Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Two gum blankets??

Originally posted by HOG.EYE.MAN View Post

Scott Cross, IMHO has the best advice in this thread. Pair up with mess mates, and share your blankets to stay warm or dry. (Somewhat dry ;)) What's more common to do? That right there.
    I agree. At a recent event two of my pards and I got our shelters, blankets, and gums together - we had two shelter halves on the bottom, with a blanket stretched longways across it to accommodate the three of us, then we crawled in and covered ourselves with the other two blankets, gums, and shelter half - and we spent a comfortable night (though we woke up with a little bit of frost). However, with as much as I roll around at night it was inevitable that the blankets got all askew and I would wake up and have to readjust them. In the morning we rolled up our beds and marched out, each of us with a blanket roll with his shelter half, gum, and blanket. Just thought I'd pass this along incase anyone wanted to try it.
    [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
    [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

• Re: Frequently asked questions that drive you batty

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      "What is the correct rifle position for In Place, Rest ?"

This is a trick question in the "If You Look Hard Enough You Can Always Find One Unit That Did x" category. The original unit that my group portrays (Co J, 8th Mass. Vol. Militia, Spring 1861) used a manual of arms (Elmer Ellsworth's "Manual of Arms for Light Infantry...") that actually included three positions for In Place, Rest: one for arms at Order, one for arms at the Shoulder, and one for arms at Support.

Regards,

Paul Kenworthy

Comment

Do I really need a corset?

Yes, and if it fits properly it won't be uncomfortable.

Lauren Kaye

Comment

Originally posted by HOG.EYE.MAN View Post
          This does not work...... And if it appears to be working, wait until you fall a sleep.

Scott Cross, IMHO has the best advice in this thread. Pair up with mess mates, and share your blankets to stay warm or dry. (Somewhat dry ;)) What's more common to do? That right there.

Thanks,
          Sure it does, I've done it for the last two years with satisfactory results.

Spooning is better of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Suppelsa View Post
            Spooning is better of course.
            Yes, it's the best solution.

Wrapping yourself up like a burrito does not work very well for everyone. I'm not saying it don't work for you, but it's not the best solution to keep warm and dry. I've tried it before, and can never stay wrapped up like that because I tend to move around too much. As far as the rubber blanket being wrapped up too, it always falls back to the ground.

The best, and most common solultion to this question has already been answered.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
            Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by SCTiger View Post
              We used to call this spoon feeding, any topic could become irksome if the questions aren't completely answered and made in to a good article. I guess Paul wants more serious articles that address these issues squarely and relate them to the type of issues we most commonly encounter, most stem from reenactorisms that are practiced at mainstream events. We need articles that treat the subject in a realistic manner, i.e. take a topic like "women in the ranks", instead of preconceived and biased articles that want to "justify" female soldiers, we need a fair and scientific article, that should demonstrate exactly how rare that was (hypothesis). Another would be soldiers without shoes or tent usage, Personal opinions are to be aruged with, good research teaches.

You can argue with beliefs and opinions but, facts stand on their own. Good specific articles with specific references, unbiased facts and solid empirical will kill the myths.

Provided that someone ever read the "primary resource" or article sections of this forums.
              Quoted because it's an excellent point and one I've been trying to make. Well said.

I think we have enough questions now. I've just opened a new thread for answers. Please pick some of the questions you CAN answer and post your well considered, well sourced answers in the other thread. Use that handy-dandy search feature you're fond of recommending to others!

We'll get those replies added to the FAQ. Hopefully that thread will be just as popular!
              Paul Calloway
              Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
              Proud Member of the GHTI
              Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
              Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

• Re: Quilts v. blankets

I have been reading the posts and felt compelled to add my 2 cents worth.

With regards to Civil War soldiers actually using quilts:

In the book "Threading the Generations: A Mississippi Family's Quilt Legacy" by Mary Elizabeth Johnson and Carol Vickers, University of Mississippi Jackson, 2005, the Shaifer family's history is documented from the arrival in Mississippi of Abram Keller Shaifer in or around 1813. Abram (A.K.) married Elizabeth Hannah (Betsy) Humphrey on May 15, 1817 and the two began housekeeping in the Port Gibson
                area.

Betsy died shortly after the war and listed in her will which was probated on December 24, 1867 , there are listed among other items, "4 comforts", valued at a total of $6.00. "Comforts" being the common term for quilts at that time. (p. 20)

The Shaifers built a home at Holly Hill, outside Port Gibson. Their last child, A.K., Jr. was born in 1833 in that home and lived there his entire life. He along with two of his brothers served in the Confederate Army. While he was away at war, his wife Elizabeth Girault, two small sons and mother who was in failing health, remained in the family home at Holly Hill, along with a sister-in-law and her son and daughter.

As General Grant's troops advanced toward Vicksburg, fighting broke out around the Shaifer home (the first skimish of the Battle of Port Gibson). The family fled to Port Gibson with what little the women could pile atop a wagon. During the ensuing battle, the Shaifer home was used as General Headquarters by US General John A. McClernand as well as a Union hospital. (p. 27) All that remained in the house was at the disposal of US forces for approximately 10 days. It is therefore believed that all quilts, sheets and blankets were used for bandages and bedding for the wounded. (p.28)

In the late 186o's Kell began corresponding with William Duffner, an Indiana man who had fought for the Union and had scene action in the Battle of Port Gibson. Eventually, Kell began exchanging letters with Federal soldiers from Ohio and Iowa, also. (p.42)

A passage from one of Kell's letters reads in part...."Right or wrong I am a Confederate and will die one. Because Earl allowed his men to take the featherbed from under my 70-year-old mother, must I forget that Colonel Blackburn dismounted and ministered to me when I was at the point of death on the road to Montrose after he fall of Blakely? (p.45)

This seems to me significant evidence to me to believe that soldiers may have carried quilts from time to time. The bulk of a wet quilt not withstanding, I find it impossible to believe that a soldier in need of warmth after losing his standard issue wool blanket would not have used anything at his disposal, practical or not, until a more suitable replacement could be acquired.

For anyone interested, I have found the following two books useful references in studying period correct quilts. Both show dated, authentic examples of quilts, have timelines for quilt designs, and show some examples of period fabrics. They are:

Better Homes and Gardens Quilting Pieces of the Past: 175 Years of Quilting Inspiration
                , Meredith Books, Des Moines, IA, 2004 and Fons and Porter Presents Quilts From The Henry Ford: 24 Vintage Quilts Celebrating American Quilting, Landauer Books, Urbandale, IA, 2005.

Lori Parault
                Last edited by Belleof Dixie; 01-24-2007, 08:11 AM. Reason: Omitted full name
                [FONT="Verdana"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Belle of Dixie[/FONT][/FONT]
                Lori Parault

Comment

Frank's quilt articles in the Camp Chase Gazette ran in the March & April 2004 issues. Ms. Hughes also had a very nice summary article on the use of quilts in the reenacting ranks in the Watchdog, Winter 1999 and Fall 1999 issues (Vol. 6, Nos. 1 and 4).

The Confederacy's resources for making woolen blankets was extremely limited... so we probably see way too many woolen blankets in the CS camps, as these needed to be imported (as many were from Great Britain), or as limited opportunities arose, acquired from one of Uncle Sam's nephews who had no further use for it.

My experience is that when you ask a question in a public forum about quilts, you get at least forty 'leven conflicting pieces of advice as to what is and what ain't a period-correct quilt. There's no doubt that a fair number of soldiers both North and South went off to war with quilts. Many of these quilts went the way of Si Klegg's quilt during the process of "getting used to it" and adjusting one's load to what could be feasibly carried on the march. Others, especially the blanket-poor Confederates, hung onto theirs longer, or at least until they had access to something a little better.

I added a patchwork quilt to my kit several years ago, and carried it in a short roll along with an oil cloth at the 2000 Wilson's Creek re-enactment, so I can affirmatively state that at least in 6 inches of rain, a quilt makes at best a soggy pillow of sorts, and takes several days to dry out after that, provides that Mother Nature cooperates with your efforts. Neither does it do all that well at keeping you warm by itself on those really frigid nights out in the field, but even a quilt is a whole lot better than nothing at all ;-)

It's good to see more coverlets show up in the ranks, now if there was just a good source for correct carpet blankets...
                  Tom Ezell

Comment

I thought this subject had been discussed to death years ago, but evidently not. There are good written accounts about the use of home-made woolen blankets in the Confederacy and documented examples in museums. Family Hierloom Weavers makes several varities, and if you hit the antique stores you can still find original two-piece blankets for sale (I own two). Family Hierloom also manufactures historically correct ingrain carpeting which can be purchased in strips and sewn together to form a carpet blanket. There are other weavers making the same ingrain carpet strips on narrow looms. Once again, if you keep your eyes pealed, you can also find originals in antigue stores and flea markets. I've got enough of the stuff to carpet two rooms and several hallways in my home.
                    Last edited by ScottCross; 01-25-2007, 02:16 PM. Reason: typo
                    Scott Cross
                    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

• Re: What exactly is a "comfort"?

Greetings All,

One more citation for "comfort"

"North Carolina Yeoman: The Diary of Basil Armstrong Thomassson, 1853-1862", Paul D. Escott - Editor, Univ. of Georgia Press, 1996:

"Went over to Buck Shoal Factory and bought 5 lbs of waste cotton, for 5 cts per lb. of which I and Mollie paded a comfort, and it is, indeed, comfortable to sleep under these cold nights."

This is a portion of the January 21, 1856 entry
                      Last edited by 56spencer; 01-31-2007, 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling error
                      Kevin Bender
                      The Cumberland Valley, PA

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                        . Would love to see photos of an original.
                        Wouldn't that be lovely Doug!

I have in my collection a cot sized quilt--thick and heavy as lead. The batting is pounded down by years of use, and the fact that additional quilts have been made over the first one. Before it was conserved, I could peek through layers and see at least two other quilts, possibly three, inside the top one, each of earlier fabrics.

I rescued it from a dog bed, cleaned it up, and had the good fortune that the last maker recognized her work ( and her old dresses), as it hung to dry on my line in the late 1970's. She was then nearly 90, and counted the item to be more than 60 years old, made in a manner she used to make warm items for charity work.

The size and wet weight of that quilt, and the days it took to dry when I washed all the 'doggy' out of it still lingers with me as I read the descriptions of period comforts, with the knowledge that this particular cotton quilt has been worn out 3 times.

I have often wondered what mighty rocky road it may have marched down.
                        Last edited by Spinster; 01-31-2007, 06:29 PM. Reason: can't type
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Heavy blanket no doubt.

We always called that here in NY.

Bob Sandusky
                          Co C 125th NYSVI
                          Esperance, NY
                          Bob Sandusky
                          Co C 125th NYSVI
                          Esperance, NY

Comment

• Tumpline

Recently I ran across a site while searching for ways to use the gum blanket or an ordinary blanket to avoid the purchase of a knapsack and also to be able to use in conjunction with a bedroll. It is under the name of a tumpline. I was wondering if it is correct for the period of time we portray. The website is based on the 18th century. Anything helps, the website is http://www.18cnewenglandlife.org/18cnel/wallets.htm .

Kevin Alexander

Comment

• Re: Tumpline

This has come up before. It's my oppinion, and if I recall the oppinion of the board, that their is no evidence for the use of the tumpline for military applications during out time period. It is far better to use the old mule collar, short roll, or knapsack. The tumpline seems to be exclusive to endogenous cultures, and those whites that spent a great deal of time with them.
                              Last edited by Justin Runyon; 03-13-2007, 06:09 PM.
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

• Re: Tumpline

Kevin,

You may find the several articles concerning just the info you seek -- located at this link:

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...links.php?c=14
                                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
                                X