Rest in Peace: Cody Warren (1977-2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We Lost One Of Our Own

I pray for his family, there are so many like him.
    "For they were all good men"

Comment

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
      Burt Page
      Salt River Rifles/75th OVI

Comment

Folks,
        Even after several days after reading about this fine young boy, I can not help but be sad. Sad for his soul, his family, and the the many...many before him and the wounded. I guess since Veterans Day just occured, and Thanksgiving is drawing near, I just can't help but think that the two (Veterans / Thanksgiving Day) were meant to be in the same month.

Reading about this boy and seeing his face reminds me of a sin I committed while "over there". I purposley did not remember "the names" and look at "the faces" of the ones we treated. Seeing this boys face reminds me that we must and I mean must, pray for PEACE and to an end to this war.

"For they were all good men"

Comment

Dale:

And let's not forget the 231st Anniversary of the Marine Corps that was celebrated on Friday, November 10, 2006.

You are correct that it is very, very sad. It is also very, very sad that this "war" has become what it has, a status quo situation which is again taking American lives at extremely high levels I note that we have now been at "war" in Iraq longer than we were involved in WWII.

My prayers and thoughts go to the family of a fellow Marine and fellow Georgian.

Mike Ventura
          USMCR
          Mike Ventura
          Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Max Brannon Funeral Home, Calhoun, GA. Is in charge of arrangements. The tentative arrangements are the family will receive friends this Friday and Saturday. The internment will be this Sunday.

(706) 629-4508 - 705 Old Red Bud Rd, Calhoun, GA

At a very young age. Cody joined my Civil War re-enactment unit. He had a love of history and heritage. He was an exceptional young man. There will be one vacant chair around our night time campfires.

Cody Warren, who reenacted with the 28th Georgia from 2002-2005, was killed by a sniper in Iraq on November 9, 2006. He was nineteen. Cody joined the Marines in 2005 and was a member of Battery M, 3rd Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment. Cody was a 2005 graduate of Gordon County High School, where he was the drum major in the marching band his junior and senior year. Starting in 2002, he reenacted with the 28th Georgia at first as a fifer with our field music and then later joined the ranks as a rifleman when he was old enough to carry a musket. Some will remember him as the nice young man who fell in with us, while others will remember his stirring rendition of Garry Owen that he played on his fife. As Cody once honored the heroes of the American Civil War, we now honor him. We are deeply saddened and shocked by his untimely passing, but his last full measure of devotion to his country is an inspiration to us all. Thank you, Cody, for your service and your friendship. We salute you and we will never forget.
            Jerry Holmes
            28th GA. Inf
            65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

Semper-Fi Marine - may you rest in peace, you and your family are in all of our Prayers.
              [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
              Dirigo Grays
              CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
              Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

After talking with members of my unit, Co A, 2nd GA Sharpshooters, most of whom were in the 28th at one time, we still feel a tie to them and to their members, and have elected to tie a black streamer to our camp colors for a year in Cody's honor. Semper Fi Marine....
                Robert W. Hughes
                Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                Thrasher Mess
                Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Bobby - We will always be a family. We've been through too much together.

The final arrangements. For a great young man, gone too soon.

Services will be held at:
                  Trinity Baptist Church, Calhoun GA
                  The time of the service will be at 2:00pm on Sunday,Nov 19th
                  Lcpl Cody Warren will then be taken to his final duty station:
                  The Georgia National Cemetery
                  Canton GA.
                  Jerry Holmes
                  28th GA. Inf

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyHughes
                    and have elected to tie a black streamer to our camp colors for a year in Cody's honor. Semper Fi Marine....
                    I like this idea. I'm not sure we shouldn't all do the same, no matter who doesn't come home. The truth is they are all really a part of the collective military family we strive to represent, and among whom we count many actual members, living and dead. It is something worth considering.
                    Bob Muehleisen
                    Furious Five
                    Cin, O.

Comment

I'm very sorry for Cody's family.

Earlier this year a kid who I graduated high schools with was killed in Iraq, he was a Marine as well.

I didn't know him well, infact he probably teased me a couple times, but it still left me in shock for a couple days.
                      - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
                      1st California Co. F
                      Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
                      -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

My thoughts and prayers to the family, my you rest in peace young man.

Viet Nam Vet 68-69
                        Conrad Kwolek
                        Retired member 2nd Vir. Co. E
                        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

When I do school talks I always try to use stories to relate to the young audience just how young the Civil War soldier was. Additionally, I also make the statement that "so much was lost, each man had a contribution to society to make...I'm convinced that there was more to thier life than just the sacrifice they made for our country. Was the cure for cancer lost ?"

Think about it. What have we lost as a result of the loss of a young man like Cody ? We'll never know, but our society must appreciate the sacrifice of his life, so that we as a people will always be willing to lay down our "contributions" to society, in order to preserve it.

I'll be in tought of Cody and in prayer for his family this weekend.

He's in a better place now.
                          Dennis Neal
                          "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                          David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                          Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                          [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                          J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

I have received many message's from the members of this board. It seems Cody, touched many that he never got the chance to meet in person. Most want to express their condolences of sympathy to the family. One suggestion is to start a seperate thread. It would be used like a visitation book at the funeral home. Based on your opinions. I can print it out and present it to the family ? Or leave it in the presentation book.

I will start a seperate thread. You may leave your thoughts to the family in that thread. I will print it out and present it to the family at the service.
                            Jerry Holmes
                            28th GA. Inf

Comment

Thanks Bob, glad you like the idea... it just came to me.
                              Robert W. Hughes
                              Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                              Thrasher Mess
                              Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                              ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                              Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                              And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Final post:
                                The roads were lined on both sides for miles today. Thousands turned out to hold the American Flag high. And to give a final salute to our fallen Marine.

God bless this country and our troops.
                                Jerry Holmes
                                28th GA. Inf

Comment

Working...
                                X