This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Review

This may be opening a can of worms, but is there anything being done/coordinated/ideas thrown around about the Grand Review in 2015?
    Aaron Rowland
    Prodigal Son ~ Corn Fed Comrade
    Petersburg National Battlefield

"It was the saddest affair I have witnessed in war." ~ U.S. Grant, Battle of the Crater

Re: Grand Review

I am interested in finding out about this too. Just a friendly bump.
    Sam Levit

Comment

We actually had a discussion on this in great length via my Facebook page. To sum it up, there are some big conflicting issues 1. The date would conflict with the the National Memorial Day parade, so the idea was thrown around about coordinating with the city to have it be part of that parade 2. The expenses to have a Grand Review/Parade would be too great (again due to the timing and staffing) 3. That's A LOT of guns which would mean staffing to ensure that every weapon is rendered inert. 4. Where would we host the living history aspect?

These are just some of the things we discussed. Unless it were part of the National Memorial Day parade, I just don't think it would be feasible. I could be wrong, but this is just my 2 cents. I am open for discussion on the matter and welcome input from others.
      Aaron Rowland

"It was the saddest affair I have witnessed in war." ~ U.S. Grant, Battle of the Crater

Comment

From a political perspective, it will be difficult to do anything other than a Federal Only Grand Review.

[and from a historical perspective, it would be incorrect to do anything other than Federal Only.]

Bringing that many firearms into D.C. would also be nigh impossible.
        Last edited by JustRob; 04-30-2013, 01:59 PM.
        Robert Carter
        69th NYSV, Co. A
        justrobnj@gmail.com
        www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

From an historical perspective, it would be impossible to do anything BUT a Federal-only Grand Review. The Reunification dogma didn't kick in for a decade or so. Johnnies can watch from the sidewalk.
          Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
          My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

From historical point of view it should be difficult to do anything other than Federal.
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

It should be a federal only event if we are to do this right. If it isn't on the same day as the actual event oh well, the BGA Gettysburg isn't on the same dates anyway. Regardless it would be a great event to have because of its uniqueness.
              Sam Levit

Comment

You don't get to do the anniversary of the solitary, Confederate only review in Washington City until we reach June, 2017. That would be the 100th anniversary of the UCV/SCV's big reunion. Coverage of the review and pre-event hype galore can be found in Confederate Veteran magazines covering the spring and summer of 1917. Somehow, I just don't see a Confederate only review happening again.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I don't recall anyone in the FB discussion or here stating that it should be anything other than Federal, it's a 150th of the Grand Review.
                  Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                  Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                  Former Mudsill
                  Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Well, I live in Washington City so if anyone is up to the task of getting this ball rolling, please let me know how I can be of assistance.
                    Aaron Rowland

Comment

Can you imagine the Living History Camp / Sea of Tents on the National Mall. It would be Glorious.

-John Coldiron
                      2nd US Cavalry Co. A / 9th VA Cavalry Co. D

Comment

Originally posted by ZsDad View Post
                        Can you imagine the Living History Camp / Sea of Tents on the National Mall. It would be Glorious.

-John Coldiron
                        2nd US Cavalry Co. A / 9th VA Cavalry Co. D
                        www.secondcavalry.org
                        It would be a sight for the ages. A reenactment of the Grand Review would be something people would be loath to forget.
                        Robert Pardi
                        71st PVI, Co. K

Comment

We did a reenactment of the Grand Review for the 125th series. No one camped in DC (not to my knowledge anyway) but everyone gathered, formed up, and marched that day only. I was 16 and marched with the 5th NY Zouaves under Brian Pohanka. You won't be able to pick me out in this photo as I am in the rear rank just left of center, but this picture sure brings back memories.

5th NY 125th Grand Review.jpg
                          Chris Bopp

Comment

Now that we have precedent it would be great if that could be done again.
                            Sam Levit

Comment

I happened to notice this thread languishing, when I came over to this folder to peruse that Wyoming event coming up next summer......

( Hoping the link works, if not, then your Facebook search should start with 150th Grand Review. A large mainstream organization seems to have started a ball rolling some time ago, and the September 13 posting gives a few more particulars about this all Federal event. )
                              Terre Hood Biederman
                              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
                              X