X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1860s Weight Watcher: Yes or No?

Gents only-

No poll under the search engine for this subject...So...

Okay, time for another fun "poll question" by me after having though on this one for awhile:

Question: Do you intentionally watch your weight based-upon your own research for your impression?

Tell us why you voted the way you did...

Be honest- yes or no.

Now, I know..."Weight watching is for women-folk..." will be the attitude for most men out there, but with the "battle of the bulge" being lost by more than German WW2 reenactors these days, your uniform getting tighter, and not to mention it was (based upon research done by many of period photographs as well as you and I knowing it was a very physical job) highly uncommon for overweight men to be in the Army back then... therefore...

... Do you intentionally watch your weight to keep a more-solderly looking appearance for your impression?

I'm not ashamed to admit it... I do. I'm not obsessive about it, but I am conscious about what I put into my (albeit small) gut, not just for health reasons, but so I keep a modicum of weight gain just for my impression. For me, health just happens to go in-hand with my impression on this one.

There, I said it. I hain't ashamed... dag-gumit... :wink_smil

Yes or no? No fence-sitting on this issue...

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd

PS- I suppose ladies can answer this, but the question is kinda different when posed to a guy... :D

PPS- All opinions are valid for those that feel them and others that might agree. ;)
    Yes
    40.16%
    No
    59.84%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 01-31-2008, 11:42 PM. Reason: PS- "Do these Richmond Depot pants make my rear look big?" LOL
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: 1860s Weight Watcher: Yes or No?

No.

But I am mindful of my weight. In fact, I have lost weight since I retired from the Marine Corps. Four years ago, when I started my new life, I weighed 184. Now I average 165-168. Not too bad for someone who stands 5'11".

While I don't think I need to lose any more weight, I would like to trade a little fat for muscle, particular around the mid section.

Regarding my Living History impressions... if anything, it's my white hair that I know is out of place, not the size of my waist line :D, but I'm just not that vain anymore that I color my hair.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
      Okay, time for another fun "poll question" by me after having though on this one for awhile:

Question: Do you intentionally watch your weight based-upon your own research for your impression?

Tell us why you voted the way you did...
      John, I've never had the pleasure to meet you and my apologies if my tone is overly critical, but you got me to bite...

What can posssibly be 'fun' about dealing with your weight, whether too much or not enough?

I answered No to your poll. Like Mr. Hicks, I served in the Marines and am glad to say I still do in the reserve occasionally and daily as a Government Contractor. I've had to fight the perception and reality of 'fat' for the pleasure to serve my country. Only twice in my service have I been under 200 pounds, once at Boot Camp and again at OCS.

I've generally ignored the carrying on about how your weight can or cannot make you a more authentic reenactor. Frankly, I consider most of it and this poll narcisistic self congratulations. I'm happy for those who can stay within some ideal of weight whether it comes from the Center for Disease Control or Civil War Enlistment Records.

Myself on the other hand, I'm going to drink a beer or two when I can and not worry about how authentic my appearance is. I'll be standing in line after we charge up the hill...

Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Sir-

To the above... No, it's definitely fair enough and not taken critically. All opinions are valid for the individual that said them.

I too was in the Army and in Iraq for 14 months until recently and know that soldering is a very physical job.

But I do have it cross my mind sometimes as if I'll have to afford another pair of trousers if I swill another beer. Ever since I got out, I'm slowly gaining weight. :D

Yep, correct... it isn't a "fun" thing to deal with the weight, but it is just fun to deal with the idea/question for a second: "Do you think twice about possibly ruining your impression when you eat that donut?" :D

Many people argue against "fat farb" as not very period, but does the individual actually practice it, I wonder, amid others? CAN we do so unless we have a physical job anyway these days? I work behind a desk- not much excercise there on a daily basis and the gym can only burn so much.

Plus, my wife says to me about dinner... "I made it, so you'll eat it." even when I'm not hungry. Ha... ;)

You are right as far as it is a personal choice...

Not to foster ill thoughts in your mind, but it is a very interesting question-even for me personally. No narciscissim for me here- just economics/health/designs for a better impression in that order of importance for me... ;) (Laugh.)

All is fair here. I hear you loud and clear. Save me a beer... -Johnny
        Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 01-31-2008, 11:13 PM.
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hallo!

Herr Johnny...
          I am not exactly sure where (or why) you want to go on this one?

Roughly 67% of modern Americans are overweight, 33% medically obese.
          Labor-saving devices and labor concepts since the 20th century have given us "leisure time" to have hobbies.
          Medical science has given us studies that show that being overweight can be a contributing factor for disease such as hypertension, stroke, and diabetes.
          Without opening that disucssion, "we" tend to be/are larger and heavier, (and older) than our Civl War counter-parts.
          Etc., etc.

Is your survey intending to ask do "we" watch (read as: control) our weight soley to keep our physical selves within the accepted range of men and women in the Civil War era?

Or subscribe as part of our Mental Pictures to the "Campaigners' Manifesto's"

9. I maintain myself in a physical condition that allows me to portray Civil War soldiers with realism. I keep my weight at a level that honestly represents men living on period soldier food and performing period soldier duties. I am able to walk distances and perform chores required of me while depicting soldier life. I am willing to accept standards of personal hygiene and grooming consistent with soldier life in the field during the Civil War.

???

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Is your survey intending to ask do "we" watch (read as: control) our weight soley to keep our physical selves within the accepted range of men and women in the Civil War era? -Curt

Yes. More clearly: Is it a conscious thing for the individual to watch their weight only for their impression? Totally an opinion and all opinions are fair on this one. For me, it is "yes, at least a bit". Health reasons are more important, but I do I think about my own weight-gain in regard to impression... albeit somewhat bashfully admitted. ;)

For the record, I'm 5'9" and 183 lbs... Not big, but not skinny either...

Thanks -Johnny
            Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 01-31-2008, 11:35 PM.
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I voted yes. Though come to think of it, it's not a pure yes. I wouldn't gain weight to portray a historically fat person. :)

I don't try to stay fit solely for living history, since it's obviously for all the other benefits too--health, ability to do things, appearance in daily life. But it helps to have a specific deadline to lose or maintain weight, and reenactments are nice for that. I was my fattest at 169 pounds in 2000, knew I'd be portraying a laborer several times that year, and decided it would improve my impression as well as my health and appearance to lose weight, so got down to about 145. I've stayed around there ever since.

My lowest adult weight was at Immortal 600 when I portrayed Fitz, a dying opium addict on starvation rations. No question about the appropriate body-type for that portrayal! I wondered if I'd feel and look better at a slightly lower weight, so got down to 135, decided I felt a little too thin, and have gone back to staying in the 140-145 weight range ever since.

Since this is the Authentic Campaigner forum, where you supposedly don't have to be ashamed of putting effort into your impression, I see no harm in a little enjoyable "narcisistic self congratulations" on this topic, if that's what this poll is, or any similar topic, whether it's memorizing bugle calls, practicing the finer points of drill, or whatever. I admire all the dedication and effort that people post about here, even though I know I'll never have the desire or ability to do what they do in so many areas that other specialize in.

Hank Trent
              hanktrent@voyager.net
              Hank Trent

Comment

crash diets<3
                Patrick Rooney

Comment

But it helps to have a specific deadline to lose or maintain weight, and reenactments are nice for that.-Hank Trent

Hank-
                  Your wisdom never ceases to amaze me here from what you have written before, sir... in your view being a hobbyist can be a positive incentive to lose weight and/or keep weight off once lost? Truly never thought of that concept in regards to the hobby... Darn good point.

The "Reenactor Diet"??? Probably better than Bowflex... ;)

Thanks- Johnny
                  Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 01-31-2008, 11:47 PM.
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Curt and Patrick,
                    I agree and disagree with your statements about the percentage of Americans being overweight and the support of crash diets.

Coming from my school's Physical Education department, whoever looks at the BMI, body mass index, needs to realize that the scale is grossly under-representative to athletic men and women, which is what is used by numerous studies to make the claim of our fatness. I do agree that we do have an epidemic, and I see firsthand of the large "cattle" roaming my school's campus.

Example: A 6'2 230 lb. male would be considered overweight by the BMI standards, but that's a prime weight to play collegiate football at an LB or even RB position.

What people need to do is get to a healthy weight level through fitness and diet, not starving yourself. You will gain the weight immediately because your fat stores are the hardest to break down for energy and you lose water weight, which IS NOT GOOD, especially going into an event.

I'm surprised that I finally get to chime in for once with my nearly completed degree!

P.S. For parents who read this, please do not expect your physical educators to whip your kids into shape if you feed your kids garbage at home. It's impossible, and I guarantee who will win -and it's not the P.E. teachers! We will give your children the lessons needed to live a healthy and active lifestyle through exercise and diet, but you have to be role models yourself and allow your kids to be active in physically demanding activities.

OK, back to whatever this discussion is about.
                    Mark Krausz
                    William L. Campbell
                    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                    Old Northwest Volunteers
                    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Slow night?
                      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh View Post
                        Slow night?
                        Must be the start of February.
                        Mark Krausz
                        William L. Campbell
                        Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                        Old Northwest Volunteers
                        Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

I'm still active duty Army. Uncle Sam ensures that I remain active and in good physical shape. I don't watch my wieght based on any impression. I do cringe when I see that 300 lb art'y soldier at a main stream event. While I applaud his efforts for being there I know physically, he's a train wreck waiting to happen. With the PC of todays world nothing will be said to make him feel self conscious. Lord he may become depressed any eat himself into the grave. Word! He's already there. I know my own weight for reenacting is to big, I'm 6' nothing and 205. I meet the Army standard by tape and not table. (Table weight is 203 lbs for my height) My body fat percentage is plenty low. 16 1/4" neck, 46" chest and 38" waist. For any who care to compute it. I haven't seen 165 lbs since I left for basic training. I wore a size 28/36 jeans then and a 40" chest. I was lanky to say the least then. Basic and AIT added 20 lbs.

As others have already stated people need to be healthy by todays standards and not the 1860 standards. I'll delve into the world of 1860 diet and hygeine for a weekend, but I know I'll never meet the 1860 hieght/weight average. Oh well life goes on!
                          [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                          Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                          [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                          Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                          Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                          The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I do watch my weight and the reason is the hobby. Now, that being said, I don't stress or fret over my weight. It is said that you are more likely to continue working out if you have a purpose, not just a goal. Meaning, if you are only trying ot fit into that pair of pants or that dress (if you are a woman) then you will only work out until you wear your clothes. I keep in mind what a solider should have looked like and when I work out I try to think of soldiering during the Civil War. For example, my daughter's weight about 23 pounds. I put her in a baby backpack and I'll walk around my nighborhood for a couple miles. I try to keep a soldier's knapsack in mind while doing this. When I eat, I try to think of foods that would have most likely been consumed during the time period (not just a soldier) therefore making my diet a little more healthy.

Now, all this has really changed my life but I don't think I'll ever get down to the 165-185 pounds that a soldier would have been if they were 6'4" and I'm not going to overly worry about it. I will also add that when, at an event, the scenario calls for some "over exhertion" that I can always handle it and even look forward to it!!
                            [I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Matt Kraybill[/FONT][/I]
                            [B][SIZE="5"]61st Regiment
                            New York Volunteers[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

I am 6'2" and weigh around 235 in the summer. Right now I'm bloated up to about 252. I acknowledge that is larger than average for 1865, but not unheard of. I have been this size since I was 15. I've tired many times to loose weight, for my impression and other reasons. I made it down to 225 once. I am just a big guy. They existed in 1862-5. Up until I had to have a hip replaced in 2000, my size never kept me from making a march or performing the duties of a soldier in the field.
                              I see that as being the issue. Are you just a big guy, or are you too obese to perform the duties of a soldier ?
                              Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                              Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Working...
                              X