Knapsacks & Blanket Rolls Redeux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Painted Cloth

Go to http://www.geocities.com/union_guard/ and click on "Articles" on the left hand side of the page. They include several recipes, ranging in degree of authenticity and safety.
    David Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox
      Fred,

Just curious, did you have problems with the recipee you used? I use boiled linseed oil, turpentine, lampblack, and japan dryer. As long as you don't go too heavy on the linseed oil...and is given proper time to dry..it should all work out...

For those less brave than others, the watchdog did an article on them and chemically, black latex paint is supposed to be the same.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04

Hi Paul,

I was actually just reading some of your posts from some time ago. I used to make oilcloths some years back and used linseed oil, lamp black and japan dryer. They did alright but seem to have a 10 year (at best) lifespan. After that they tend to "gum up" when the item is folded upon itself. I didn't use turpentine back then and realize now that I should have....just to thin down the oil. Thanks for your post,

Fred Rickard
      SGLHA & BLA

Comment

Originally posted by edharmon
        Go to http://www.geocities.com/union_guard/ and click on "Articles" on the left hand side of the page. They include several recipes, ranging in degree of authenticity and safety.

Thank you, I appreciate the tip.

Fred Rickard
        SGLHA & BLA

Comment

• Re: Mildue removal

The old way to control mildew is to wash the textile in a lime solution, Calcium hypochlorite and water. This is the same chemical used to bleach rag pulp for paper and to make linen white over the centuries.

That being said, I do not know the properties of this chemical. Use with care. I understand it is no more dangerous than chlorine bleach to use.

If you use any bleach of any kind rinse the textile well, let it air dry and then rinse again.
          Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 08-23-2004, 09:55 PM.
          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

A vinger water mix worked very well for my ground cloth when it got mildue on it. I sparyed it on outside let it sit a couple of hours and they took a little soap and water to it to take out the vinger smell. Also I did this a few months ago and the canvas has had no after affects in case anybody was wondering.

Comment

• Oil Cloths?

Does anyone have any documentation for or know of original ground cloths constructed of oil cloth (linseed oil and turpentine with no pigment)?
              Brian Koenig
              SGLHA
              Hedgesville Blues

Comment

A couple of years back, I was given a "ruined" tent--put away wet, and covered in mildew. It was a small A frame. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I went to a commerical laundry, and got the biggest machine, poured in a lot of detergent and about 3 cups of bleach, and set it for a second rinse. Then I dried it throughly in a larger commercial dryer.

By any common wisdom, this tent should now leak like a sieve. Its what I expected too. But, it doesn't, and stood up to a near monsoon last year.

You mileage may vary,
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies, and great suggestions..it's going to be sunny in my part of Florida for a couple of days, so I'll give your suggestions a try..again, your responses are greatly appreciated!!
                  Rick Norton
                  8th Florida Co.B
                  Spring Hill, Florida
                  rnorton7@tampabay.rr.com

Comment

Hi;

Just a final note on the reply given by Vuhginyuh. Lime is in fact calcium oxide. Calcium hypochlorite is the active chemical used for cleaning/disinfecting swimming pools.

Regards;
                    Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
                    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

If you look at period photos many tents obviously have a case of the "mildews". Why not set it up for a couple of days to dry and air it out and leave it dark.
                      Jim Mayo
                      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

• Re: Knapsacks!

Martin,

My recommendation would be a Kibbler-pattern, Mexican War era or a common single bag soft knapsack, which was the most common Confederate issue knapsack. Jarnagin's or the Jersey Skillet Licker are the ones to go to.

Zacharias Forsythe Sgt. USMC Camp Fallujah,Iraq
                        the Suwannee River Mess
                        Company E, the Liberty Rifles

Comment

• Oil Cloth

Has anyone seen documentation/examples of the use of oilcloth (fabric impregnated with linseed oil, not "painted cloth") in items such as ground cloths or other goods available to or issued to the armies (all theatres, both sides). I am looking for information on the use of this cloth for military items during our period.
                          Last edited by Jefferson Guards; 08-29-2004, 12:55 PM.
                          Brian Koenig
                          SGLHA
                          Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Zacharias J. Forsythe
                            Martin,

My recommendation would be a Kibbler-pattern, Mexican War era or a common single bag soft knapsack, which was the most common Confederate issue knapsack. Jarnagin's or the Jersey Skillet Licker are the ones to go to.

Zacharias Forsythe Sgt. USMC Camp Fallujah,Iraq
                            the Suwannee River Mess
                            Company E, the Liberty Rifles

I wouldnt recomend anything from Jarnigan.
                            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

• Re: Oil Cloth

I saw this the other day and have been looking for natural, undyed, unpainted or tarred cloths too, mostly off-line. The only leads I have found are simple oil cloths and I'm not even sure they started life as such, just acquired the look and feel over the decades.

One is in an early 19th century Johnson County (NC) hunt board and the family states that cloth was spread over the board slab when presenting greasy (sloppy) foods. The cloth is a sheet-size tow canvas with what looks like a very short linen (flax?) fiber. I'll post some specifications asap.

You will be the first to know If I find something more worth looking in to.
                              Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 08-29-2004, 01:37 PM.
                              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Here is a Kibbler pack being offered by
                                LD haning who is an AC Approved Vendor

http://www.ldhaning.com/knapsack.html
                                [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                                X