Original Confederate Haversacks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Original Confederate Haversacks...

Phil, that haversack looks very similar to the J.T. Jobson haversack housed in the MoC and it has a 1 1/4" leather shoulder strap. There is a little difference in the flap, being that it becomes a little narrower and more rounded if that makes any sense.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Mike and Joseph,
      Can you let us know because I think I missed it in the thread, but where is the Neal haversack on display?
      Thanks
      Rob
      Rob Bruno
      1st MD Cav
      http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Rob, the Neal haversack is on display at the MOC @ Appomattox. When you go in, its the first case, you have to walk around it to go through.
        Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
        44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Thanks Mike.
          I would like to see pictures of it. Or, just get a chance to visit that display.
          Thanks,
          Rob
          Rob Bruno
          1st MD Cav
          http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Sorry for the delay, but here are the 2 pics I have of the Neal haversack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Buttonhole.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	876.1 KB
ID:	223839 Click image for larger version

Name:	Haversack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	959.1 KB
ID:	223840
            Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
            44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Nevermind.
              Last edited by Michael McComas; 08-07-2013, 12:37 AM. Reason: Answered question already answered.
              Michael McComas
              drudge-errant

Comment

Does anyone have pictures or a detailed pattern of the Moses Alexander haversack? Thanks
                Sam Frisco 26th NC Carolina Legion
                “Stand up you cowards, they couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance.” John Sedgwick’s last words.

Comment

Sam, try contacting the Museum of the Confederacy. They are great to work with and you would be able to get the specs for $15 IIRC. BTW if you are thinking of making one you can get a kit from WW&Co. for $25.
                  Tyler Underwood
                  Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                  Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

The Alexander Haversack details are also in the Confederate Sketchbook.

Also, I am still looking for details of the original haversack I have seen many people wearing in the past years (photos on page three of this thread). It's not a style currently in the MoC collection. Any hep in finding out the background (if any) of that haversack would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
                    Respectfully,
                    Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Thanks! I contacted the MOC and got the dimensions for free. I don't know why they didn't charge me anything. I finished the haversack last night after watching Jango! I was rather confused about the different stitches that were used on the original though.
                      Sam Frisco 26th NC Carolina Legion
                      “Stand up you cowards, they couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance.” John Sedgwick’s last words.

Comment

Originally posted by BobRoeder View Post
                        There is a Confederate oil cloth haversack pictured in Davis' "Fighting Men of the Civil War", pg. 70-71. It is located in the left hand corner of the collection of items in the photo. It appears to be oil cloth, square flap and bag. Bag has a "gusset" around the sides and bottom. It is listed as being located in the MoC. I tried a search at the MoC site but cannot seem to find it. Does anyone have info on this item. Is this one of the haversacks listed in the first post of this thread?

Thanks in advance.
                        To answer my own question, I found the haversack I originally asked about in a search at the MOC website. The haversack can be found here - http://moc.pastperfect-online.com/39...09863;type=101.

It appears to be another haversack associated with Alexander H. Bayly (aka Bailey, Bayley, etc. etc), though I wonder if it was used as a food bag, or some other purpose.
                        Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Bob,
                          Is there any images of the back of that Haversack you posted the link on? I have seen it in many books and on the web but always from the front. It has some construction details the Kibler Knapsack. Never mind its dimensions being darn near identical to the Single Bag knapsack.
                          Mike Brase
                          Proprietor
                          M.B. Young and Co.
                          One of THEM!
                          Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

Mike,

I haven't found images of the haversack from any other angles or interior shots. I wonder if it is from Bayly's time as a hospital steward rather than it being a container for food. I see your point that it just might be another CS haversack made from a knapsack. I wonder if the folks at the MoC would provide more information on this item.
                            Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Working...
                            X