Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oil Cloth

Hi,

Commercial suppliers for military goods in and around Petersburg VA repeatedly advertised "Patent Black Enameled Cloth" for sale to buyers throughout 1861. The firm of "Alfred Moses & Co.," of Richmond VA, did so in the 13 July 1861 Petersburg VA "Daily Express." The firm of "George H. Davis," of Petersburg, also offered "Black Enameled Cloth" as early as 16 July 1861.

The Petersburg VA enterprise of "T. W. Royston & Co., No. 51 1/2 Sycamore street," advertised the following for sale in the "Express" as early as 13 July 1861:

Oil Cloth Coats
    Oil Cloth Pants
    Oil Cloth Capes
    Oil Cloth Haversacks

Incidentally, as early as 22 January 1861, before the war started, the Royston firm was offering "Military Overcoats...of superior quality, and with a change of buttons make a complete citizen's dress overcoat. Prices only $12.50."

One or more firms in Petersburg also advertised "oil" floor cloths during this same period. It doesn't take much imagination to realize that makers and merchants simply changed their "demographic" and began targeting the "soldier trade." Indeed, I would think the same material used in making oil cloth coats, pants, capes, and haversacks could have been adapted toward making floor- or ground-cloths as well. The fact that the ads differentiated between "enameled" and "oil" cloth is noteworthy.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I've been searching for the same thing in reguards to oil cloth(linseed impregnated cloth). I am looking for information on haversacks inpeticular. I have been told several times that linseed oiled haversacks were a state of Alabama item. I have yet to find any proof or evidence of this as of yet and thought I might find an answer or documentation here.
      John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

Actually, I looked at another "Royston" ad and, in fact, "haversacks" actually reads havelocks. Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up--the print quality of the Petersburg "Express" is nothing short of hideous--almost illegible in many sections.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure there are surviving examples of haversacks (both officer and enlisted) made wholly or partially from oil-cloth--it was pretty much an "all-round material," given its water-repellent qualities. There is a "dispatch bag" or, more probably, haversack in the collections of the Indiana State Museum that appears to be partially constructed of either "enameled" or oil-cloth. This is ID'd to an officer in the 18th Indiana. Maybe other forum members can provide other examples.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

• Re: Knapsacks!

There's also Don Smith of Trans-Mississippi Depot Co. fame. He is back in full time business now (read the "Vendor Announcement" page for details and his 2004/05 catalog). I don't personally own anything made by him but I have seen his products in the past. Top-notch work and well worth every penny you pay.
          James K. Masson

Comment

• Re: Knapsacks!

Thanks a lot for all the great advice!
            My impression will certainly be good thanks to all the guidance I have
            received on this forum!

Martin Midander - the viking reb
            Last edited by Pvt. Burrows; 08-29-2004, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Re: knapsack vs. blanket roll

What was meant by wearing both knapsack and blanket roll? I have seen reenactors doing this, but have never seen any images of this practice. If anyone has some pics, please post them. I would love to see them. Thanks!

Sincerely,
              Matthew Cassady
              104th Illinois Vol. Inf.
              [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
              [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

• Re: knapsack vs. blanket roll

Originally posted by billmatt04
                What was meant by wearing both knapsack and blanket roll? I have seen reenactors doing this, but have never seen any images of this practice. If anyone has some pics, please post them. I would love to see them. Thanks!

Sincerely,
                Matthew Cassady
                104th Illinois Vol. Inf.
                I'll throw out this ever popular pic, and also hunted around Google for those well-known Allen C Redwood sketches but could not find them right now (will keep lookin').

*nevermind, can't seem to attach it; the image was the three-reb-prisoner-Gettysburg-thing. Need I say more?

I have done this from time-to-time and think of it as possibly a day-to-day or situation specific sort of thing, the kind of thing you only learn by experience. Here are some random thoughts, hopefully of some utility: The same intrepid fellow who carries his blanket rolled on top of his knap-sack might find himself needing to move quickly after a hasty bivouac in the field, and rather than roll the blanket tightly for that purpose makes a messy roll and throws it over the shoulder. Or, he travels lighter and keeps the blanket either betwixt the knapsack halves (if he is using some kind of fold-over type) or in the knapsack itself, but either dosen't have the time or the inclination to undo everything (depending on the pack that may be a job in its own right) and thus quickly throws it over the shoulder. Or he has a very low capacity knapsack (Pritchard or Trotter type) without a specific external provision for carrying a great-coat or blanket, and he is motivated enough to carry enough stuff to fill it up and a blanket to boot. Finally, another guy is 48 or 72 hours into one of those hurry-up-and-wait marches with unpredictable starts and stops who just wants to whip the blanket out at pretty much every halt that might offer a few minutes' sleep (or longer, who knows?) without undoing/redoing everything at every halt.

"Function over form" so to speak.

-Tom
                Tom Scoufalos
                [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

• Lined Blankets

Some time back there was a discussion of lined blankets -- a sheet attached to a regular blanket to provide additional warmth. Can't seem to find those posts at the moment (hope they're not lost forever). I just thought it might be an interesting experiment with cooler weather approaching. Does anyone remember what material was used for the lining and does anyone have any real experience with these uber blankets? My Google search didn't turn up anything meaningful, but perhaps I needed to refine my seach further. Thanks for any help.
                  Jim Proctor

Comment

• Re: Lined Blankets

A couple of suggestions from Confederate newspapers:

[Little Rock] Arkansas True Democrat, June 13, 1861, p. 1, c. 2-3

Soldiers' Health—Interesting Suggestions
                    and Recommendations.

The following article, on "Soldiers' Health," is from Hall's New York Journal of Health. It contains much valuable information for both soldiers and civilians: . . .
                    4. Colored blankets are best, and if lined with brown drilling the warmth and durability are doubled, while the protection against dampness from lying on the ground is almost complete. . . .

Daily Chronicle & Sentinel [Augusta, Ga.], August 31, 1861, p. 2, c. 1-2

Remember the Soldier.

. . . The weather has recently been very wet in Virginia, and it is even now getting quite cool, especially in the mountains. And right now the soldiers need good blankets and flannel shirts almost as much as they every will. . . .
                    It has been urged that as blankets are very scarce, if indeed it be possible to buy them at all, the people should give their own to the soldiers. We agree to this heartily, and when families can not afford to give them, let them sell their blankets. Every family can readily furnish from one to half a dozen, and use comforts, or something of that sort for themselves. Blankets are the only covering that will answer for the soldier in camp, and these ought to be lined with oil-cloth if possible.

Vicki Betts

Comment

Those blankets were based on period instructions to utilize a layer of wool fabric and cotton fabric quilted together to produce a warmer blanket. I believe a quick rummage around Vicki Betts newspaper articles site should find the original text.

In practice, this article is very handy--mine is made from a piece of wool jean quilted with long running stitches to a piece of heavy cotton shirting. The edges are bound with twill tape. There is no lining or batting material. I used the cotton shirting classified by Family Heirloom Weavers as 'heavy'.

These are a wartime 'make-do'--just as blankets made of ingrain carpeting were. They are not as warm, versitile, or easily dried as a proper military issue blanket, but instead an example of both ingenunity and hardship.

While I don't live the life of a soldier, I do often find myself rigging a make-do shelter and cover. While this is certainly not the warmest blanket I own, it is by far the best protection against a brisk wind.

These can be produced with rudimentary handsewing skills--an excellent 'first project'.
                      Terre Hood Biederman
                      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

That's my cue....

The main newspaper site is:

Several years back I pulled together articles on blankets, quilts, and comforts and they are at:

I've added a number of newspapers since I did that collection--in fact, I'm editing some new files right now drawn from the Augusta GA Constitutionalist and the Southern Field and Fireside. They should be added in the next week or two, depending on what's up at work.

Vicki Betts

Comment

Along those same lines of thought, and from deep in the blanket article cited above...

Natchez Daily Courier, September 20, 1861, p. 1, c. 1
                          Recipe for Coloring Blankets. Make a strong solution of Red Oak Bark, put a table spoonful of Copperas in the solution, boil a few minutes and stir well. Put your white blankets in the solution and boil them half an hour; take them out and soak them in weak ley then rinse them well in warm soap suds and hang out to dry.
                          These directions if followed will give a most desirable [dye?] for an army blanket.

We made this dye last fall at Fort Toulouse/Jackson State Historic Site, during the week-long Alabama Frontier Days(1730-1820). Not through any pre-planning on my part--this sort of thing comes under the heading of 'running a pot of whatever the Indians bring up to trade'--usually accompanied by "the Grandmother said this was good for ....."

I fully expected a good strong unremarkable brown--what I got on wool was a startling limey green that sent folks running all over camps for shirts to go into the second pot run.

And those linen and cotton shirts emerged from that dye pot as orginally anticipated--a strong, and unremarkable brown
                          Terre Hood Biederman
                          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I actually hit the newspaper article, but didn't read down far enough. I will have to give it a try as I hate to get cold. I end up spending most fall nights sitting or lying next to the fire.

freeborn
                            Jim Proctor

Comment

Jim,
                              Hit the search button. There are several excellent threads on how to stay warm.
                              Paul Manzo
                              Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                                Jim,
                                Hit the search button. There are several excellent threads on how to stay warm.
                                I gave it a try, and thought it work surprisingly well, the extra weight wasn’t to bad.
                                Jake Beckstrand
                                Jake Beckstrand
                                CWPT
                                Member of The Iron Rooster Mess

Comment

Working...
                                X