Knapsacks & Blanket Rolls Redeux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Two gum blankets??

I can't remember the last time I was at an event without two gum blankets. Carrying a 2nd gum is really, nothing at all. Anyway, E.H. Rhoades makes mention of drawing a second gum as does I believe W. Fisk, just off the top of my head. I lean twords a couple of things here. First, will/would the QM records reflect one or a few men in a company drawing a 2nd Rubber blanket or would you also have to check muster rolls? Second, how can we tell if a group of men in a unit were re- issued gum blankets they threw their existing gum blankets away?And, lastly, would this fall into the category of things that were so common to the boys of 186x that they would make little or no mention of it? Those boys were pretty smart about such things as their living conditions on campaign or in a camp would dictate. That rubberized piece of cloth is one damned handy implement.

Use common sense, they did.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
    Past President Potomac Legion
    Long time member Columbia Rifles
    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

• Re: Frequently asked questions that drive you batty

Not so much on this forum but it's the "Why can't we get along?" "Why are hardcores so mean?" etc. stuff that I just get sick of.

This then turns into a 300 reply post on what the differences are, why authentics are jerky stitch counters who hate everyone etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum. Man, how many times can you play that tune?! I especially love the few that will take a fairly decent post and try to turn it into an 'us vs. them' argument.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Here's what I hear people ask:

How can I find recipes for; oil cloths, haversacks, rubber blankets, hardtack, etc...?

Where can I find patters for; kepies, haversacks, uniforms/gear in general?

How do I pack a knapsack/bedroll? What can I use to tie off a bedroll? When can I use my overcoat? How long should I use my straps?

When and where can I wear my NC Jacket?

How late can I wear my Commutation Jacket?

Can I wear a frock coat to cover every event?

How common was it to wear a modified sack coat?

Should I add pockets to my jacket/coat?

How do I modify my pockets on my trousers?

If I'm doing a Federal impression, when and where do I wear a corps badge?

Can I buy period fabric at modern fabric stores?

I have a buzz cut.... Is this authentic hair?

Should I get shoes with or without hobnails?

Should I buy shoes or boots?

How should I go about buying period eyeware?

How do I hide modern medicine and where do I go to take it?

Should I buy a shelter half?

What kind of buttons should I have on my shelter half, tin or bone?

What should I smoke? wood pipe, clay pipe, or cigar?

What should I bring with me on campaign that's non issue?

How do I build a shebang?

What's the best type of button to use for shirts, trousers, jackets and coats?

What type of civilian button should I use for my civilian frock?

What type of drawers do I buy?

My hat shrunk, how can I fix it? How can I re-shape it? How can I modify it?

What kind of canteen should I buy? With or without beezwax? Hot dipped tin? Wood?

What kind of canteen sling should I use?

Should I buy drill manuals? How do I learn how to drill before I attend the event?

How do I roll cartridges? What kind of paper? What type of powder? What's the best thing to use to fill the void of a bullet? What do I use to tie it off? How do I fold the top?
        Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
        Cincinnati

Comment

1. Place down groundcloth
          2. Place down wool blanket
          3. Lay down
          4. Fold wool blanket over you
          5. Fold groundcloth over you

problem solved:tounge_sm

Comment

The paperwork implications are indeed intriguing.

Well, to some sick minds.

If a soldier drew two gum blankets at once, it should show on the clothing receipt roll (QM 52). If a soldier drew one at two different issues, you wouldn't be able to tell whether he'd kept the first or lost it in the meantime.

There would also be no official paper if he bought one at the auction of a dead soldier's effects, or ordered it from home, or picked it up from the field or a camp site (which is how William Ray got the extra shelter half that he and his pard split and sewed onto the ends of their own so they could stretch out at night), unless of course he died later and it showed up on his inventory of effects.

The quarterly/monthly return of clothing, camp and garrison equipage would only show the total number issued to soldiers in the period covered by the report, not the number on hand, because a blanket is clothing and thus personal property. The total number of shelter halves should show up on the return, because they're camp and garrison equipage and thus company property, but there'd be no way of telling whether they'd been field modified a la Ray.

It's one of those areas where asking for documentation is a little tricky and will probably never rise above the anecdotal. I just re-read "Up Front" by Bill Mauldin over the weekend and, although it deals with WWII, it opens the mind to all sorts of possibilities.

Anyway, speaking of paperwork, if you take it too far you have to conclude that very few soldiers ever cleaned up after using the sinks -- there are, after all, far more references to the term "sh*t arse" than to the use of necessary paper.
            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Lads,

Being a tall lad, I got sick and tired of always having my feet or head in the damn dirty dust, or curling into a fetal posistion, so I started to carry two groundcloths. That extra piece of rubber is about the most valuble thing that I take with me to an event, besides a spare shirt and socks.

I understand what this thread is trying to express, but just trying to make sure that guys are wearing their "top notch" gear in the right manner Is a chore in itself... yet alone what gear is proper for any given soldier, unit, and/or time period.

Good Luck!
              Eliot Toscano
              (The Buckras)
              Regards,
              Eliot Toscano
              Independent Brute
              Putting on no style...

"Six children from the local village appeared wearing [U][B]fallacious accoutrements & reprehensible baggage [/B][/U]and thought they would put a sham battle on for our amusement. We laughed so hard at their imitation of soldiers that our sides were hurting for hours."
              A.R. Crawford in the 76th Illinois Infantry, Co D - April 1863 - The origin of FARB

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
                The paperwork implications are indeed intriguing.

Well, to some sick minds.

If a soldier drew two gum blankets at once, it should show on the clothing receipt roll (QM 52). If a soldier drew one at two different issues, you wouldn't be able to tell whether he'd kept the first or lost it in the meantime.

There would also be no official paper if he bought one at the auction of a dead soldier's effects, or ordered it from home, or picked it up from the field or a camp site (which is how William Ray got the extra shelter half that he and his pard split and sewed onto the ends of their own so they could stretch out at night), unless of course he died later and it showed up on his inventory of effects.

The quarterly/monthly return of clothing, camp and garrison equipage would only show the total number issued to soldiers in the period covered by the report, not the number on hand, because a blanket is clothing and thus personal property. The total number of shelter halves should show up on the return, because they're camp and garrison equipage and thus company property, but there'd be no way of telling whether they'd been field modified a la Ray.

It's one of those areas where asking for documentation is a little tricky and will probably never rise above the anecdotal. I just re-read "Up Front" by Bill Mauldin over the weekend and, although it deals with WWII, it opens the mind to all sorts of possibilities.

Anyway, speaking of paperwork, if you take it too far you have to conclude that very few soldiers ever cleaned up after using the sinks -- there are, after all, far more references to the term "sh*t arse" than to the use of necessary paper.

I like the way you talk. Ummmmhh! Reckin thar's any paperwork on potted meat sommers? Er mustard?

Duke
                David Culberson
                The Rowdy Pards
                David Culberson
                20th SCVI/Palmetto Battalion
                Lexington, SC

Comment

Besides drawing or purchasing an extra gum blanket, veterans were known to have raided the belongings of green units.

pg. 91 from "Perryville: This Grand Havoc of Battle" by Kenneth W. Noe:
                  "The nights began to grow cool and as we had no blankets the boys went to foraging among the 'fresh fish' and in due course of time they were comfortably fixed and the new fellows relieved of considerable weight." The 10th Indiana hardly was alone. Jesse Connelly of the 31st Indiana recorded the theft of cooking utensils from the rookie 90th Ohio Infantry.
                  I don’t have in with me, but John Haley in “Rebel Yell and Yankee Hurrah” writes about how the 17th Maine raided the knapsacks of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery during the Overland Campaign.

Bill
                  Bill Backus

Comment

Originally posted by bAcK88 View Post
                    Besides drawing or purchasing an extra gum blanket
                    I believe standard issue was 1 per year. I'll have to look that up.
                    Paul Calloway
                    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                    Proud Member of the GHTI
                    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by paulcalloway View Post
                      I believe standard issue was 1 per year. I'll have to look that up.

I was under the impression that for a five year enlistment, one would draw two blankets over the five years.
                      Bill Backus

Comment

I always hear this one...

"Can I just wear my Type 2 and sky blues or will I have to buy another coat?"

Mark Berrier
                        North State Rifles

combinations@northstate.net
                        Mark Berrier

Comment

Alright, you've all posted a lot of good questions here - now, can you provide an authentic answer to the question(s) you posed? If so, please post them or send them to me. Well sourced answers are much preferred.

I'm rebuilding the FAQ and your contributions are really appreciated - the more you contribute, the less I have to write all by myself.
                          Paul Calloway
                          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                          Proud Member of the GHTI
                          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

The table of issues applies to regulars. Volunteers received a clothing allowance of $3.50 a month ($42 a year later raised, I think, to $46) from which they could draw what they wanted, after the initial allowance, or what they were ordered to.

As an example of what the latter could lead to, Red Tape and Pigeon Hole Generals describes the "frock coat mutiny" that resulted when a 9 month volunteer regiment was ordered -- about a month before their time was up and just after their clothing accounts were squared away -- to draw new frock coats for parade, at some $6.50 per.

Even if it doesn't always apply, the table gives us some idea of how long items were expected to last in normal service.

In other news...

DUKE!!!! I would have said something earlier, but as soon as I saw your by-line I was blinded by a bright white light.

Elvis is back in the building.
                            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Irritating Reenactor Question: "Sergeant, it's raining and I'm soaked to the bone and cold. I've got to get up early tomorrow to go to work. I'm going to head home now, all right?"

Authentic Reply: "Get back in line, soldier."

J. Tobey

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Suppelsa View Post
                                1. Place down groundcloth
                                2. Place down wool blanket
                                3. Lay down
                                4. Fold wool blanket over you
                                5. Fold groundcloth over you

problem solved:tounge_sm
                                This does not work...... And if it appears to be working, wait until you fall a sleep.

Scott Cross, IMHO has the best advice in this thread. Pair up with mess mates, and share your blankets to stay warm or dry. (Somewhat dry ;)) What's more common to do? That right there.

Thanks,
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                                Cincinnati

Comment

Working...
                                X