Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tumpline

Friend Kevin,
    The line art of a short roll in use wouldn't come up via the search function, but I did find this photo that Robert Johnson submitted in a discussion on short rolls in 2004. I used the short roll at Franklin because I'd broken my arm and didn't have the range of motion to easily sling a pack (although arm not cast, just in a sling).
    Comfortable enough that I've used a short pack at other events. As has been mentioned, its advantage over the horse collar in hot weather is that you don't seem to have the heat build up, less chafing potential, &tc, and IMHO easier to get off and on than a "full" blanket roll when there's fightin' to be done.
    Try it out.
    Paul Hadley
    Just Another in the Ranks
    Attached Files
    Paul Hadley

Comment

• Re: Quilts v. blankets

Confederates are well documented using quilts due to the lack of government issue blankets. Union soldiers on the other hand rarley used them because thre govt. issue wool blankets were much warmer and lighter. I think that it would be very authentic to use a quilt while reenacting as a confederate.
      Jack Ramsey
      Co. A, 5th WI. Infantry

Comment

• Re: Quilts v. blankets

Sir, please use your actual name, rather than initials--and please share some of the documentation you've found. "Well documented" does go far without a few citations.
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

• Poncho

I was thinking of getting a gum poncho and I would appreciate any input/advice. Thanks.

Comment

• Re: Poncho

Personally, I have found the things useless, as an infantryman. Difficult to use to sleep on, as the hole allows seepage in the most embarrasing spots, and the hole allows too much water in when used as it is intended.

On the other hand... a gum blanket works everytime, correct for almost every occassion and wraped around your neck (fastened in front by any period method) works better than a poncho. One less piece of stuff to carry, as well.
            Ley Watson
            POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Ley Watson's advice is good. Federal infantrymen typically carried a gum blanket (vulcanized rubber over canvas backing) whereas ponchos were more common in the cavalry. Each was used by the other branch at times.

However, Ley's right: a poncho when worn for protection against wet weather leaks at the neck and the sides flap all over the place in the wind. On the other hand, when I ditched the poncho I used to wear in the rain for a gum blanket simply wrapped around my shoulders and secured in front with either a string or a knapsack's "J"-hook, I stayed a lot drier.

As a groundcloth, gum blankets have ponchos beat. The neck-slit in a poncho allows water into the middle of the groundcloth and of course that gets your mid-section wet at night. A gum blanket, on the other hand, has no penetrations through it (unless you put them there yourself) and keeps you drier.

Comment

Originally posted by 30th IL View Post
                I was thinking of getting a gum poncho and I would appreciate any input/advice. Thanks.
                Matt,

You'll probably find the article on page II-27 (140) in the CRRC-2 to be of good use. The article is located in the material culture section, and is titled "Gum Blankets, Painted Blankets, and Ponchos."

Reproduction gum blankets vary in quality and accuracy. If you ever have the opportunity to examine originals, you'll no doubt wonder why the vast majority of reproductions are too heavy, have incorrect grommets and grommet placement, and even, in some cases, are made with water soluable glue. Choose wisely.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

• gum blanket vs. poncho

Which one, gum blanket or poncho, is the better overall choice for using at events????
                  Doug Ranson

Button Hat Boys
                  Jaunty Bunch
                  Cumberland River Legion
                  3rd Batt USV

Comment

• Re: gum blanket vs. poncho

Recently discussed here:

Brian Hicks
                    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

• Re: gum blanket vs. poncho

thanks for your help brian!
                      Doug Ranson

Button Hat Boys
                      Jaunty Bunch
                      Cumberland River Legion
                      3rd Batt USV

Comment

• Re: Tumpline

Another good view of a short roll, and an interesting mess kit or canteen combo to boot, worn by one of Gosline's Zouaves. From the LOC collection.
                        Last edited by roundshot; 04-28-2007, 02:35 PM.
                        Bob Williams
                        26th North Carolina Troops
                        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

• Period Poncho Instructions

Weekly Arkansas Gazette, May 25, 1861:

"Good Suggestion.—We have been shown by Dr. Everett a most excellent article for our soldiers. It consists of two widths of cotton osnaburgs sewed together, forming a blanket 2 ˝ yards long and 2 yards wide. It has a lit in the middle, so as to serve as a Mexican ponchar (sic), and its chief use is to sleep on and cover with at night. A little paint and oil makes it an excellent water proof tarpaulin and the whole cost will be about 76 cents. Every soldier should instantly provide himself with one, for it is folly to go to the field without something to protect from rain and dampness."

Regards,
                          -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                          93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                          [I]
                          "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                          [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

• origional gum blanket and poncho dimensions

Comrades, I am in need of if possible detailed measzurements /infos about existing original gum blankets and ponchos. I have the QM Manual details, the iones of the Arabia and two privately owned ones but am searching for more info.
                            This is still an item which seems to be not reproduced in the proper way altghough some efforts have already been made.
                            So I would liek totry myselb but would like to get more info about originals first.
                            Any info is most welcome!
                            Regards from Germany
                            Jan H.Berger
                            Hornist

German Mess
                            http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

• Re: origional gum blanket and poncho dimensions

One easy source for dimensions is in the Columbia Rifles Compendium in Section
                              II.27 "Gum Blankets, Painted Blankets and Ponchos", pages 141-143. There are dimensions for several gum blankets and ponchos with details on the grommets, etc.
                              Ross L. Lamoreaux
                              rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

• Re: origional gum blanket and poncho dimensions

Well I should have told so, I hav ethose as those are from the CMH magazine. but thank you!
                                Jan H.Berger
                                Hornist

German Mess
                                http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Working...
                                X