This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1860s Weight Watcher: Yes or No?

I must admit that I watch my weight to portray a more authentic soldier. I was obese less than a year ago - I weighed 220 at 6". I was still 15 at the time and was gathering my kit together. When the 2007 New Year came, I decided to loose all the weight, and dropped to 160 before my first event in may (a 60 lb loss). I did it for many reasons, but mainly it's because I didn't want to be another overweight reenactor.

Even to this day I watch my weight and am still trying to loose more, for the soul purpose of looking better in the uniform.

Comment

Hallo!

Bummed about that gut?
      Wish you had rock hard abs?
      Look, I'm gonna be honest. Unless you're under the age of 23 or a professional football player, it's probably not gonna happen.

If I were you, I'd just buy some bigger shirts.

;) :) :)

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
        Hallo!

Bummed about that gut?
        Look, I'm gonna be honest. Unless you're under the age of 23 or a professional football player, it's probably not gonna happen.

If I were you, I'd just buy some bigger shirts.

;) :) :)

Curt
        Now that's a thread-killing quote if I've ever read one! Very Good!

Neil Randolph
        1st WV

Comment

I watch my weight for health and impression. From all the period photos that ive seen over the years weight did not seem to be a problem in the war. If one takes into account the deprivation endured on campaign by both sides then we can only reach a conclusion that any excess weight was worked off in a hurry. In my opinion nothing spoils a great impression more than an excess of material covering the rear of a soldier on weekend campaign.
          Cannon Gould
          Cannon Gould Sr.
          Proud Member of the "Marsh Rats"

Comment

I do not do for CW, but rather for martial arts sparring...since I restarted in January '07 I have dropped 61 lbs...now working to pack on lean mass...

Can't wait till spring to get running again, treadmills are boring.
            S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
              Hallo!

Bummed about that gut?

Curt
              Or you could take up an equestrian lifestyle.., twenty to thirty minutes a day of rising, (posting), trot will give you a pretty good six-pack! :D

I voted yes. I portray a cavalryman, so I figure I owe it to history, (and my horses), to maintain a slim profile. (But to be perfectly honest, I'm kind of lucky in that regard.)
              Jim Smith, Volunteer Co., (UK)

Comment

I had to vote no, only because after spending 21 years in the Army, with 17 of those in Special Operations, I am still in pretty good shape. Having said that, there is nothing more disconcerting than seeing fat "soldiers" portraying those who were'nt. I guess it's alright if you are portraying a rear echelon type (like a sutler). And as to the misbelief that you have to be 23 years old or younger to be slim and "gutless", it only takes a little bit of consistent exercise and less time at the dinner table and in front of the tv to achieve that. The added benefit is that you'll live longer to reenact and enjoy it more. BTW I am in the 57th Virginia and at Gettysburg this year I expect to make it over the wall and I expect my pards to do the same.
                The Lord is a warrior, mighty in battle is he.
                God Bless.
                Cory Comelio
                Co. B
                57th Va. Infy

Comment

Working...
                X