Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rest In Peace: David "Duke" Culberson (1954-2007)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rest In Peace: David "Duke" Culberson (1954-2007)

Originally posted by Mark Susnis View Post
    I'll never forget the sight of the cookfire and the sound of Duke's voice as we stumbled our way in the darkness at Lookout Mountain in 2003. We about ran him over instead of advancing the countersign so we could get at the hot coffee...I had the opportunity to serve with him at Bentonville, Sailors Creek, Gettysburg, Harrison's Landing, and Lookout Mountain. I've got a group image from Harrison's Landing with musician Don Hubbard and Duke Culberson who are both now with God and had hearts of gold despite what was said or done on an internet forum.

Regards,
    Mark Susnis
    Duke made the 2003 Lookout Mountain preservation event a most memorable time - and he did it through sheer will despite many obstacles placed in his way, human and otherwise. Like Mark said, I was never so happy to hear Duke's voice than that very dark night after climbing the mountain. I normally don't drink coffee at midnight unless going on guard - but this was good stuff. A kind soul or great integrity. Will post some photos as I find them.
    Last edited by DougCooper; 08-30-2007, 12:48 PM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Duke turned me to the progressive side of the hobby in 1999 when I had had it with the BS in the mainstream.
      He was a good man who cared about his friends and was always willing to help someone improve.
      I wish him Godspeed and am reminded to "enjoy every sandwhich".
      Best wishes to his family...............Chris
      Chris Piering
      www.122ndnewyork.com

Comment

just to let everyone know it was a very nice service for David. he looked very good and his family is very heart felt with your out pouring for david. he has his cowboy hat and boots with him and a kepi to use when he needs it. the 20th has 2 of his buttons and they will be buried at the sharpsburg event and you all are invited to attend to remember him as a friend and pard.

Comment

Please visit the guest book at http://www.legacy.com/GB/GuestbookVi...sonId=93475020.

It was a good service. Si (my 'youngest' Carleton) and I drove down tis morning for it. Saint Stephen's Lutheran was full (which is a testimony in and of itself).

I'll miss the hell out of him.
          Mike Murley

Comment

I will miss him as the man who levied a shot gun at my blinded eye upon Look Out Mountain in Middle 2003. Other than that, I had legal conversations that would abound the common man with the belated fellow not too long ago,
            Beau Blackwell.
            Beau Blackwell

A.F.M# 143 New Prospect, South Carolina

One day I stumbled across a case of bourbon...and kept stumbling for several days thereafter.
            - W.C. Fields

Comment

I met Duke on top of Lookout Mt back in 2003. He was an all around good man. He will be missed.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Re: Death of David "Duke" Culberson

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                Dang. He was a complex guy. I am one of the few who can
                say I never had a disagreement with him. I think it was lawyer to lawyer
                thing.
                I first remember meeting Duke at War on the James (though he believed we'd met before that), and I worked with him as civilian coordinator for Goldsboro. Personally, I found him to be easy to work with, open, have a bunch of really cool ideas, quick to respond to emails and phone calls, and happy to work with civilians. He was always upbeat, and seemed really nice, but I can say that about a number of people that have hobby clouds over their heads. I've seen how he treated some others on the forums and lists, and I know others have had bad experiences with him, but when interacting with me online, or in person he always seemed to be a gentleman.

Linda.
                Linda Trent
                [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
                It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

Hallo!

For one often bashed, and still being bashed on some boards, thanks to everyone for the sentiments here expressed.

I would throw another stick of peat onto the fireplace, raise my glass of Guinness stout, and softly sing:

Of all the comrades e'er I had, I'm sorry for their goin' away,
                  And all the friends e'er I had , I'd wish them here one more day to stay,
                  But since it falls unto my lot that I should rise and he should not,
                  I'll gently rise and softly call, goodnight and memories be with you all.

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

First Off,

That fellow was not a friend of mine by any stretch of the imagination. However, with that being said I can find no joy in his passing. Also, I can only hope & pray that his comrades & family will be OK in the end & I am sorry for their loss.
                    [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

I knew Mr. Culbertson from the McDowell in 2003 as our Federal commander and also his work against us Feds when he was the Confederate commander at War On The James. Even though the rebels were probably outnumbered two to one that weekend, I've never seen such an aggressive use of a small force. Just about the time you thought you could relax, here they came at you...particularly that early,early dawn attack on Sunday! If his use of troops under his command has anything to say about the person, he was a fine man we all will miss.

Neil Randolph
                      1st WV

Comment

Memories of David Culberson

I've posted some fairly large pictures for those who might want to grab a few for their photo albums. I'll be posting some more later on.

David devoted a lot of time and effort to the hobby. He felt a great deal of responsibility towards educating the public and, when he was put in charge, organizing fun, meaningful events for re-enactors.

While he never gave up the educational aspect of it, I and maybe a few others finally talked him into relaxing and giving up the leadership roles and falling back into the ranks where there was much more fun to be had. We had some really great times together and he never regretted this decision. We never failed to cut up and have a fun time at reenactments and on other occasions.

While some folks may have some times disagreed with David or he with them as happens from time to time on internet forums, he never failed to respect folks who respected themselves and other people and didn't hold hard feelings against them.

David may be gone but he's not forgotten. I have lost my best friend and pard. I'll never get over his passing away--I'll only eventually get used to the fact.

--Lee Canaday

Comment

Lee,

Very Nice Pictures...I Am Sure You Think Of Duke Often...
                          Marc Riddell
                          1st Minnesota Co D
                          2nd USSS Company C
                          Potomac Legion

Comment

I have an 11 x 14 taken by Julio Z. at the 2003 McDowell of Duke (federal CO) on horseback in the middle of the Obaugh property dirt road alongside the spring fed creek and Virginia worm fence. The staff is around him and the troops are drawn up behind him in the road. It is one of the prettiest, most period spots on earth...and I like to think Duke was perfectly in his element that day.

The photo is now at the frame shop and will be up front and center in the office. Anybody want to buy a couple of Troiani's? No room for them now.
                            Soli Deo Gloria
                            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I haven't been on the AC in months. Work wife and life have severly cut into the hobby that I still love, but have limited my involvement.
                              When lee white emailed me last week about Duke I was floored.
                              I remember being a 20 year old kid and him asking me to be a corporal in Co.K 35th NC vols for the Hodge march back in 00. Never took the stripes off that jacket.
                              Duke was a pard who's friendship I valued and will miss him.

Bryant Roberts
                              Bryant Roberts
                              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Hey Guys

Just got back from the Sharpsburg event. I just wanted everyone to know that Davids buttons where carried on the March from Harpers Ferry across the pattomac river when we forded the river and in a very moving momement burried at the sunken road at the Sharpsburg Battlefield. May Dave now rest in peace with his pards buttons resting beside his in this most quiet and approprate place.

Dave as we said your pards hope you are free from your pain and have found peace and love forever.

In Loving memory of David Culberson we will miss you

Comment

Working...
                                X