• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Gouge
    replied
    Re: Perryville AAR

Originally posted by Malingerer
    Mr Gouge,
    Not to split hairs but, the title of this sub-folder is "Authentic Events". There are plenty of other fora where mainstream events which have a campaigner presence can be discussed, but this forum has been, untill recently, a haven for things authentic only. Anyone with a whit of imagination can find a way to carpe eventumat virtually any farbfest - that's not the point - this folder is for the discussion and promotion of events of a decidedly authentic nature. This is a slippery slope gentlemen and I would be saddened to this resource turned into another rant center where the 'streamers' can justify their cots, coolers, and galtroops.
    With respect,
    Mr. Julius,

Who was justfying cots, coolers and galtroops? Personally I have no use for any of them. I forget but were not Corinth and Franklin talked about on this forum? Perryville like those had some aspects that were decent and fun.

I did not think that anyone was promoting anything here. I thought they were just speaking to fact that they had a good time. I suspect that one can choose not to participate in a discussion if they have nothing to add. That might serve to reduce the attention to a given topic which they find abhorent. So if you think Perryville is not worthy of your regard you might choose to not read the comments and not comment, that way it would fade into the past quicker.

It seems to me that AAR strings typically do not last much longer than a week of so. So you probably do not have much longer to suffer.

Leave a comment:

• Malingerer
    replied

Mr Gouge,
    Not to split hairs but, the title of this sub-folder is "Authentic Events". There are plenty of other fora where mainstream events which have a campaigner presence can be discussed, but this forum has been, untill recently, a haven for things authentic only. Anyone with a whit of imagination can find a way to carpe eventumat virtually any farbfest - that's not the point - this folder is for the discussion and promotion of events of a decidedly authentic nature. This is a slippery slope gentlemen and I would be saddened to this resource turned into another rant center where the 'streamers' can justify their cots, coolers, and galtroops.
    With respect,

Leave a comment:

• Hank Trent
    replied

Originally posted by Jerry Gouge
    I would maintain that an authentic campaigner should be able to discuss his experiences on this site regardless of the venue.
    I agree, and one difference I see is how the event is discussed. There's a difference between reporting something like:

"The best part of the event was getting drunk with my friends and listening to Monty Python skits,"

compared to,

"The best part of the event was..." followed by a report of some aspect that authentic campaigners might wish they could have experienced, or something that worked well as a carpe eventum that authentic campaigners might be able to use in the future, etc.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Gouge
    replied

Originally posted by Malingerer
    Mr Cantieri,
    I believe Mr. Butler's comment was a reflection of the fact that this forum used to prohibit all farbisms (e.g. the defense of one's own inauthentic portrayal by pointing out the incredibly tiresome and trite truism that our hobby abounds with inaccuracies (many of which are necessary for our health and safety) and therefore why bother pointing out or correcting subpar impression or performances) and thus a more receptive environment like Szabo's Civil War Reenactors Forum might be a better fit for your personality and attitude (mainstreamers are very welcome there). This forum is spcifically for people who care about authenticity - not with defending the status quo. There was a time when a discussion of this event would not have even made it onto this forum.
    Best regards
    I can see both sides of the whether or not Perryville should be discussed here.
    I guess where I would come down is this is "Authentic Campaigner" site and not "Authentic Event" site. I would maintain that an authentic campaigner should be able to discuss his experiences on this site regardless of the venue.
    That being said if an authentic campaigner attends a mainstream event they know what they are getting into and the associated compromises to their sensibilities they must make. Belittling a mainstream event for being mainstream is like belittling water for being wet.

Unfortunately the desire of the authentic campaigner to attend events where there are a decent array of sutlers and large masses of soldiers makes it necessary, given the current lay of the reenactor landscape, to attend mainstream events. And attendance to said mainstream events results in reduced kitchen passes, vacation days, etc. which could be spent on making quality emersion/by-us-for-us events larger so that they could eventully fulfill the need currently being met by mainstream events.

I am sure this has been said multiple times but at the risk of being redundant... It would be nice if the authentic community could agree on one big event each year that all of us could attend. Then we might see what having a big authentic event was like. I am sure that all that has passed previously would pale in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• Malingerer
    replied

Mr Cantieri,
    I believe Mr. Butler's comment was a reflection of the fact that this forum used to prohibit all farbisms (e.g. the defense of one's own inauthentic portrayal by pointing out the incredibly tiresome and trite truism that our hobby abounds with inaccuracies (many of which are necessary for our health and safety) and therefore why bother pointing out or correcting subpar impression or performances) and thus a more receptive environment like Szabo's Civil War Reenactors Forum might be a better fit for your personality and attitude (mainstreamers are very welcome there). This forum is spcifically for people who care about authenticity - not with defending the status quo. There was a time when a discussion of this event would not have even made it onto this forum.
    Best regards

Leave a comment:

• csa blacksmith
    replied

Originally posted by Jim of The SRR
    Jay,

Not in the AOP camp. I doubt you walked a 1/2 mile to our camp! Please go back to Szabos and get off the AC forum.

Jim
    Jim,

I wasn't talking about the AoP camp, and what the heck is Szabos?

Jay

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Gouge
    replied

Originally posted by Jim of The SRR
    Lauren,

He did a fine job and campaigned and soldiered with the men without complaint! He proved himself tougher than some of the men.

Regards,
    Jim Butler
    Yeah, he was tougher than me. I stayed in camp Saturday (or should I say I volunteered myself for camp guard) while he led the column on the preservation march. He seemed to enjoy himself. We kidded him a right smart and he took it well. He is welcome around our campfire anytime.

Leave a comment:

• Anna Allen
    replied

I love the image! You guys look great! Aw, and what a sweet little baby. :)

Leave a comment:

• S.D.Foster
    replied

I went to Perryville this year. I had gone in 2002 with the AoP and had a great time. This time I went with my wife and 20 month old daughter, so I ended up not going with the AoP so I could dedicate more time to them at the event. I was quite proud of my little one when she started saying "horse" - what better place to learn this word than Kentucky, and what better time than at a re-enactment?

I have to admit the weather was about as perfect as I could have hoped for (after the rain, which happened before I arrived). If all days there could have been like Saturday, and all nights as Saturday night, well I would have considered Kentucky to be Heaven on earth.

We posed for a family image:

Sean Foster

Leave a comment:

• Jim of The SRR
    replied

Lauren,

He did a fine job and campaigned and soldiered with the men without complaint! He proved himself tougher than some of the men.

Regards,
    Jim Butler

Leave a comment:

• 58th C
    replied

Jim and Jerry,
    Thanks for letting my son participate with the AoP- I am sure he was the quietest drummer you've had- and likely the only one in camp asking for more hardtack ( the remains of which little brother ate for a snack yesterday.) He had a great time, but I am sure most events will now pale in comparison to spending time in an authentic camp.

Lauren Kaye

Leave a comment:

• Jim of The SRR
    replied

Originally posted by csa blacksmith
    Oh, almost forgot. was that a authentic flashlight being used for musket inspection in the authentic camp saturday morning? :D
    Jay,

Not in the AOP camp. I doubt you walked a 1/2 mile to our camp! Please go back to Szabos and get off the AC forum.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Jim of The SRR
    replied

Originally posted by PogueMahone
    If you camped without a tent but within the structure and logistical support area of the mainstream camps, you were camping mainstream. I saw a camp near the "village" that was a bunch of bedrolls on the ground. It was in the mainstream area. Was this your camp? Did you have dug sinks or portajohns? We had sinks. There is photographic proof. (The ladies in my office have enjoyed that shot quite a bit, btw.)

And, I, too, am glad you are improving and progressing. But, you need to support progressive units. You need to climb off the fence. Give 100%. Why spend all that money are the better gear and uniforms and then spend all your time in a place that doesn't appreciate it?

It is a challenge, boys and girls. Take it up. Prove yourself to yourself. Take the next step.

trying to remember if I have an auto signature set up or not,

so here goes nothing ...
    And this forum is for those folks who have gotten off the fence! So, I hope the moderators will take note of that.

Jim Butler

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Gouge
    replied

Well I don't much care what Perryville was or was not. I went with good friends, I sat around the campfire with good friends, I campaigned with good friends and I thoroughly enjoyed myself with good friends. Have I been to better, more authentic events? Yes. But to me the trip was worth the 2200 miles I traveled and I had a great time.

My hat is off to those who participated with the Army of the Pacific. As always they do it right and we had a great time.

Much of the rest I care little about.

See you around the campfire.

Leave a comment:

• csa blacksmith
    replied

Oh, almost forgot. was that a authentic flashlight being used for musket inspection in the authentic camp saturday morning? :D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X