X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1860s Weight Watcher: Yes or No?

Yes.

I have been naturally skinny since childhood but as I have grown older, I noticed that the local Tim Horton's (Toronto-based coffee shop - oddly he was a Buffalo Sabre) added some unwanted weight when I divulge in the Boston Cream donuts... but I digress.

Everyday, I wake up and have at least two cups of coffee and followed by a few slices of bread or a few of the plain "old-fashion" donuts.

Around lunch I have a turkey bacon sandwich and then at dinner I eat a piece of some kind of beef product with an assortment of boiled or steamed vegetables and potato or yam.

As far as munchies go, I stick with Goldfish... A childhood addiction that I can't shake. haha. :wink_smil

I also drink at least a few bottles of Poland Spring water throughout the day. I love food. I'm half Italian... I have been forced to eat for years. I just have to choose what I can eat.

On a side note, when I feel the growl, I think of those in Hood's Brigade at Antietam and feel lucky. (Ya, I'm a nerd.)

Cheers,
    Guy W. Gane III
    Casting Director/Owner
    Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
    49th NYVI Co. B
    The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

I too watch my weight for my impression. I feel that most of the credit is due to a natural cause that is closely related to the era, farming. I am a farmer and not just any farmer, my wife and I have a small farm that we work with draft animals and everything that we try to do is by hand and sweat and muscle. I don't say all this to brag about our farming but it helps in the weight area. When I am visiting with my Amish and Mennonite friends I base most of my appearance off of their looks. For me its just working it off and having that hard grit work look. This is just me though, there's my 2 cents, Thanks Johnny for the Thread.

Pvt. Kaelin R. Vernon
      37th Tn Co. H
      2nd Maryland "the Maryland Line"
      Kaelin R. Vernon
      SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

NO I do not watch my weight according to my Civil War Impression.

However, I do based on Modern Military Standards.:wink_smil

Comment

Yes.....in some degree.

I lift weights and run about 12+ miles per week, but my reason for working-out and watching my weight is not entirely due to my impression, but it is a consideration. Foremost, I just like being in shape. At 5'8" and 153#, I probably weigh more than the typical CW soldier of that height. Like others who have posted here, the gray among my otherwise black hair probably "detracts" more from my impression as a private soldier than my weight. However, I refuse to dye it. As a Wisconsin lad, I enjoy drinking a few beers, but stay away from the brats and cheese curds.

"Fatigue makes cowards of us all." Vince Lombardi

Semper Fi,
          Dan McGraw
          GG-Gson of Patrick Maher, Co E, 1st Minn Cavalry
          GG-Gson of Charles Orth, Co G, 2nd Minn Infantry

Comment

I had to answer No as well. I can't say as that I dictate my weight based off of my impression, however, I would say that I do give it some thought. Much like Dale, modern military standards take much greater precedence over my weight concerns.
            Craig Hyson
            [SIZE="1"]OIF I, OIF 07-08[/SIZE]
            Susquehanna Rifles

Comment

How very timely. There is discussion on the two other major fora with respect to this very issue.

FWIW - In spite of hours of research and $$$$$ on kit...my personal position is that a 38 waist / 44 jacket on my 5' 7" frame prevents me from an accurate representation of a CS soldier and as such I restrict myself from the top tiers of the LH environment..... which are most often the incredible events associated with this website.

Sucks..... but to the OCD manic-accurate like myself, a single company of accurate soldiers trumps 4 companies of ranks filled with inaccurate representations....this is of course only applies to the top tiers of the hobby and is my opinion.

As an outlet for my hunger and love of research I am converting to an "authentic-spectator" and traveling to view some of these events. This provides a tangible, eyes on element to my reading and fuels the spirit.

Keep up the great work... all of you.

Comment

I answered "No."

At 6'2" and 175 lbs or so I couldn't gain weight if I tried. I have maintained this weight, through no fault of my own, by eating to live rather than living to eat. I have never had to worry about my weight and at 46 doubt that I ever will. It's a genetic thing I guess. I still watch what I eat and exercise to stay fit. I have always hated being slim, but it sure has come in handy for an authentic Confederate/Federal impression, and playing sports.
                Joe Mode

Comment

I'm 5'10" and weigh 180. That is about 15 to 20 pounds more then I would like. I am over 50 though. First reason is that it is more than the average Missouri Confederate. Second, my historic clothing does not fit as well and is very expensive to replace. Last, I feel better at 165. I don't go overboard about, I'm just waching it and trying to loose a few pounds a month. I'm not taking any pills or going to the gym (however that would help a lot.) I'm just eating less and trying to be more active.

Doug
                  <table width="100%"><td width="230">[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]</td><td align="left" valign="top">Beir bua agus beannacht
                  Douglas A. Harding
                  Park Ranger
                  Jefferson National Expansion Memorial

"Secure the shadow, ere the substance fade."
                  "Let nature copy that, which nature made."

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
                  [I]A country without a language, a county without a soul. [/I]
                  Céad míle fáilte
                  [I]A hundred thousand welcomes![/I]

[URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/authenticityguide"][B]Star of the West Society[/B][/URL]
                  [URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doughardingslivinghistoryfriends/"][B]Doug Harding's Living History Friends[/B][/URL]
                  [URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ConfederateGuard"][B]The Old Confederate Guard[/B] [/URL]</td></table>

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                    All is fair here. I hear you loud and clear. Save me a beer... -Johnny
                    Johnny,

Will do on the beer... The subject touched a sensitive nerve that has nothing really to do with being a living historian. No feelings hurt here and my apologies for the rant.
                    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

For myself, the answer is yes. The positive reward and the deadline thing certainly help. I have dropped from 255 lbs. before Immortal 600 to 230 lbs. now. It may sound lame but I want to look the part. I know that standing 6'2" doesn't help, but I'd like to try to slim down more if I can. I'd be comfortable at about 210 lbs. How did I do it??? Carrying cabinets off the truck, up and down stairs, and eating 2 meals a day does it to you. It doesn't sound healthy, but it's my daily affair. Good poll Johnny.
                      Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                      WIG/GVB
                      In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I watch my weight because I can't afford to get an entire new CS and US kit for the hobby. Other than that, I couldn't care less what I weigh....;)

Seriously, I work out and eat right because I don't want my family to have to go without their father/husband...and I don't want to miss out on those parts of real life that being obese would prohibit. Frankly, I would be shocked if anyone could honestly answer that the only reason they stay within a healthy weight is because of the hobby.

I see an ever increasing number of folks who are headed for an early grave and many of them are in the hobby...especially the artillery
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

To all:

Well, it seems to be more in favor of "no" but not by a landslide so far.

However, I'm sure glad not to feel alone on the "yes" option... ;)

Hope you had some fun and continue to do so. I sure am in reading how and why ya'll voted the way you did.

Cheers and Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Gane III View Post
                            I noticed that the local Tim Horton's (Toronto-based coffee shop - oddly he was a Buffalo Sabre) added some unwanted weight when I divulge in the Boston Cream donuts... but I digress.
                            Blueberry Muffins.
                            Chris Suppelsa

Comment

[QUOTE=Guy Gane III;91945]Yes.

I have been naturally skinny since childhood but as I have grown older, I noticed that the local Tim Horton's (Toronto-based coffee shop - oddly he was a Buffalo Sabre)

Actually, most of his career was spent with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
                              David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                              MLK Mess
                              Black Hat Boys
                              WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Chris, the Blueberry muffins are amazing. Also, though Tim spent most of his career as a TML, he was still a Sabre... at one point. All I know is he died on the QEW and the coffee is addictive.
                                Guy W. Gane III
                                Casting Director/Owner
                                Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
                                49th NYVI Co. B
                                The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X