Knapsacks & Blanket Rolls Redeux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Asbestos Groundcloths

There's a variety of asbestos from Canada that comes out of the ground in a fiberous form. The fibers are long enough that they can be spun into thread and woven into cloth.
    Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
    Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
    Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
    Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
    Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

• Re: Asbestos Groundcloths

Originally posted by pipthelimey View Post
      See, this is why I hang with you guys...

:)
      We have been friends for years and you post it here first .....I am hurt:cry_smile Thats crazy .Great post bring the article to the drill so I can read it all.
      Kiev Thomason
      a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
      WIG
      Armory Guards
      Forest Park Lodge #399
      Forest Park GA.

Comment

• Re: Frequently asked questions that drive you batty

Paul,

Gotta love that banner. It is perfect. :)
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I think some of us are still missing the point of this thread. Take a look at Paul's subsequent post.
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Seriously guys -

we're looking for questions mainstream reenactors ask when they become interested in doing c/p/h ...

not general, "do you sleep in those tents" spectator questions.
            Paul Calloway
            Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
            Proud Member of the GHTI
            Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
            Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

"What is the correct rifle position for In Place, Rest ?"

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

How about this one?

"I've got a Jarnigan (Or other sutler row crook) coat that I've torn up to look like I've been on campaign, how is that any different from a correctly made coat? I can look just as hardcore with my cheap S&#@ as the rest of you fellows."

About time to eliminate that mentality...
                Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Slightly modified from the Confederate uniform question -
                  • I want to portray [insert male civilian occupation here]. What clothes should I wear, and where can I get them?

The rest I get when new fellows join one of the good civilian groups listed on the forum:
                  • How do I, as a civilian, carry my stuff with me? What bags do I use? What do I do for a water container?
                  • What kind of items should I carry with me in my pockets as a civilian?
                  • I want to carry a pistol/shotgun/musket so I can interact with the Yankees. Is this a good idea? Karin Timour had a good reply to this and I think I saved it.

The only question which drives me batty are the stubborn ones who persist on developing a "generic XYZ" civilian impression and then look for ways to shovel said impression into every event they attend, whether the impression can be documented for that event or not. I'm pretty sure we'd recognize the questions which come out of that. They are corollaries towards the Heath "How popular wazzit" Peeve.

I believe a couple of years back I printed off this very forum a "work-in-progress" FAQ. Let me see if I can find it. If so, I will scan and send as a PDF, which might cut down on wheel reinventing time. :D

Comment

• Re: Two gum blankets??

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                    Folks,

Resist the urge. You know you want to post it as bad as I want to post it, but resist the urge.
                    That's really helpful, Charles. Say -- why isn't Spottsylvania on your list anymore?
                    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
                      Say -- why isn't Spottsylvania on your list anymore?
                      Feel free to ask Jeff Johannes. :D

His email is jjspanzer@hotmail.com
                      Last edited by Charles Heath; 01-10-2007, 09:39 AM. Reason: added email addy for convenience
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Feel free to ask Jeff Johannes. :D

His email is jjspanzer@hotmail.com
                        For a person who has something to say about everything, you don't actually have much to say, do you?
                        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

For a person who has something to say about everything, you don't actually have much to say, do you?
                          Cupcake,

I have said quite a bit on the matter, and will say much more in the right time and place. Not being a member of the CRs, you may or may not be privy to the details of unit business. I'll leave it at that, and strongly suggest you do, too.

In the context of carrying two blankets, one can do a little research (maybe even use the search engine) and find a great passage about a mess carrying their own sheet iron stove on the march immediately after breaking up their winter camp. They made a good effort to carry the iron stove for a few days. Eventually, the stove parts were left along the route of march. Men will carry any number of things on the march from poultry to furniture to clothing to decorations -- even large iron dogs.

What does all this mean in the bigger scheme of things? If men are apt to inconvenience themselves by hauling a stove for their personal comfort, then a second gum blanket now and then is certainly not out of the question. Matter of fact, a number of AC Forum old timers probably remember an article about this very subject.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Cupcake,

I have said quite a bit on the matter, and will say much more in the right time and place. Not being a member of the CRs, you may or may not be privy to the details of unit business. I'll leave it at that, and strongly suggest you do, too.

In the context of carrying two blankets, one can do a little research (maybe even use the search engine) and find a great passage about a mess carrying their own sheet iron stove on the march immediately after breaking up their winter camp. They made a good effort to carry the iron stove for a few days. Eventually, the stove parts were left along the route of march. Men will carry any number of things on the march from poultry to furniture to clothing to decorations -- even large iron dogs.

What does all this mean in the bigger scheme of things? If men are apt to inconvenience themselves by hauling a stove for their personal comfort, then a second gum blanket now and then is certainly not out of the question. Matter of fact, a number of AC Forum old timers probably remember an article about this very subject.
                            Funnel Cake,

Thanks for the benediction. Why didn't you say so in the first place?
                            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Why didn't you say so in the first place?
                              I was truly hoping my somewhat larger than obvious comment would stir some fellow who had been in this wing of the hobby for more than 15 minutes to post the once common stove reference.

When it comes to burdens, men will carry some odd items. The references to the federals shucking their gear to the roadside (much to the great benefit of the locals) during the early Peninsular Campaign marches, are countered by men who fit the drawing of Si Klegg when first outfitted, and that image is countered by the threadbare appearances of the men at points during the Carolinas Campaign. We have reenacted events where an overcoat was greatly desired in August, and a fatigue blouse was too much in February. The scenario dictates much.

Other than as a sunshade, a rations tote, burial shroud, and a great target for yonder artillery, a shelter half is about useless as a teat on a boar hog; however, two men with two gum blankets each not only have a roof and a floor, but a nice addition on the end of their lodging.

We don't share well in this hobby, to bring up something Scott Cross mentioned earlier. If a man finds six Necco wafers on the ground, then he doesn't have six wafers, but only one, and his five comrades also have a candy apiece. Four gum blankets can sleep two men or two gum blankets can sleep three men. Depends on how folks share or not.

That's my take on it.
                              Last edited by Charles Heath; 01-10-2007, 11:34 AM. Reason: Evidently this keyboard has grown 42 new keys overnight
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

The most frequent problem that I have dealt with in helping others to convert (or having to convince them) is the issue of doing more research. It really is amazing how some people are interested in this era so deeply that they will go out to reenact, yet they seem intimidated by being handed research material. I mean to be a proper living historian you are going to need to know as many details of the era as you can. For most of us it comes completely natural, but for some it is looked at as homework. There are alot of things you can teach people, but eventually they are going to need to read up as well.

That and the issue of money seem to weigh heavy on new converts. When you start adding up how much your impression is gonna cost to upgrade, assuming your starting over, then you will tend to seek out as many "bargains" as you can to avoid spending over 800 dollars for uniform parts alone. I can remember thinking like this when I was coming over from the dark side many years ago and I seemed to be searching for authentic items that weren't as expensive as the usual places to go. Of course I found out that these places either A. Do not exist or B. Are not selling repros of correct construction or material.

And if these issues cannot be overcome , then the individual has discovered what it would take to upgrade to an accurate living historian and has decided that he does not fit the muster. Once I can see new guys seeking better uniform parts and doing any level of research then I know that they are getting the right mentality.

(Of course Paul I have sent your article "Before you buy a thing.." to many people and belive me, it helps.)
                                Last edited by prestontoprail; 01-10-2007, 12:00 PM.
                                Preston Todd
                                Hard Case Boys
                                Top Rail Mess

Comment

Working...
                                X