Rest in Peace: Cody Warren (1977-2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We Lost One Of Our Own

This man's sacrifice is one I hope that thousands of men (and women) gather around in 150 years to remember. It hits home, esp. when the young man is from so close to home (I am I native of Catoosa and spent many years in Floyd). Those who knew him must feel fortunate to have known him and sad to lose him.
    Thanks you Cody,
    Lindsey Brown
    Pat Brown

Comment

I keep coming back to this thread and looking on the face of that beautiful human being and feeling so heartsick.
      On this Thanksgiving, I thank God for young men like Cody and so many others. I remember his family and friends in my prayers and imagine the pain caused by the losses of loved ones in all wars, including the one we strive to portray honorably.
      God Bless Cody, his family and all who serve.
      May he never be forgotten.
      Chris Piering
      www.122ndnewyork.com

Comment

Well said.
        I have thought of Cody and his family many times since they laid him to rest last Sunday.
        Dennis Neal
        "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
        David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
        Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
        [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
        J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Dennis,

For some reason I have too. "For they were all good men"

Comment

Some of the things that struck me most. How many people Cody touched, but never met in person. The PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)website thread went to 9 pages in condolences. Several other website threads did the same. Several of us joined the PGR flag line. 130 members stood in line, holding the American flag to the entrance of the church. As cold a day as it was. No one mentioned or complained of the cold. Everyone stayed in the Flag line 1 1/2 hours. Complete silence fell over the area, at first glimpse of the procession. The only sound was the flags whipping in the wind. Just enough for them to unfurl to full glory.

The services were held in the largest church in town. Easily 800 people in attendence. Codys pastor said, "There was no way their small church could have held everyone." Cody was very active in his church. Cody also excelled in his high school and civilian activities. A bagpipe player played the USMC hymn, as the service started in the church. He slowly marched out and the hymn faded into the distance. Several songs were performed by the choir and
            others. The entire service was uplifting in spirit. A real celebration of Codys short life.

People lined up 2-3 deep for miles through Calhoun. American flags held high. Along the entire route (40 miles) people were on the overpasses of the interstate and along the roadsides.

I noticed several of the Marines, at the cemetary, overcome with emotion. A 21 gun salute and TAPS performed by the USMC. The flag was folded and presented to the family. 19 white doves were live released at the cemetary. One each, for each year of Codys life. They contined to fly overhead, even as we left.

I am in awe, of Codys achievements, in such a short life. He started honoring the men of the Civil War at age 15. He excelled in the high school band and music, church activities, and civilian duties. He was well on the way to doing the same in the USMC and life. He packed more into 19 short years than most do in a lifetime.

He had a page on myspace. It showed the typical interest in girls and music. But, mosty pictures of him in USMC uniform. Along with fishing, his dog, etc...One question was, "Have you ever been in love ?", His reply, "Once" that one really got to me. He never got the chance to have his own house, family and things that make life great.

God needed another exceptional soldier in heaven. I have no doubt. He is serving there now.

Forever in our memory:
            LCPL Kristopher Cody Warren

Jerry Holmes
            28th GA. Inf
            65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

I feel for his family and friends. My son has 4 months left on his tour in Iraq and not a day goes by that I don't think of all our young sons and daughters serving our country, may they all come home safe.
              yours,
              Dirk Behana
              6th Louisiana
              Dirk Behana
              26th North Carolina
              Shocker Mess, Hedgesville Blues
              C.W.T.
              Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site
              King Solomon's Lodge #346 F.&A.M.
              Pioneer Lodge of Ohio (Reenactor Masonic Lodge)

Comment

"Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

-John 15:13

Mark Berrier
                North State Rifles
                Mark Berrier

Comment

Deeply Saddened to here of this Jerry. I'm not sure if I've ever met Cody, it's possible, but I know he was loved by his friends in the 28th, and the GDRA.
                  Very Sad.
                  [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                  [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

Working...
                  X