Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rest In Peace: David "Duke" Culberson (1954-2007)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rest In Peace: David "Duke" Culberson (1954-2007)

Strange, but I never met, nor had the privilege of knowing this gentleman....I have been reading the posts of his many friends and Pards on this site, giving their testimony to who was obviously a very good, honest, and noble spirit...One post in particular caught my eye - the one stating his last name....It then occurred to me that I am in possession of a CD jacket he once owned, his name being india-inked inside of it . Though I never knew the man I feel honored to be wearing a tunic that once belonged to this gentleman. Best regards and truly rest in peace, Tom
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

David's wife Nancy and his children, Ainslee and Olivia and Olivia's husband, Jason, would like me to pass on to everyone here that that they greatly appreciate your numerous kind and respectful comments that they have been reading here and elsewhere on the internet.

It is a great reassurance to them to find that David was so well loved and respected among his fellow historians, amateur and professional, within the living history and reenactment communities.

--Lee Canaday

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnersmate View Post
        Hey Guys

Just got back from the Sharpsburg event. I just wanted everyone to know that Davids buttons where carried on the March from Harpers Ferry across the pattomac river when we forded the river and in a very moving momement burried at the sunken road at the Sharpsburg Battlefield. May Dave now rest in peace with his pards buttons resting beside his in this most quiet and approprate place.

Dave as we said your pards hope you are free from your pain and have found peace and love forever.

In Loving memory of David Culberson we will miss you
        I wouldn't believe this for those of you concerned about burying modern-day repop buttons at Antietam. The guy making this claim is none other than Mark Watts aka Doug Nyguen. He's a con artist - if he did get his hands on David's buttons, I'm sure they stayed safe and sound in his own pockets.
        Paul Calloway
        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
        Proud Member of the GHTI
        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Rest In Peace: David "Duke" Culberson (1954-2007)

In order to honor our recently-deceased member and dear friend, David “Duke” Culberson, The Rowdy Pards announce their contribution of $1,700 to the South Carolina Relic Room & Museum. David will be remembered by his friends and those who knew him for his deep love for his home state, and enjoyed his times at the Relic Room as he exercized his passion to learn all he could about The War Between the States.

The gift has been earmarked to help the museum purchase the recently discovered papers of General Colin J. McRae, the Confederacy’s chief financial agent in Europe during the first half of the Civil War, one of the greatest collections of primary source Confederate materials discovered in the last 100 years. Documentation of imported foreign arms and munitions by the C.S.A. and it ability to equip the Confederate soldier in the field has been almost completely lacking, and is understandable considering that foreign companies who violated the proclaimed neutrality of their respective governments had to conceal their involvement in illegal arms sales.

Most incriminating records were destroyed at the war’s end. General McRae’s papers (contained in over 800 documents) focus on English imports to the Confederate war effort. With an appraised value of $304,085, the collection represents one of the largest troves of Confederate documents discovered intact in the last century. The South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum can acquire the collection for $250,000, and intends to combine the information in it with artifacts of imported Confederate arms, uniforms, and equipment, to create a scholarly, educational exhibition linking South Carolina’s involvement in Confederate banking, purchasing, and supply to the entire Southern war effort, as well as the individual soldier. This exhibit would open at the museum during the national Civil War Sesquicentennial in 2011 and then travel to other museums throughout the nation.

The Rowdy Pards invite our fellow living historians, collectively and individually, to help the Museum reach its goal by sending contributions to:

Mr. Alan Roberson
          The South Carolina Relic Room & Museum
          301 Gervais Street
          Columbia, SC 29201
          Bill Cross
          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Working...
          X