Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you motivate others or improve the hobby?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why cant we form 100 man companies?

I support the comments of Chris Daley... There are some influential elitists out there, and it tends to make the rest of us, who are just trying to progress; look like the classic bunch of "snobs in the woods". I've seen several fellas that talk a big game over the internet and don't back it up!
    Again, another perpetuation of the "mean ol hardcore" when the actual truth is that we do encourage and invite good people to attend campaigner-progressive events. Yes, we really want the numbers.

I would have never saw the light if it wasn't for a few c/p/h guys coming to our local farb-fest down here in FL, and setting up shop in the midst of our tent city. Looking at these guys, you knew they had their s%&t together, and I finally had the courage to start talking to these dudes!! A couple years later, I have never looked back.
    So there are some good c/p/h guys? Who would've thought? By reading your first post about "influential eltists". it would seem to me, they aren't really that influential or else nobody from the mainstream would ever make to the Ebufu side. The elitists would just have to clone themselves for additional troops.

Here is my final word on it. Cease fire. There is no secret sect of hardcore elitists stopping you from attending an Ebufu event. No hardcore Illuminati or Secret Council of 12. Just ask to attend. The only thing that is stopping people is this ridiculous hardcore Illuminati myth. No I really think it serves a purpose, that keeps mainstream reenactors neatly in place. The same type of story you would tell a two year old to keep them from leaving the backyard. If you meet the events basic gear standards and if you can leave the modern camp equipment behind, I don't think there will be any problems.

In regards to 100 man companies, I would like to see 1,000 men regiments on a regular basis, but as long as the bogey man hardcore myth persists, those number will stay solidly in the "tent city." As for being "snobs in the woods", try this, go over and visit the campaigners some time. Most just want to camp with the people they know, but I guarantee that they would welcome a friendly visit.

I would like to see the mainstreamers that visit this forum, support our ideas and stop the bashing, in return, we will extend the same courtesy to their reenacting styles and their events, and the opportunity to attend Ebufu events will always be there.
    Last edited by SCTiger; 11-01-2007, 11:23 PM. Reason: killed a word
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

"I" would like to see the mainstreamers that visit this forum, support "OUR" ideas and stop the bashing, in return, "WE" will extend the same courtesy to their reenacting styles and their events, and the opportunity to attend Ebufu events will always be there.

Has the National Organization kicked in ? What if a roque group breaks off and won't extend courtesy ? :)
      A version of this is somewhat why the evil hardcore myth flourishes, folks read something posted on the Internet that offends them and then attack whatever faction they think that person represents. Instead of thinking Joe Hardkewl is a jerk it's all campaigners or all mainstreamers, et al.
      Last edited by john duffer; 11-02-2007, 06:02 AM.
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

I hope that my post was not read as one who sees campaigners as 'mean nasty' folks. I've never really seen that except for one time, and he was a jerk regardless.
        Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
        Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
        Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

First of all, I am not a mainstreamer, and I am in no ways bashing our side of the hobby. I think that we should be more calculated in the ways we go about aquiring new recruits for our side = the only shot we have a growing our ranks!!! WE have to show these people the "light" in person not over the internet!! A blind man should be able to see this!

Greg,

Sir, you have misunderstood me... The point I made was that the attitude that mainstream events hurt our side of the hobby is totally flase! Now, they may not be as cool or fun, but we need to have a contingent of good reenactors at some of these MEGA-EVENTS!!! That will be the only way we can recruit and get these fellas out to our kind of EBUFU.

The best way to get a new progressive pard is to put ourselves infront these mainstream guys who are on the fence. Nobody is going to do it themsleves by asking if they can come to one of our secluded bad a*s EBUFU... They will just stay with thier sub-par units and wish that they had a better group to mess with.

We should have battalions at some of these mega-events so the masses can see the way that it should be done. If they never see us, the whole elitist myth will continue, that we are a bunch of stitch counters in the woods!!!! Its that simple!

We can't expect these people to go looking for our EBUFU on the internet and sign up and make the trip if they DON'T KNOW A SINGLE PERSON OR GROUP associated with said event! People fear what they don't know, and that is why we are seen as snobs sometimes. You have to be a freaking salesperson, and the best salespeople get out there and shake the bushes and gain rapport with prospects! If you wait on your arse for the business, you'll be out of a job or just plain broke!

By the way I am no longer involved in the mainstream side, my previous post was to show how the "farb on the fence" looks at our side of things. I believe you were with the 89th Company C at Outpost, I was in 1st platoon!

Kindest Regards,
          Eliot Toscano

The Buckras
          SCAR
          SRR
          Last edited by PvtShot; 11-02-2007, 09:25 AM.
          Regards,
          Eliot Toscano
          Independent Brute
          Putting on no style...

"Six children from the local village appeared wearing [U][B]fallacious accoutrements & reprehensible baggage [/B][/U]and thought they would put a sham battle on for our amusement. We laughed so hard at their imitation of soldiers that our sides were hurting for hours."
          A.R. Crawford in the 76th Illinois Infantry, Co D - April 1863 - The origin of FARB

Comment

Originally posted by PvtShot View Post
            A blind man should be able to see this!
            You wouldn't happen to be quoting Trimble from the movie Gettysburg would you?

Anyway, I agree with you PvtShot in that we need to keep on going to mainstream events or else us campainers, hardcores, &c. will always appear separate and up in an ivory tower of sorts. As far as I have seen, several units have either dissapeared or only have a handful of members left because they don't know how to recruit.
            As PR for my group here on Gettysburg Campus, I am working right now on doing all that I can to promote my group, though I am at a disadvantage because I am only limited to the Campus population. But I employ numerous things, from making sure we have events on campus in general view of people on campus (hosting a Civil War era Baseball Game in the middle of campus is a good way to do that), to making posters to attract people to events we are doing or to just recruit, and numerous things like that.
            To me, marketing/promotion has always been the curse of Civil War reenacting, there isn't enough! To some extent, mainstream events do better promotion, and attract more people, and we want to be where the people are to find those good new recruits.
            One example that always comes to mind is in the book Confederates in the Attic in which a confederate hardcore unit goes to a mainstream event doing the Wilderness and the hardcore unit seems to actually use these events as good opportunities to find potential new recruits.
            Also, I enjoy being able to interact and teach the spectating public, which shows up more often at these mainstream events.
            David Fictum,
            Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
            recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Comment

• Re: Why cant we all just get along?

Taking the thread in "off topic" (per se) were:
              we need to keep on going to mainstream events or else us campainers, hardcores, &c. will always appear separate and up in an ivory tower of sorts
              and
              WE have to show these people the "light" in person
              I see it's that time again.

*sigh*

Feel free to attend whatever events you wish to. I will enjoy the same priviledge. Meanwhile, in between my ever more spread out events I will wear my worn out "been there, done that" t-shirt with hubris to cover the scars.

Thanks for the opportunity to share. Now back to the first step and 100-man companies, and hope to see all y'all at PM'08.
              [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

Hi.
                I have a question. Just what do you mean by mainstream, progressive, campaigner and hardcore. Also what does EBUFU stand for? I do not mean to come off as an idiot, just want to know which label I fit into. I know that it is not to the level that many of you on here are, but I do try and constantly improve. I am from Mn., so that might be part of the problem. We are quite removed from what most of you seemed to be exposed to.
                Thanks.
                William Feuchtenberger
                Co. H
                1st South Carollina Volunteers (Maxey Gregg's Brigade)

Comment

This should point you in the right direction mnreb:

David Fictum,
                  Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
                  recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Comment

You wouldn't happen to be quoting Trimble from the movie Gettysburg would you?
                    Indeed sir! Indeed!:)

Kindest Regards,
                    Eliot Toscano

The Buckras
                    SCAR
                    SRR
                    Regards,
                    Eliot Toscano
                    Independent Brute
                    Putting on no style...

"Six children from the local village appeared wearing [U][B]fallacious accoutrements & reprehensible baggage [/B][/U]and thought they would put a sham battle on for our amusement. We laughed so hard at their imitation of soldiers that our sides were hurting for hours."
                    A.R. Crawford in the 76th Illinois Infantry, Co D - April 1863 - The origin of FARB

Comment

Working...
                    X