Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Knapsacks & Blanket Rolls Redeux

Greatcoats don't go on top of knapsacks. Maybe :

The Sunday morning inspection in camp will bear a brief mention. It takes place after guard mount, on the parade ground. Each man must appear to the best advantage he can. His brasses must be cleaned and his musket in good order ; knapsacks packed tidy, and everything about him must be as neat as possible. The band form on the parade ground, the companies march to the music and form as if on parade. The Adjutant turns and salutes the Colonel, telling him the batallion is formed. The Colonel then gives the order for the companies to right wheel, the right of the companies standing still, thus leaving a space between each company. Then the front ranks come to an about face, so as to face the rear rank, which has stepped to the rear about four paces, before the front rank has got the order to face about thus leaving a space between both ranks for the inspecting officer to pass through. "Unsling knapsacks' is the order after "ground arms," [167] and each man puts his knapsack at his feet, unpacked and the contents laid bare to open inspection. It is funny sometimes to see the contents, especially after a campaign. A soldier has perhaps a shirt; a pair of socks, and a prayer book or testament. Some have more, and some less, more generally the latter, but in winter-quarters, where there is a chance to have plenty of clothing, the knapsack of a tidy soldier is worth looking at. The overcoat is folded in a nice roll and strapped on top; the blankets, shirts, drawers and socks, with a soldier's album, which almost every soldier carries with the pictures of dear and loving friends at home. All have their proper places in the knapsack.
    pp. 166-67, Four Years Campaigning in the Army of the Potomac by Color Sergeant Daniel G. Crotty, 3d Michigan Volunteer Infantry (1874).
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
      Lost in the 60+ pages of posts and fifteen thousand views this thread has had is perhaps one thought I'd like to again stress.

"If there is anything in the knapsack that you do not use in 5 days, you sure as heck won't use it in 2 days, so out it goes...forever." Doug Cooper

I'm picking on Doug a bit here (not that I don't like you Doug- you know the Hornets love to have you out!) but I would reason that it is incorrect to pack light, "for only two days," because that's not what these guys did. Yes, we may only need what we have for two days but our impression should be grounded in the notion of snatching two days randomly from four years of war. Clearly, every man's load would vary based on many factors but I'll say that Doug's post above is, in my opinion, not the best way to pack. Maybe some of that stuff is heavy but suck it up a bit. If you like chess enough to carry a little set, or a Bible, or letters from home, or a dime novel, or a journal, or some other trinket or knick knack- carry it. Think bigger picture. Yes, you would spread mess-gear out and lighten the load as much as you could but you still had to live and you still had people back home or some non-required, non-military item you were toting to help keep your sanity.

My two cents on a thread that could be printed and bound and sold due to the volume of posts...
      I was not talking about Bibles (I always carry one) or other keepsakes. I was talking about extra mess gear, extra clothes, towels, etc.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

At BGR, I only recall two Confederate soldiers with blanket rolls. I was one of them and perhaps there were a couple more. Granted the soldiers we portrayed had acquired a lot of Federal gear, but it still did not seem representative to me.

Description of "Typical Soldier from Confederate Veteran Magazine, 1893:

Across his body from his left shoulder there is a roll of threadbare blanket, the ends tied together resting on or falling below the right hip. This blanket is Jobnny's bed. Whenever he arises he takes up his bed and walks. Within this roll is a shirt, his only extra article or clothing. In action the blanket roll is thrown further back and the cartridge box is drawn forward, frequently in front of the body. From the right shoulder, across the body, pass two straps, one cloth the other leather, making a cross with blanket roll on breast and back.
        Joe Allport

[I]...harbors bushwhackers and bushwhacks himself occassionally...is a shoemaker and makes shoes for all the bushwhackers in the neighborhood.[/I]

Texas Ground Hornets
        Co. F, 1st Texas Infantry
        Shoemaker

Comment

28th Louisiana retreating from near Alexandria were ordered to dump their knapsacks on the wagons with the promise when they arrived at Pleasant Hill they and their knapsacks would be reunited. Four days later the promise was kept and the men eagerly changed into a clean shirt and socks if they had such items. If they didn't, some took off their dirty shirt and socks and pretended to put on clean ones. So, throw your stuff on the wagons and hope you are reunited with the wagons, or, just carry your stuff and hope it isn't too heavy for making 25 miles a day. Of course, that is real war stuff and refarbactors ain't the same.
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Well, I'll jump in on this one. Whether for two days, five days, etc. my knapsack has the same basic stuff in it with only a couple of variations. Here's the list:

Blanket
            Gum blanket (if not on my belt in the back)
            1 shirt
            1 (maybe 2) pairs of socks
            1 extra pair of drawers
            sleeping cap
            small bible
            small tin of tooth powder
            toothbrush
            comb
            Small tin containing needle, thread, pins, and a couple scraps of fabric (much smaller than a typical housewife)
            some musket cleaning items (patches, jag, oily patch) (my Confederate cartridge box does not have an implement pocket on it)
            Pencil, and a few pieces of writing paper
            Maybe an arsenal pack or two
            Shelter half when scenario calls for it
            Greatcoat on top ONLY if absolutely, positively necessary which is seldom in my neck of the woods. I hate the extra weight.
            Robert Collett
            8th FL / 13th IN
            Armory Guards
            WIG

Comment

Robert,

That is pretty much what I carry. Plus or minus an item or two.
              [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

After reading what folks carry I realize that I don't carry enough stuff so I will try to do better in the future by stuffing as many needless things into my pockets as I can carry. What I do consider important and do carry is a canteen, a cup and a spoon and a blanket. Beyond that and a rifle, caps and some cartridges, ain't much else important.
                Tom Yearby
                Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Hi,

This is what I carry in my Isaac and Campbell, or Federal double bag knapsack:

1 blanket

tooth brush

gum blanket

1 extra shirt

1 pair of extra socks

extra ammuntion

housewife

soap

2 candles

newspaper and letters
                  Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 03-17-2008, 07:11 AM.
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

"After reading what folks carry I realize that I don't carry enough stuff so I will try to do better in the future by stuffing as many needless things into my pockets as I can carry. What I do consider important and do carry is a canteen, a cup and a spoon and a blanket. Beyond that and a rifle, caps and some cartridges, ain't much else important."

Tom,

Always good words!

Folks,

After 623 posts (previous to mine), this thread is getting exhausting now days!

Any thoughts on shutting her down, AC mods?
                    Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 03-16-2008, 09:08 PM.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                    Cincinnati

Comment

Aaron, and after all those posts and all those views, there is likely somebody, somewhere, out there in the distance who has yet to even take the baby step of reading this foundation article:

Knapsack 101
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

AND, the Saga continues..........
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                        Cincinnati

Comment

This thread someday may rival the spoon thread on the OTB. In a rare moment of seriousness, I must say that what one carries or does not carry should be based on research into what actual soldiers carried and not personal whims and wants. Less is better as any one that has humped with a load knows, but again, research into reaility is better than a personal want list. This horse may not be dead, but it is getting old.
                          Last edited by Old Reb; 03-18-2008, 09:22 AM.
                          Tom Yearby
                          Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

In my double bag I carry in the envelope side: shelter half and guy rope, extra shirt, sanitary poke sack (contains soap, comb, toothbrush, powder, shave kit, matches), extra socks.
                            Folding side: blanket (or overcoat depending on weather), small towel, extra food.
                            I want to add...that 17lbs carried strategically packed beats 15lbs "thrown together" packed. I pack my bag, put on gear, and walk 3 miles. If something is a burden, I re-position. I have sort of developed my own system.
                            Luke Gilly
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Sometimes I close up the knapsack with my gum blanket in between the two bags.
                              Luke Gilly
                              Breckinridge Greys
                              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Comfort, or as close as you can get to it, will vary from person to person. So will the utility of any given item. Same as for the originals, there will be some items that are a must for one man and a burden for another.

The end point of the whole debate for both blanket roll and knapsack is simply this: If you want to carry it, and are able to carry it, carry it. If you don't want it, don't carry it. If you want to carry it, but you aren't able to, then don't carry it. If you're going to carry it, carry it according to period means and the given event requirements.
                                Bernard Biederman
                                30th OVI
                                Co. B
                                Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                                Outpost III

Comment

Working...
                                X