Portraying the 146th NY at the Wilderness is still on my Civil War bucket list.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

All of these events sound great! I wish that there was a larger event that could accommodate a larger amount of reenactors.
            Sam Levit

Comment

You know, Bob, you're more likely to fight ticks in Jawja next June than crossing Saunders Field that May.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I would like to have info on Heavies Livijg history at Petersburg .
                Rod Miller
                [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

146th N.Y. campaigner company at Wilderness LH: https://www.facebook.com/events/520865771298653/

I have already spoken with two of their park rangers, and it's a little too early to get event specifics but they are very welcoming to having us there.
                  Jason C. Spellman
                  Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Thanks Jason!
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Anyone here is more than welcome, cuz a true 146th kit ain't easy!

More the merrier I say, plus, who doesn't want to look cool with a sizable zouave contingent?
                      Jason C. Spellman
                      Skillygalee Mess

Comment

Thanks guys. All of these are great events. I am looking into doing these next year to see if they are possible. I still hope that one day there will be a large scale event for something the likes of Petersburg.
                        Sam Levit

Comment

That would be a great event to attend Jason. Still, I am wondering if people know some ww1 reenactors as they have practice at setting up trench warfare events. Though I do not know if they are big, it would still be a great way to get more information on how to get a trench warfare event to happen.
                          Sam Levit

Comment

There is a group in Newville PA that has built a WWI battlefield with opposing trenches, www.great-war-assoc.org maybe they would be a resource
                            Bob Manzo
                            Formerly of the 12th VA Inf Co G "Richmond Grays"

Comment

Can anyone get me in contact with someone doing the Bermuda Hundred event? I went to the Facebook page but really couldn't find anything.
                              Michael Perrin

Comment

Working...
                              X