Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentonville Event - Any word on possible planning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentonville Event - Any word on possible planning?

Exactly. A march of considerable distance would be a great lead in the event!
    Sam Lowe
    Sally Port Mess
    Western Rifles

Aut Viam invenium aut faciam

Comment

Fellows,

Well I have received a few emails and sounds like there is a growing interest. I have contacted Matt, Pat and Skip to see if they wish to reprise their command roles. So we will see what we have.
      A march sounds great and with fellows who are so close to the battlefield, they can scout out good routes that would follow close to the march of the 15th.
      matt told me in April that he'd like to see something like this happen and what a fitting end to the 150s. Not to mention another big "thank you " for all those that organized and participated at Shiloh and kept history going.
      Joe Blunt
      "...don't rush the judgement, until all the facts are in."

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, Joe, modern routes and land permitting. Again, I will head up there this fall and do some recce. Any local guys who want to coordinate researching and/or join me for a few visits in the coming months just let me know.
        Ivan Ingraham
        AC Moderator

Comment

Since I had to miss the Landing I would like to make this one. Planning two years in advance is a GOOD thing! As I did with the Landing I can help with the uniform guidelines. Anything research that is needed I can do. I live less than two miles from the State Historical Society of Iowa.
          Nathan Hellwig
          AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

The enthusiasm for this is incredible! Defintely a distance, perhaps multi-day, march into the fight for consideration. There are currently some boots on the ground in NC near the site and some more coming through personal moves.

With the the out of the box thinking so far, a revival of the paddlewheeler crew and for those who regretably missed it, will make this an grand time!
            Thomas Steele
            Sally Port Mess
            Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
            Old Northwest Volunteers

Marmadukes Raid II
            BGA Gettysburg - 24th Mich, Co. F
            Fort Sanders - 20th Mich

Comment

We're all in. I will talk to the majority of the Iowa players this weekend at a local event. I am sure I don't even have to ask.
              V/R
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Any idea on a timeframe? I know one "surrender" EBUFU and one adjunct in late April of 2015? Would love to hit them all.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

My first event was a march at Bentonville--135th? (doing Federal ) We started out of Ben Tarts farm and marched into the event. Lots of wet ground.
                  Dirk Behana
                  26th North Carolina
                  Shocker Mess, Hedgesville Blues
                  C.W.T.
                  Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site
                  King Solomon's Lodge #346 F.&A.M.
                  Pioneer Lodge of Ohio (Reenactor Masonic Lodge)

Comment

Getting Company C back together isn't going to be a problem at all. I was hoping to make Bentonville anyways, but this cements it.
                    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Pat reminds us that, just as the 125th, there will be a big Sayler's Creek/Appomattox event I am guessing, so this will be a busy 30 days.

If we really want to raise the bar - imagine a battle bookend Carolina 4-5 day marching event - i.e., fight Averasboro, two days of marching/skirmishing then end at Bentonville, it would be something we talk about till...well, the 175th. Call it BGR in North Carolina.
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

The event will be March 21 & 22, 2015. More event details will be up online in October! Stay tuned for a great 150th event!!
                        Amanda Brantley

Carolina Citizens
                        http://19thcenturycookery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey guys!!
                          The event will be March 21 & 22 2015! We look forward to a great 150th event!!
                          Amanda Brantley

Carolina Citizens
                          http://19thcenturycookery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pat,

The event is generally in March and having attended it and Saylers Creek in the same year I know it doesn't interfere. The event organizers want max participation, too, and it will likely be the only game in town that time of year. With the amount of interest already generating, this could be really great.
                            Ivan Ingraham
                            AC Moderator

Comment

The 135th Bentonville preservation march from Ben Tarts farm is a fond memory of mine. I'm sure we'd get a group of Illinois boys out for something like that.
                              Scott Sheets
                              Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
                              Dirty Shirts

Comment

Nathan,

Thanks for the offer on the IHS! They have some great stuff--their battle flag collection is unreal. If there is a schematic of the routes used by various Iowa units in and around Bentonville, those would help with planning and recce of routes and selection. Maps and battlefield sketches would be prime material to overlay over current maps and imagery to get it as close to correct as possible.

Oddly, with so many members of my family having served in Iowa units in the war, I have never portrayed an Iowa soldier in the many years I have reenacted. Off to read Cyrus Boyd's journal again!
                                Ivan Ingraham
                                AC Moderator

Comment

Working...
                                X